cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elevating our workplace with a new minimum rate

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
11 of 150
Hi Gillian and thank you for your feedback! That is correct, starting from November 15, 2014, clients will not be able to post hourly jobs and extend offers to freelancers they haven't hired before at less than $3/hour rate. However, if a client extends an offer to a freelancer they have hired before at a rate lower than $3/hour, they will be able to hire them at that lower rate again. There are more details in this article.
~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
12 of 150
Thanks.
Carlos S Member Since: Nov 14, 2014
13 of 150

I will not definitely  argue on any increasse on minimun rates, but why is it an IT graduate getting less than 3$/ hour  compared to a high a school graduate who has less skill getting the mimimum rates? You should have make it all 3$/hour even for those who had worked prior to your minimum rates.

Ace Contributor
Rabia A Member Since: Apr 13, 2011
14 of 150
[quote=Gillian Michele Nembhard]I think this will probably do the trick. "This will weed out the clients who do not want to pay freelancers a decent rate and who justify their ridiculously low rates by stating that the job is 'really simple'. For those clients who think paying someone $1 an hr is OK, think about this. You're not only paying the freelancer for their time and effort, the worker also has to cover the cost of their internet connection and electric. " I couldn't agree more
Shahriar K Member Since: Nov 11, 2014
15 of 150

i am so happy for this announcement . It will help us . i can proof my quality .Smiley Happy

VIJAY S Member Since: Nov 12, 2014
16 of 150

I completely agree to you Rabia! As a quality Freelancer, I myself have faced a lot of competition initially. Instead of being an experienced freelancer in the real world, I had to work on low rates just to make a place on Odesk. By setting minimum rates, Odesk has clearly sent a message to low quality freelancers and to the clients who think that they can take the existing competition for granted. Thank You Odesk! 

Ace Contributor
Nassoro C Member Since: Nov 11, 2014
17 of 150

[I think this will probably do the trick. This will weed out the clients who do not want to pay freelancers a decent rate and who justify their ridiculously low rates by stating that the job is 'really simple'. For those clients who think paying someone $1 an hr is OK, think about this. You're not only paying the freelancer for their time and effort, the worker also has to cover the cost of their internet connection and electric. This must be taken into account. Valeria, when clients post from November, will they receive a message on the screen telling them that the new minimum rate is $3ph and they should post accordingly?]You're very right... they say, "this's just copy and paste job, very simple...!" I keep on asking myself, if it's that simple why looking for someone else to do it!? But it's more than that... it's an hourly work, whether the job is simple or tough, there's no difference... one hour will remain with 60 minutes reagrdless it's simple or hard work! So, with these 60 minutes, I'll have to do nothing elsewhether am paid $0.5/hour or $5/hours! Other Client take the advantage that many Freelancers here are from poor countries... YES, am one of them... from Africa; not Egypt, South Africa or even Nigeria but from Tanzania... a very poor country but no one even within my country can be willing to work with some rates offered here... and am not talking about those guys with college degrees but even casual workers. When I joined here and find some rates, I said I will keep on looking and looking but I'll NEVER EVER beg for reputation at $0.5 or even $1... more often, these guys with these wonderful rates will end promissing:"and I'll give you 5 stars...!" This's bribe, YES, I repeat, it's bribe! Rate me according to my work quality including other creteria used but don't offer me 5* in exchange to lower rate!

Alisha U Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
18 of 150

Yes! I completely agree with you. Frankly, I'm really surprised that companies can hire at such a low minimum (even now that it's been raised to $3/hr). It's not a living wage. A freelancer should not be paying a company to work for them (when you count bills associated with running a freelance business). Thank you, oDesk, for setting at least a minimum.

Mario M Member Since: Dec 9, 2014
19 of 150

Hello.

Bravo. I´m couple months here,  but there are a lot of problems about paying. I've noticed that a lot of employers say: " It is not hard work, a few hours a day, paid the $ 5 a week. "

Terrible understatement of freelancer. No matter how easy or difficult the job was, we still have to devote the time to do it. And do it up right.

Community Guru
Reynaldo M Member Since: Aug 4, 2012
20 of 150
Great Economics! He rather pay .10 per record than pay $3 per hour where he can get double or more the result he need per hour.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS