cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earnings Replacing Hours Worked in Search

lenaellis
Lena E Moderator Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 200

Today on Upwork, we display freelancer and agency experience as “Hours worked,” both in Freelancer Search and on the client’s proposals page. However, freelancers with more fixed-price work experience have told us this puts them at a disadvantage when clients are evaluating candidates.  For example, even though they have a ton of experience and/or have worked on some highly valuable contracts on Upwork due to their skill set and experience, their profiles may show as little as one hour worked. These freelancers have told us this is an unfair representation of their experience and could be misleading to clients.

To resolve this concern, in place of hours worked we will be displaying an earnings range (e.g.: $1+, $100+, $200+) in Search and on the candidates page for clients. With this change, we’re now showing a single measurement that is applicable for all freelancers if they choose to display this information. In addition, by hovering over this range with your mouse, we will show the number of hourly and fixed-price jobs completed, along with total hours worked. Check out the screenshot below.

earningsontile.png

If you’re a freelancer on a Plus membership and have elected to hide your earnings, they will continue to be hidden as before. In Search, your profile will not display earnings nor a mouseover with the additional information about number of fixed-price and hourly contracts. We will be adding a search filter for clients that will allow them to filter their Freelancer Search results by these new ranges. Freelancers who have their earnings set to private will not appear in these filtered search results unless the client sets the filter to “Any Earnings.”

In making this change, we’ve carefully considered the input you’ve shared with us about how Upwork represents experience. We hope this solution will better help you showcase your experience and potential value to clients in the future.

Untitled
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 200

Love it!

Freelancers who do mostly fixed-price contracts and feel they've been disadvantaged will welcome this.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 200

I don't like the "earnings range" as much as I would like a direct "earnings" figure being displayed. But this is a minor quibble.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 200

Lena, I'm rather confused by this announcement. First, you wrote, "To resolve this concern, in place of hours worked we will be displaying an earnings range (e.g.: $1+, $100+, $200+) in Search and on the candidates page for clients."

Has this been rolled out already? I lack a client account so cannot login as a client and do a search, so the best I can do is do a freelancer search without logging in, and when I do this right now, it's displaying hours worked and not earnings. Also, by displaying earnings in a range, is that total earnings lifetime as an Upwork freelancer?

You also wrote, 'We will be adding a search filter for clients that will allow them to filter their Freelancer Search results by these new ranges. Freelancers who have their earnings set to private will not appear in these filtered search results unless the client sets the filter to “Any Earnings.”' Just to clarify, this only applies to Plus members who choose earnings privacy, and does not refer to whether a profile is public or only visible to logged in users?

Thanks

5 of 200

Hi John, thanks for your reply.

To answer your questions:

Has this been rolled out already?

This has not rolled out yet. Our timeline is to have earnings replace hours worked in search and on the client candidate page sometime in the next week or two.

Also, by displaying earnings in a range, is that total earnings lifetime as an Upwork freelancer?

Earnings displayed will be lifetime earnings on Upwork. For those freelancers who merged their accounts from Elance, those earnings will also be included in your lifetime earnings.

Just to clarify, this only applies to Plus members who choose earnings privacy, and does not refer to whether a profile is public or only visible to logged in users?
Correct, Plus Members have the ability to hide their earnings, which may affect how they appear in search if a client utilizes the earnings filter to select a certain range.  

-Lena

Untitled
claudiacezy
Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
6 of 200

@Lena E wrote:

Earnings displayed will be lifetime earnings on Upwork. For those freelancers who merged their accounts from Elance, I will double check to see if those are included or not.

What a shame if the Elance earnings are not included! The majority of complaints regarding displaying the number of hours vs jobs came from Elancers.

lenaellis
7 of 200

Hi Claudia,

I just got confirmation that yes Elance earnings are including if you merged your account. I will update my post from earlier.

-Lena

Untitled
claudiacezy
Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
8 of 200

@Lena E wrote:
I just got confirmation that yes Elance earnings are including if you merged your account. I will update my post from earlier.

Does it include the earnings from clients who did not migrate/duplicate their accounts? The Upwork Lifetime Billings does not include those.

"this solution will better help you showcase your experience and potential value to clients in the future."

Why not display the earnings range only to clients with a verified payment method?

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
9 of 200

Hi Claudia,

A migrated freelancer account will include all their Elance earnings regardless if the cliets they worked with migrated to Upwork and continued their relationship. It's the same process as with displaying Elance contracts in their Upwork profile, which are shown in their entirety.

Untitled
kalaani
Community Leader
Kalaani W Member Since: Jan 14, 2016
10 of 200

Also, by displaying earnings in a range, is that total earnings lifetime as an Upwork freelancer?

Earnings displayed will be lifetime earnings on Upwork. For those freelancers who merged their accounts from Elance, I will double check to see if those are included or not.

-Lena

First i like to thanks for UW , for this new idea . But if you not plan to add previous Elancers, its not good at all . There must be technical issue, but ignoring them is really bad idea . Let's hope that will not happen .

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS