cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diversity certifications available on US profiles

Ace Contributor
Jeremiah B Member Since: Jun 5, 2020
21 of 46

ANY of those designations can work against a freelancer.  

The problem here is that Upwork believes it is creating a community of inclusiveness, when in fact, these certifications do the complete opposite.  

If there was no underprivileged/underrepresented groups certification, would you even know who was a minority?  A lesbian?  A veteran?  Who has a disability?  No, you would not.   Inclusivity is the removal of barriers that divide people into groups.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
22 of 46

As Amanda pointed out, these certifications are based on and defined by US legislation and governed by the Small Business Administration. The SBA has designated recognized certifying authorities, such as the NGLCC.

This is not about freelancers. This is not about virtue signaling. This is, as stated by Upwork, about helping Enterprise and Business clients who have diversity and inclusion goals and set-asides fulfill those goals and spend that money. Clients spending more money on Upwork is good for all of us.

Since the enabling legislation is based on inequities within the US, chances are US citizenship or employable residence is a requirement for being counted for the goals and set-asides.

Ace Contributor
23 of 46

Long live the CSR!

Shelley D Member Since: Oct 26, 2020
24 of 46

How do you get these certifications?

Ace Contributor
25 of 46

If you go to your profile and scroll down you should see it on the lower left side.  From there you edit/select the designation you want etc.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
26 of 46

Hi Shelley,

Thanks for your question. We added a new section in your profile called “Diversity Certification” where you can add your information. Once you add the details, the badge will automatically appear. 

Ace Contributor
27 of 46

You know what would be a really useful feature?  A way to get back to the Upwork dashboard after going to the help section or these forums.

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
28 of 46

Hi Jeremiah, just click on the Upwork logo right at the top of the page. 

Untitled
Ace Contributor
29 of 46

It doesn't take me back to the job search area.  It takes me to the login and basically kicks me out of the system. Every other attempt just recycles me back to the community area with no way to go back to the job search dashboard.

There needs to be an easy (and intuitive) way for a freelancer to go back to the job search area - this is where we spend the bulk of our time.

Community Leader
Alexander B Member Since: Mar 30, 2017
30 of 46

Type in Upwork.com in the search bar.

Press enter.

Problem solved. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS