cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earnings Replacing Hours Worked in Search

This widget could not be displayed.
91 of 200

If Upwork does not want paid memberships they should abolish them. However, I do not think that they do not like them as they contribute to their credit standing.

reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
92 of 200

@Preston H wrote:

re: "All freelancers PAY (!!!!)- even if they just PAY (!!!!) commission on their earnings."

Many freelancers pay nothing.

If a freelancer maintains an account on Upwork, but has not earned any money, and has a standard free membership plan, that freelancer pays nothing.

Furthermore, even if a freelancer with a free membership DOES earn money, that freelancer is never asked to provide a credit card number of PayPal account. The only money that the freelancer "pays" is money withheld from the money paid by the client.

Preston, then the questions of being able to hide earnings (or not), or appearing (or not) in searches do not arise , do they?

But then again, we are talking about the notion that paid memberships subsidize all free membership plans, which should make members like you and I thoroughly ashamed of ourselves.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
93 of 200

re: "But then again, we are talking about the notion that paid memberships subsidize all free membership plans, which should make members like you and I thoroughly ashamed of ourselves."

You're welcome to look at my profile page and work history.

Pretty sure nobody is subsidizing me.

reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
94 of 200

@Preston H wrote:

Pretty sure nobody is subsidizing me.

Exactly my point. My comment was meant to be a tongue in cheek response to the notions that -

1.) paid memberships somehow subsidize free membership plans,

2.) that members who have paid memberships are somehow entitled to certain dubious benefits, and,

3, that some members should be "ashamed" of themselves because they are being "subsidized" by those who hold paid memberships, and are having  free ride as a result.

I apologize if I offended you in any way, but my comment was meant purely as a tongue in cheek response.  

95 of 200

Some people had great ideas that have not been completely thought out - at least in regard to Plus memberships and clients who hide their earnings. I wonder whose idea it was to exclude Plus members from search results in case a client selects the criterion "earnings". And I contradict that Upwork would prefer if there were not any Plus members. Plus members for example legitimize themselves with their credit card data. Nobody has to check them if they are fake or not.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
96 of 200

Paid membership does not subsidise free membership. If anyone subsidises anyone else the freelancers who earn a decent amount of money without costing a lot of money (with disputes, support requests, other behaviour that costs money) subsidise those whose accounts earn less than they cost to maintain (with disputes, support requests, other behaviour that costs money.)

In other words, profitable (for the company) freelancers subsidise unprofitable (for the company) ones.

I see where Preston's idea is coming from though.

I am inclined to believe the often repeated statement that hiding rates discourages clients from inviting or hiring a freelancer they might otherwise have hired. If that leads to just $ 50 a month less billings (which is nothing) then the $ 10 membership simply offsets the loss caused by $ 50 not being billed and $ 10 not being earned in fees for the company.

97 of 200

Now Plus members even harm Upwork! I am happy that I just have cancelled my Plus membership so that I do not harm Upwork anymore by paying extra 120 USD + VAT per year. Clients can select freelancers within a range of hourly rates they are able or willing to pay. I doubt they are studying what has been paid by other clients for different work (yes, some may do). And it has never been shown to us how this statement that hiding ones earnings hinders being hired has been evaluated. In January my earnings will be publicly shown and I can check this hypothesis. If my earnings will explode then I will let you know. However, at first my hiring rates will decline because my profile will be hidden in search results as explained above. Moreover, I started on Upwork with a paid membership before the feature hiding ones earnings was established. So, I have experienced already what happens when all my earnings are visible.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
98 of 200

@Margarete M wrote:

1) Now Plus members even harm Upwork!

2) Clients can select freelancers within a range of hourly rates they are able or willing to pay. I doubt they are studying what has been paid by other clients for different work (yes, some may do).

1) I didn't say that, Margarete. Smiley Wink

2) Believe me, they do. Or rather they take a quick look if things add up. It makes sense to do so. I do when I hire for myself, and when looking for potential freelancers for my clients to hire. I pass on those with hidden earnings on both occasions. Obviously I would not pass you by because I "know" you (and have sent your profile to clients several times actually) but in general, yes. If I have a list of 20 potential freelancers of a similar caliber and some have their rates hidden and the rest look just as good and do not, the ones with the hidden rates don't get invited. It is what it is. When someone hides something one can't help but wonder what is hidden. Of course one can quite easily find the hidden info anyway, but why bother when there are scores more where no detective work is necessary?

As a freelancer I also find that I don't get anywhere near the number of dirt cheap invites others in our field(s) are complaining about. It could be that they can see I actually DO get paid what I say I would like to get paid, hence they don't waste their (and thus my) time as often.

99 of 200

Then Upwork's enterprise clients should not hide the freelancers' earnings as well if publicly shown hourly rates and earnings are so important for being hired.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
100 of 200

@Margarete M wrote:

Now Plus members even harm Upwork! 

No one has extended all this drama to "Plus members" generally. Plus members have the option of displaying their earnings like everyone else does.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS