Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Earnings Replacing Hours Worked in Search

kalaani
Community Leader
Kalaani W Member Since: Jan 14, 2016
31 of 200

I think you should consider, what freelancer doing ... rather than earnings .

For example, Technical Writer Vs Other Witer

Technical Writer can earn more in less jobs . So its not fair to other Writer 

Example 2 : Logo Designer Vs UI Designer 

In here UI designer can easily earn than logo designer .

I think its more important and tough achivement , wining different jobs with different clients . So earning can mislead clients too .  Let's change it to number of jobs. Not to Earnings . Smiley Very Happy

garnorm
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
32 of 200

That could get really confusing Kalaani, and quite overwhelming for a client.

We want to give clients straightforward ways to evaluate candidates. Earnings by itself isn't the sole factor clients should look at, we agree. But neither is hours worked, nor projects completed. Our goal with this change is to provide a more level playing field for freelancers who have historically focused on fixed-price projects and who have told us they felt disadvantaged in Search results and on the client's proposal pages. 

Remember, clients still see hours worked AND total jobs on your profile (on the right hand side, under Work History). And, they can still see this detail when hovering over the earnings range in Search results. 

jessicasimko
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
33 of 200

@Lena E wrote:

Hey Rene touché.

We did evaluate that option but found the value of displaying fixed-price jobs are often inadequately represented by the number of projects completed. For example, a freelancer may only have 1 job displayed because the client continued to add milestones to the same contract. Displaying earnings instead, yet adding the mouse-over to account for the full work history, offers a better representation of a freelancer's experience on Upwork. 

-Lena

I do mostly all fixed price jobs and I love this new style. Thanks!  

This widget could not be displayed.
34 of 200

This is completely inacceptable for all Plus membership freelancers on Upwork!!! As soon as the other Plus members will become aware of this you will hear their voices. You have to amend the search algorithm to solve this problem.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
35 of 200

I don't understand ... this isn't even remotely what we where hoping for. Seems like a simple request was made unnecessarily complicated/confusing/confounding.

Scratches head.

tgano
Community Guru
Tracye G Member Since: Sep 30, 2008
36 of 200

Why can't you display both hours and income??? I would like for my hours to show!!

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
37 of 200

Hi Tracye,

Your total hours billed as well as the number of fixed-price and hourly jobs will show when hovering over the earnings range with your mouse.

Screenshot_25.png

~ Valeria
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
38 of 200

re: "However, that does not mean that I do not want to appear in search results anymore."

Are we sure this is what the change means?

There is a big difference between the following two options:

A) the default search that a client conducts includes an earnings range, and freelancers who hide their earning will never appear in these default searches

[or]

B) the default search a client condcuts does not include earnings range. Only if the client proactively searchs using the optional earnings range field do earnings-hiding freelancers drop out of search results.

39 of 200

@Preston H wrote:

re: "However, that does not mean that I do not want to appear in search results anymore."

Are we sure this is what the change means?

There is a big difference between the following two options:

A) the default search that a client conducts includes an earnings range, and freelancers who hide their earning will never appear in these default searches

[or]

B) the default search a client condcuts does not include earnings range. Only if the client proactively searchs using the optional earnings range field do earnings-hiding freelancers drop out of search results.

There is a difference but both are bad.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
40 of 200

I only work part time.  There are very few appropriate jobs in my category. I have no problem with the no. of fixed price and hourly jobs being shown.  I have a HUGE problem with my earnings being shown as this is not information that the client needs to know to choose a freelancer.

I would rather see a breakdown of the number of hourly jobs/ average price per hour and maybe number of fixed price jobs, no pay information and maybe limit it to the last 12 months.  That way, those of us who have doubled our hourly fees won't be penalized in the averaging.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS