🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Editing Available for Active Milestones
Page options

Editing Available for Active Milestones

lenaellis
Community Member

Today, we have released additional options to milestone management for active milestones. Freelancers can now propose changes to the milestone name, due date, description, or amount (increase only) of active milestones.

We made this update because we understand that there can be changes in scope or level of effort once work has begun on a given milestone and we want customers to have more control over their contracts and how they are organized, even after the work has started.  Previously, milestones couldn’t be edited once they were active. When changes needed to be made on active milestones, the only option was to end the contract, refund money in escrow, and begin a new one. This was a tedious and frustrating experience.

Today, we are thrilled to introduce the ability to edit active milestones. This works the same as our existing milestone change process. To ensure mutual acceptance from both clients and freelancers on changes to active milestones, all changes will need to first be proposed by the freelancer and then accepted by the client. Changes are made by clicking the edit button (pencil icon) on the active milestone. 

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 8.21.16 AM.png

When a change involves an increase in a milestone amount, additional funds are deposited into Escrow once changes are approved.

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 8.21.41 AM.png

We know this change has been requested for a while and are glad to have this functionality now available. Let us know if you have any questions.

21 Comments
m_terrazas
Community Member

Lena E wrote:

Today, we have released additional options to milestone management for active milestones. Freelancers can now propose changes to the milestone name, due date, description, or amount (increase only) of active milestones.

We made this update because we understand that there can be changes in scope or level of effort once work has begun on a given milestone and we want customers to have more control over their contracts and how they are organized, even after the work has started.  Previously, milestones couldn’t be edited once they were active. When changes needed to be made on active milestones, the only option was to end the contract, refund money in escrow, and begin a new one. This was a tedious and frustrating experience.

Today, we are thrilled to introduce the ability to edit active milestones. This works the same as our existing milestone change process. To ensure mutual acceptance from both clients and freelancers on changes to active milestones, all changes will need to first be proposed by the freelancer and then accepted by the client. Changes are made by clicking the edit button (pencil icon) on the active milestone. 

When a change involves an increase in a milestone amount, additional funds are deposited into Escrow once changes are approved.

We know this change has been requested for a while and are glad to have this functionality now available. Let us know if you have any questions.

Sounds like a nice change to me, but why just increase the amount of money?
Some milestones need the opposite change.
It has happened to me. We solved it with the following milestone because it was a job with a trusted client, but if not?

lenaellis
Community Member

Hi Maria,

Since funds are already in escrow for the amount of the active milestone, if you wanted to decrease the amount on the milestone, it would need to go through the escrow refund request process.

jaybopp82
Community Member

Right.  What I think Maria was suggesting is that if we were to decrease the amount, then go ahead and refund the difference to the client.

Also - maybe add to the message "Please discuss with the client.." something along the lines of "all changes will need to be approved by the client."  This will better deter sneaky freelancers trying to pull a quick one on the client.

Nice change, though.  Thanks.

m_terrazas
Community Member

Lena E wrote:

Hi Maria,

Since funds are already in escrow for the amount of the active milestone, if you wanted to decrease the amount on the milestone, it would need to go through the escrow refund request process.

Thanks for the explanation Lena.
But, the idea that @Jason B comments seems to me something feasible without having to do anything complicated, don't you think?
The milestone is finished and it has cost less money, I return the difference to the client and everyone is so happy Robot Happy

rasmawan4
Community Member

Sound good, I have an experience, recently I have a nice client, but he was new on upwork, not to much familier, how system run, When I complete first milestone, he want some more works, I suggest him to create another milestone, but he was facing some issues to creat another milestone, then I propose him another milestone, which was popup just botton left of active milestone, when I create milestone, he approve it. I think it is another option which is available over there with these chaging which you mention.

jr-translation
Community Member

Lena E wrote:

I have been trying the feature with a client.

While the new amount I can see on the "My Jobs" page and in the contract itself. The amount on the "Reports" page is not updating (even several hours after the change).

JoanneP

Hi Jennifer,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. Could you please try to use a different browser or clear your cache and cookies? If the issue persists, please let us know. Thank you!

Edit: I checked your account again, and I would just like to confirm if you are referring to the milestones under the work in progress or the ones under in review?

jr-translation
Community Member

Joanne Marie P wrote:

Hi Jennifer,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. Could you please try to use a different browser or clear your cache and cookies? If the issue persists, please let us know. Thank you!

Edit: I checked your account again, and I would just like to confirm if you are referring to the milestones under the work in progress or the ones under in review?

It is the Reports > Overview that is wrong. I have a $414 job still showing as $50.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Jennifer, 

Joanne and I were able to locate the job you're referring to and see that the amount didn't update in the Reports. The milestone is updated and has the new amount funded. However, I am definitely going to flag the issue with Reports not updating with the new information to our product team and get back to you once I hear back. 

988c216b
Community Member

Thank you Maria and Jason for the feedback and suggestions! To Lena's point, if the active milestone amount is decreased, we'd need to refund the difference that's already in escrow. I'll take this suggestion back to the team and think about how we could facilitate this type of adjustment to active milestones.