Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earnings Replacing Hours Worked in Search

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
191 of 200

On Upwork an Enterprise Client is a generally large client who hires a lot of freelancers for all sorts of projects large and small, long and short term, one offs, repeat, ongoing.....

Again... what about the above makes them something to avoid?

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
192 of 200

Most honest answer I can give is the same thing I posted earlier ...

We have spent years in corporate - doing corporate 'stuff'. We prefer and often seek out jobs we want for 1) variety, 2) mental/emotion connection with the subject matter and 3) God forbid - making 100k on U is of zero importance to us.

We're the ones who do what we do because we're not out to impress a bunch of folk. We've already done that.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
193 of 200

@Wendy C wrote:

Most honest answer I can give is the same thing I posted earlier ...

We have spent years in corporate - doing corporate 'stuff'. We prefer and often seek out jobs we want for 1) variety, 2) mental/emotion connection with the subject matter and 3) God forbid - making 100k on U is of zero importance to us.

We're the ones who do what we do because we're not out to impress a bunch of folk. We've already done that.

Yes, I read that. I don't understand what that has to do with whether the client who posts a project that would usually be "up your street" is Enterprise or not....

I know people who seek out smaller jobs from Enterprise clients for the reasons you state as reasons to avoid them...  (because the jobs offer 1) variety, 2) mental/emotion connection with the subject matter.)

Plus not having to pay 20% fees helps, too.

I also find the everything after 3) quite offensive. You make it sound as if people who have higher Upwork Earnings have them to "impress a bunch of folk" rather than because they just earned it. I didn't earn money to impress folk, I earn money so I can live in Italy and walk to the beach and take the afternoon off to visit a mountain village or take photos, and so I can afford to feed an army of homeless cats.

I could not give two hoots whether anything I do impresses anyone (other than my clients,)  Because, you know, I have already done that, too.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
194 of 200

Petra, my ending line was not intended for you.  I've never read a post from you that was other than relevant and helpful. The line was in reference to many people's constant obsession with JSS and stats overall.  

Sure, stats can be important - but, as you stated and I agree with 110% (and have said repeatedly) the only stats I care about are my clients'  success and my bottom line.

Upwork is one of numerous tools in a freelancer's briefcase.  There will always be standards and stats measuring effectiveness of these tools.

So, it seems we might agree after all.  Smiley Wink 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
195 of 200
Wendy seriously has no idea about freelancing for big companies. None of them do anything like what she is describing. As a matter of fact, they are usually more personable, flexible on time and only care that you're getting things done.

That whole post makes no sense.
cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
196 of 200

In Lena's original post, she states "...in place of hours worked we will be displaying an earnings range (e.g.: $1+, $100+, $200+) in Search and on the candidates page for clients..."

I posted two new jobs today. If I "View Suggested Freelancers" I see this change - the earnings range displays, and I mouseover it to see the breakdown of hourly contracts/fixed price jobs/hours worked (incidentally, wouldn't it make more sense to be hourly contracts/hours worked/fixed price jobs, i.e. put hourly contracts and hours worked together instead of having fixed price in the middle? But I digress...)..

But when I actually "Review Proposals" it is still showing hours worked, and the hours worked has no mouseover.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
197 of 200

Jennifer,

Yes, we we stated in the original post, at this point earnings are replacing hours worked in search and no changes have been made to the applicants' page. I'll share your feedback will the team in case they are considering adding this information to the applicants' page in the future as well.

Thanks.

~ Valeria
Upwork
cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
198 of 200

@Valeria K wrote:

Jennifer,

Yes, we we stated in the original post, at this point earnings are replacing hours worked in search and no changes have been made to the applicants' page. I'll share your feedback will the team in case they are considering adding this information to the applicants' page in the future as well.

Thanks.

Sorry, Valeria, but that's directly contradicting what Lena says in her original post, which should perhaps therefore be edited. I quoted it above and I'll quote it again:

@Lena E wrote:

...To resolve this concern, in place of hours worked we will be displaying an earnings range (e.g.: $1+, $100+, $200+) in Search and on the candidates page for clients. With this change, we’re now showing a single measurement that is applicable for all freelancers if they choose to display this information. In addition, by hovering over this range with your mouse, we will show the number of hourly and fixed-price jobs completed, along with total hours worked... 

What is the "candidates page" if not the "applicants page"?

It's also quite confusing to switch between two related pages which display the information differently.

(Edited to add emphasis to the appropriate phrase)

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
199 of 200

Sorry about confusion, Jennifer. We'll check with the team about this and get back to you with more information.

~ Valeria
Upwork
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
200 of 200

Jennifer,

I got a confirmation from the team that total earnings will be added to all profile tiles on the applicants' page. We don't have ETA yet but this change is already in progress.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS