Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earnings Replacing Hours Worked in Search

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
81 of 200

@Ela K wrote:

I think it has been asked before but I can't remember reading an answer.

Does this change mean that currently hidden earnings from Upwork and other enterprise clients will be made visible? Or at least displayed on the freelancer's profiles?

I would assume (!) that they are counted into the total earnings without the $ amount showing against the respective contracts on either side. 

So it should make no difference.

in case they are not counted ( most unlikely) the vast majority of my income would not count.....

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
82 of 200

@Ela K wrote:

I think it has been asked before but I can't remember reading an answer.

Does this change mean that currently hidden earnings from Upwork and other enterprise clients will be made visible? Or at least displayed on the freelancer's profiles?

No. If you’ve opted to hide your earnings they will continue to be hidden as they were before, and your result in search will not include your earnings information.

Untitled
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
83 of 200

@Vladimir G wrote:

@Ela K wrote:

No. If you’ve opted to hide your earnings they will continue to be hidden as they were before, and your result in search will not include your earnings information.

Vladimir, that isn't what she asked ...

She asked if the payments and rates paid BY ENTERPRISE CLIENTS who chose the financial privacy option (what they pay is not shown on their or their freelancers profiles) will be made visible or displayed on the freelancer's profile (presumably meaning whether they will count into the freelancer's total earnings despite the client making them invisible)

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
84 of 200

Petra is correct - that's what I meant.

Does hidden income count towards total earnings when it's the client's decision to hide the payment?

Will it be included in the displayed earnings range?

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
85 of 200

Hi Ela and Petra,

Thanks for clarifying. I'll need to check with the team before I can confirm but would expect these earnings are included in the total.

Untitled
claudiacezy
Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
86 of 200

@Lena E wrote:

These freelancers have told us this is an unfair representation of their experience and could be misleading to clients.

To resolve this concern, in place of hours worked we will be displaying an earnings range (e.g.: $1+, $100+, $200+)

Isn't it also misleading to display total earnings regardless the category those earnings were generated in? There is no filter for number of jobs/hours completed by job category.

@Gyan D wrote:

At the very least, the hours count shown in the applicant list should be restricted to jobs in the same category. One egregious case I saw earlier this year was an applicant for a video editing job with 2500+ hours logged. Turns out, 2300+ hours were for 'web research' and data entry jobs at $3-4. That's a completely misleading indicator.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Hours-worked-vs-number-of-jobs/td-p/143203/page/3

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
87 of 200

re: "Isn't it also misleading to display total earnings regardless the category those earnings were generated in?"

How is it misleading?

If a freelancer has earned $14,000....

and Upwork classifies that freelancer's total earnings in the "$10,000 to $15,000 range...

...why would it be misleading to accurately identify the freelancer's total earnings if the freelancer's work was in the "writing" category instead of the "graphic design" category?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
88 of 200

re: "All freelancers PAY (!!!!)- even if they just PAY (!!!!) commission on their earnings."

Many freelancers pay nothing.

If a freelancer maintains an account on Upwork, but has not earned any money, and has a standard free membership plan, that freelancer pays nothing.

Furthermore, even if a freelancer with a free membership DOES earn money, that freelancer is never asked to provide a credit card number of PayPal account. The only money that the freelancer "pays" is money withheld from the money paid by the client.

So I personally see a big difference between freelancers with a "paid" versus "free" membership plan.

And I have no problem thinking of myself as a freelancer who has never paid Upwork anything, but has only received money, despite the objections some people have to this way of thinking.

This widget could not be displayed.
89 of 200
This widget could not be displayed.

The steady regulary income from the freelancers who pay/paid for the membership has supported Upwork's ability to give away this membership to others for free. Paid memberships are a solid source of income for a company. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
90 of 200

I believe Upwork would be perfectly happy to have zero paid memberships, but that it instituted paid memberships as a way to provide services to freelancers who demand certain services which Upwork feels undermine profitability, such as the ability to hide earnings.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS