cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diversity certifications available on US profiles

Ace Contributor
Jeremiah B Member Since: Jun 5, 2020
31 of 46

Why don't I just Google it first, then navigate to Yahoo's web browser, then login again as if I were never on the site to begin with?

Kind of defeats the purpose of having a well-designed webpage that is easy to navigate.

Afterall, they took the time to add diversity certifications because it brings in more business revenue, why not take a moment to fix a navigation issue so that freelancers can spend more time looking and applying for work rather than navigating out of the site, then having to come back in?  Wouldn't you want your website optimized to produce the most revenue possible?

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
32 of 46

Thanks, Jeremiah. I didn't realize it was logging you off of Upwork. I will escalate your concern to our developers. 

Untitled
Ionut D Member Since: Jun 26, 2015
33 of 46

But is this not discrimination? For instance, as a gay male who is a freelancer and doesn't have a company...shouldn't I get a badge for being gay? Will the clients simply hire gay people or minorities because they are minorities not because of their actual talent? I constantly see so many low quality presentation designers here who have so many badges simply because they please their clients. Is this the future? Will we get selected based on personal preferences and willingness to submit, not on quality? What about those who refuse to use their gay identity to ear money because they want to be treated like regular individuals not minorities? I can speak on this subject because I am gay and European. I'm sorry Upwork but you are wrong. And I think it's not fair to have agencies that will appear to be LGBTQ+ owned while freelancers who are gay, cannot use this card. Besides, as a gay man, I don't agree with the LGBTQ agenda. What do we do? Don't you think that Upwork goes against human rights and discriminates even the minorities that they apparently try to represent?

Have an excellent day,

George

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
34 of 46

Ionut D wrote:

But is this not discrimination? For instance, as a gay male who is a freelancer and doesn't have a company...shouldn't I get a badge for being gay?

In the US—which at this point defines the parameters of the program—by virtue of being a freelancer/contractor you are a company: a "sole proprietor," informally known as a "d.b.a." (a person doing business as whatever entity. I believe other countries have similar default or self-designations, such as auto-entrepreneur.

Will the clients simply hire gay people or minorities because they are minorities not because of their actual talent?

If one wants to support LGBTQ+ or other minority rights, or invidual gay or other minority people, there are many less convoluted ways to do so. In short: no. Clients come here to get work done, not to make charitable contributions.

I constantly see so many low quality presentation designers here who have so many badges simply because they please their clients.

Upwork does not hand out badges like Halloween candy, on demand. Each one is earned by specific and public criteria; each one means a different thing. Every one of them has nothing to do with us, and everything to do with what clients are looking for. They're like the various kinds of kosher designations or other certifications on food or electronics. In Upwork's eyes, we're the goods, and they will automatically stamp us with, or allow us to apply for, whatever seal of marketability they care to.
Is this the future? Will we get selected based on personal preferences and willingness to submit, not on quality?

As above: no.

What about those who refuse to use their gay identity to ear money because they want to be treated like regular individuals not minorities?
OK. All the more set-asides for me.
I can speak on this subject because I am gay and European. I'm sorry Upwork but you are wrong. And I think it's not fair to have agencies that will appear to be LGBTQ+ owned while freelancers who are gay, cannot use this card.
As someone going through the certification process—through a national private trade group authorized by a government agency—I would not expect "appearing" to be LGBTQ+ owned would be worth the trouble to fake, or a deception easy to long sustain. As some have pointed out, it could be as much a drawback as an advantage. And as Lena has pointed out, Upwork is essentially piloting this program in the US while it researches how it might be made available elsewhere. They do that a lot.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
35 of 46

Edited because I just saw that what I mentioned will be addressed in 2021

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
36 of 46

I would like my genuine certifications to be recognized. I would like that Upwork acknowledge a certain professional body outside of USA (particularly California) as being a professional and globally recognized institution of excellence. I would like Upwork to recognize that breaching copyright of this particular institution is a no-no. 

That said - I want to be recognized professionally, whether I am hetero, gay, black, green, yellow, white, blue, red, **Edited for Community Guidelines**, British, Irish, French  or any other nation that is accepted by "Californian" Upwork. The only label I accept is the one I give myself. 

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
37 of 46

Nichola L wrote:

....I want to be recognized professionally, whether I am hetero, gay, black, green, yellow, white, blue, red, **Edited for Community Guidelines**, British, Irish, French  or any other nation that is accepted by "Californian" Upwork. The only label I accept is the one I give myself. 

OK. That's why the diversity badges, unlike the ones bestowed by our profitability metrics, have to be applied for. I'm not sure why the swipe at California—the relevant statutes, regulations, and SEC rules are federal/national.

Jarrett N Member Since: May 28, 2020
38 of 46

I can only speak to my own field and situation, but folks are mixing apples and oranges in responses.

Here is an example:  Federal construction projects in the US, by law, require companies to certify prior to bidding that they are either Veteran-Owned or disclose how many veterans that the company has on staff.  So a Landscape Architecture firm that wants to bid on a Veterans Cemetery project is required to certify prior to putting in a bid.  Because there are not a lot of military veterans working in the Landscape Architecture field, so potential contracts and projects go unfulfilled due to lack of required diversity certification.

Companies look to hire freelancers with the diversity certifications to meet statutory requirements in the US, that is why it is important for UpWork to be able to accomodate those of us with those certifications.  It opens up a whole other segment of the market for may firms to bid on projects that they would otherwise not be able to bid on and subsequently opens opportunities for freelancers to get on larger projects. 

It makes sense that a US base company would start a program like this in the US.  In the future, if upwork is able to accomodate to the requirements of other countries, that would be great.  People-Per-Hour is doing something similiar to meet the statutory requirements in the UK (People-Per-Hour is a UK based freelancing company)

Jarrett N Member Since: May 28, 2020
39 of 46

I am not seeing the button on my profile page.  I would like to add my certification number.

Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
40 of 46

Hi Jarrett,

I have shared your concern with the team so that they can check. One of our agents will also reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further. 

-Joanne
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS