Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earnings Replacing Hours Worked in Search

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
71 of 200

@Virginia F wrote:

I'm not sure, but I think the issue for some of us has to do with what category we work in. Except for a few repeat clients who give me numerous jobs every year, most all my jobs are one-offs, and they are all flat rate. As has been said, all I wanted was for those jobs to count for something on my profile.

It would be nice if consideration was given for individual catergories - but I realize this may not be doable.

If it is doable to hang out our "total worth" - to publish a sort of Forbes list of who is deemed worthy of being hired by clients who may not have a clue what they are looking for - it should be doable to categorize skills.

But hey - one must be very careful of what one wishes for - analysis by a handful of favored freelancers seems to be order of the day. I would really like to know how representative the "some freelancers" consulted on this issue were - and indeed, how many.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
72 of 200

@Nichola L wrote:

- analysis by a handful of favored freelancers seems to be order of the day. I would really like to know how representative the "some freelancers" consulted on this issue were - and indeed, how many.

I must have missed the post mentioning freelancers consulted on this issue. I take it you weren't and neither was I. I'd especially be interested in knowing if a majority of the consulted freelancers disagreed with the upcoming changes.

Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
73 of 200

@John K wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

- analysis by a handful of favored freelancers seems to be order of the day. I would really like to know how representative the "some freelancers" consulted on this issue were - and indeed, how many.

I must have missed the post mentioning freelancers consulted on this issue. I take it you weren't and neither was I. I'd especially be interested in knowing if a majority of the consulted freelancers disagreed with the upcoming changes.

@ Page 3 of this post Garnor M wrote:

"Hi Rene, 

$, $$, $$$ symbols were something we considered. We actually reviewed that option with some freelancers and that was the option they liked the least. It left too much room for interpretation."

This widget could not be displayed.
74 of 200

@Valeria K wrote:

Margarete,

We heard suggestions to add the number of fixed-price projects only and evaluated this option. Garnor and Lena shared earlier on this thread why we ultimately decided against doing that. The value of long-term fixed-price jobs is often inadequately represented by the number of projects completed. Now clients will have more complete information to evaluate freelancer's experience. They will be able to see total earnings, number of fixed-price jobs and total hours.

Additionally, I would like to once again address your concern about showing in search. Hiding earnings hasn't and won't affect a profile's position in search engines such as Google search (provided the profile is public) or Upwork freelancer search unless the filter by earnings is applied.

Yes, but this is exactly the new perk for clients to help them finding the right freelancers and they will make use of it. I cannot afford that my already very small opportunities for acceptable invites (I do not talk about bogus invites, 0.01 USD per word translations/copywriting/translation repair or PR campaigns for 40 USD) will be even more reduced and therefore I had to act in self-defence and had to cancel my Plus membership. If others are in multiple talent clouds and pro groups and whatever it should not be a problem for them if they do not appear in search sometimes but for me it is a problem.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
75 of 200

re: "but this is exactly the new perk for clients to help them finding the right freelancers and they will make use of it."

If you let a client optionally search by earnings range, and you let freelancer choose to hide their earnings range... then by definition, you can't display those freelancers within the client's search results for that particular type of search.

You seem to be saying this is not okay.

Then what do you suggest?

76 of 200

@Preston H wrote:

re: "but this is exactly the new perk for clients to help them finding the right freelancers and they will make use of it."

If you let a client optionally search by earnings range, and you let freelancer choose to hide their earnings range... then by definition, you can't display those freelancers within the client's search results for that particular type of search.

You seem to be saying this is not okay.

Then what do you suggest?

Keeping ones earnings private never was intended to be a selection criteria to exclude freelancers from search results.

The problem could have been solved differently and more sophisticated, Petra for example has suggested another solution. What Upwork offers now is not reasonable (excluding successful freelancers from search results as soon as the client selects the criteria earnings) and not fair (in either case the freelancers who pay an extra fee will have less chances to be invited by clients, this is obvious), Have the Plus membership freelancers also been asked if it is OK for them that there will be less chances for them hence?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
77 of 200

@Preston H wrote:

It could be solved easily and fairly.

• Give freelancers who PAY (!!!!) the option to show in the "minimum earnings" searches according to their earnings, without displaying their own earnings range on their profile

or / and

• Give freelancers who PAY (!!!!) the option to show their earnings range but not their per-contract earnings.
reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
78 of 200

@Petra R wrote:

@Preston H wrote:

It could be solved easily and fairly.

• Give freelancers who PAY (!!!!) the option to show in the "minimum earnings" searches according to their earnings, without displaying their own earnings range on their profile

or / and

• Give freelancers who PAY (!!!!) the option to show their earnings range but not their per-contract earnings.

All freelancers PAY (!!!!)- even if they just PAY (!!!!) commission on their earnings.

If you are referring to PAID (!!!!) membership plans, then perhaps you should initiate a campaign to have free membership plans scrapped.

79 of 200

@Reinier B wrote:

All freelancers PAY (!!!!)- even if they just PAY (!!!!) commission on their earnings.

If you are referring to PAID (!!!!) membership plans, then perhaps you should initiate a campaign to have free membership plans scrapped.

To clarify this: The discussion is about freelancers who have a Plus membership and pay 10 USD (+VAT for EU freelancers) extra each month. One of the features of these membership is that they can hide their earnings for each job.

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
80 of 200

I think it has been asked before but I can't remember reading an answer.

Does this change mean that currently hidden earnings from Upwork and other enterprise clients will be made visible? Or at least displayed on the freelancer's profiles?

If not, how will providers that mostly work for clients that have opted to hide their payments be affected by the use of the filter by earnings?

ETA: I cannot imagine why any client would want to use this filter - IMHO, total earnings don't convey any usable insight whatsoever.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS