🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Editing Available for Active Milestones
Page options

Editing Available for Active Milestones

lenaellis
Community Member

Today, we have released additional options to milestone management for active milestones. Freelancers can now propose changes to the milestone name, due date, description, or amount (increase only) of active milestones.

We made this update because we understand that there can be changes in scope or level of effort once work has begun on a given milestone and we want customers to have more control over their contracts and how they are organized, even after the work has started.  Previously, milestones couldn’t be edited once they were active. When changes needed to be made on active milestones, the only option was to end the contract, refund money in escrow, and begin a new one. This was a tedious and frustrating experience.

Today, we are thrilled to introduce the ability to edit active milestones. This works the same as our existing milestone change process. To ensure mutual acceptance from both clients and freelancers on changes to active milestones, all changes will need to first be proposed by the freelancer and then accepted by the client. Changes are made by clicking the edit button (pencil icon) on the active milestone. 

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 8.21.16 AM.png

When a change involves an increase in a milestone amount, additional funds are deposited into Escrow once changes are approved.

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 8.21.41 AM.png

We know this change has been requested for a while and are glad to have this functionality now available. Let us know if you have any questions.

21 Comments
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Jennifer,

I was just informed that the issue with the updated amount not showing in Reports has been addresses. Could you please let me know if you still don't see it updating on the Reports page?

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

This is great.

lucioric
Community Member

Would it be a good idea that the contract name can also be proposed a change to?.

JoanneP

Hi Lucio,

I'll share your feedback with the team for consideration. Thank you.

andersonle
Community Member

Hi!

My client and I have a contract for $1300, which should be completed over 6 weeks. I accepted the contract and everything is all good, but today I just had a thought that I'd rather it be divided into milestones. So I don't get to the end of the 6 weeks and something goes wrong and I end up not getting paid. Can I ask him to add milestones in an existing contract, is that possible? Or would he need to make a new contract?

Thank you

AleksandarD
Community Manager

Hi Lauren,

Please refer to this post for more information on how you can propose change for an active milestone. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

e_luneborg
Community Member

Maria T wrote:

Sounds like a nice change to me, but why just increase the amount of money?
Some milestones need the opposite change.
It has happened to me. We solved it with the following milestone because it was a job with a trusted client, but if not?

Maria, can't this be solved by only requesting payment for a partial amount of the milestone? Unless my mind is playing tricks on me, it has always been possible to adjust the amount you request payment for, and then the rest is refunded to the client, or?

e_luneborg
Community Member

This is a really nice feature. It will save all the hassle of trying to remember to add a bonus for the freelancer in addition to releasing the active milestone (which I do forget sometimes...). And from the freelancer perspective, it means we can have all the funds escrowed even if the scope of the milestone is slightly increased, and that I do appreciate, especially if it's with a new client. So thanks for this Upwork. 🙂

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

Lauren A wrote:

Hi!

My client and I have a contract for $1300, which should be completed over 6 weeks. I accepted the contract and everything is all good, but today I just had a thought that I'd rather it be divided into milestones. So I don't get to the end of the 6 weeks and something goes wrong and I end up not getting paid. Can I ask him to add milestones in an existing contract, is that possible? Or would he need to make a new contract?

Thank you

The simple answer to your question is "No".

You cannot split an existing milestone into smaller chunks.

You can increase the value of a milestone but you can't decrease. For good reason, because up is how you should go, not down.

andersonle
Community Member

Ok thanks. Would be nice to add a feature where the escrow amount can in fact be broken up. With agreement of both parties of course.