cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elevating our workplace with a new minimum rate

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
131 of 150

We've resolved the remaining issues affecting the implementation of this new minimum rate. These changes will be reflected on the site shortly and the minimum rate will be in effect for all new working relationships as outlined in the original post of this thread. Our apologies for the delay.

Florent L Member Since: Nov 19, 2014
132 of 150

Is that really for the outsourcers or is that for Odesk to make more money?

Either way, we will find an other platform to hire in the future.

zubair u Member Since: Nov 21, 2014
133 of 150

i am zubair from pakistan, I think its good thing.

I can see many people work 0.6$/hour(data entry jobs) which is very wrong. Mostly people thing data entry is easy job. I also thought the same but i got one data entry job and Then i realize how difficult it.

Regards

Zubair

Community Leader
Joseph G Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
134 of 150

Why are you complaining you people? If you are a client why dont you use a fixed rate method when hiring?

Jahanara c Member Since: Dec 8, 2014
135 of 150
hi, I have troubled about that I can't apply new jobs. so I wanted to apply to new job and I want to change my hourly ratefrom 1.00 to 3.00.. But I can,t change . How to change my rate?
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
136 of 150

Thank you for your question, Jahanara!

I understand you would like to raise your profile hourly rate to meet the current requirement. You should be able to see a banner with notification that asks you to Update your profile rate, so you can follow the Update Now link given in that notification and edit your rate. Alternatively, you should be able to edit your rate by going to User Settings>Profile.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Alexander D Member Since: Dec 14, 2014
137 of 150

Free market should set the price.

Increasing the minimum rate increases the cost of living in third world countries. Inevitably. The corporations end up with the money, not the odesk users.

Someone gave the example of McDonalds. Why do you think they charge $5 for a meal? Because they think people can afford it.

In the recession, McDonalds advertised dollar meals and grocery stores like Walmart didn't raise their prices.

In the end, payment should be skill based. I have paid freelancers anywhere between 1 and 50 dollar per hour depending on their skills. I think its great for unskilled people to give a chance to prove themselves. I have taken on apprenticeships that were paid less than $3 but loved working for me because of what they learned. I am not a mean employer. Look up my linkedin profile. I care about people.

Of course ODESK doesn't care. They make more money from higher comissions. And now that they allied with Elance, they are using their position as a near-monopoly to capitalize. Yes, they too will take as much money from us as they possibly can because they are a company. 

Community Guru
Aseem B Member Since: Dec 20, 2014
138 of 150

Hi Valeria

Although this is a move in right direction but it simply fails to meet the purpose. I am a Software Engineer with more that 6 years of work experience and I think everyone from my profession feels that you will have to increase the rate significantly to meet our work category. Even in real jobs there are different pay grades for jobs with different skills. Eg. a Data entry worker will never get the same pay as a software engineer in same company even though he is putting in same number of hours and hard work because we have invested long years and money to learn and develop our skills.

Another point I will like to make is that there should be different minimums for Entry Level, Intermediate Level and Expert level job categories as you can't expect a fresh graduate to be paid a same minimum as someone with 20+ years of work experience in same field.

Although odesk had taken a positive step by agreeing to this request that many freelancers had been making , It still seems that this is just a marketing gimmick instead of actually being a step to protect freelancer's career. Few years back I felt comfortable quitting my job and just rely on my earnings from odesk but with new clients flooding the job place with ridiculour pay rates, I see that more established clients have also lowered their payrates as unskilled people that are otherwise unable to get jobs are accepting contracts at any price that they can get. So now such positive policies are needed more than ever on odesk as I see that it is slowly deteriorating like other platforms like rentacoder and freelancer.com

Thanks

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
139 of 150

Thank you for sharing your opinion, Aseem. You are right, different skills are valued at different rates. And although oDesk keeps testing ways to improve rates within work categories, currently we are not able to introduce different rates for differents categories.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Aseem B Member Since: Dec 20, 2014
140 of 150

Hi Valeria

I hope that odesk will bring up "rates according to the categories" feature.

I also mentioned that there should be different minimum rates according to whether client requires an "Entry Level", "Intermediate" or "Expert" Freelancer. I think that this is a fairly acceptable thing. Clients should not expect to pay 3$/hour for both Entry level or an Expert freelancer.

Thanks