cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elevating our workplace with a new minimum rate

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
21 of 150
Don't let the door hit you in the behind on your way out. Good for Odesk for finally doing something about those exploiting others. And the guy complaining about his VA and not paying her more. If you read what was posted, those already working for the lower rate can continue to work at that rate. But you are again another that exploits someone convincing yourself you are doing something great for someone paying them poor wages and having them work slave labor. Yay! Odesk for putting an end to the low ball jobs.
Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
22 of 150
[quote=Antonio T.]I'm very curious to know if this has anything to do with the Elance merger. :-/[/quote] I think it does. oDesk started the minimum rate experiment after the merge was announced. [quote=Yu L.]odesk is going to merge with elance , the min. wage is introduced from elance, so I don't think odesk will every change the new min. wage requirement. If you guys know any other website that can provide low rate contractor, please post it here.[/quote] https://www.odesk.com/community/node/32501
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
23 of 150
Hi Natasha, Thank you for supporting the discussion. While Elance also has a $3 hourly minimum, our Team developed this policy with the unique needs of our oDesk customers in mind. We will continue to evaluate our policies on a case by case basis, always with the oDesk community in mind.
~ Valeria
Untitled
Willian N Member Since: Oct 27, 2008
24 of 150
hi sorry but I think for web scraping jobs you offer; I think you are just looking for common emails like info@blah blah blah.com instead of looking for the person's personal email. maybe this is the reason you are saying people who works under administrative category doesn't have skills at all and not worth paying over $1 per hour. First, of all for my experience I don't just copy and paste contact information of companies; I use my brain and skills in looking for the correct email and the person who the company should send emails to promote their products. Maybe for other administrative workers (maybe they don't really care about the work being given to them. I suggest you think first before you post a comment like that. Not all contractors from my country are very low skilled people. I myself if I am an employer if I can see that the freelancer doesn't really deserve $3.00 for the assignment then simply end the project immediately and look for someone who really deserved that hourly rate. Not complaining that all freelancers from my country doesn't need that kind of hourly rate for her/his work even if you do know and can see that the freelancer you hired deserves the rate. * Removed by admin[/quote]
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
25 of 150
Some clients do not understand the value of what they are paying for. The clent who pays for info@blahblahblah.com - Yes, they get a large list of email addresses for a very low price, but when they actually contact those addresses, they get a next to nothing response rate, and for those times when someone actually answers the email, they get some administrative person with no decision-making authority who most likely won't pass your email on to someone who might actually buy your product or service - or maybe first send you (or someone you are paying) on a wild goose chase from company department to company department without you ever making any sales in the end. Pay more and you get someone who will actually research companies and find the names of people who would be interested in what you are selling. You will get less email addresses per dollar paid to your oDesk freelancer but your sales percentage will be much higher.
Farah S Member Since: Jun 2, 2010
26 of 150
It is clients like you who make this place seem hopeless for contractors. Even a copy/pasting job is not worth $1/hour. I think you forget to take into consideration the one hour of effort the person is putting in. And if it's that simple, why don't you do it yourself? Wait. Because you're too busy "changing the world?"
Ace Contributor
Dean a Member Since: Oct 25, 2009
27 of 150
Yes very true but one thing i have learnt from odesk over these years is never expect them to be logical when it comes to presenting an argument. 1. Their workers are not freelancers and if they are freelancers, they are practically full timers with enough hours 2. They dont really care about freelancers concerns In effect you work for odesk on a tracker - they are basically arbitraging time and have figured out they can make a larger cut by lifting the rate. Nice in theory but watch what happens when you put theory into practice. Mass exodus with all these new brain schemes which in theory sound fantastic but dont work in the real world.
Carlo D Member Since: Nov 2, 2014
28 of 150

If that's the case then try to learn the "TRY TO DO IT YOURSELF" mode..The result of the work you will get  is the same as your budget!.

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
29 of 150

Clients like you are what is bad for oDesk and the world in general. You think it is quite fair to pay a freelancer $0.10 per hour for quality work, with no mistakes 'or you wont be paid' and five star reviews, + 100 hrs experience. Really? Its about time this was implemented to prevent people like you from exploiting others who cannot stand up for themselves. Take your unfair practices elsewhere or try paying a permanent employee $0.10 per hour and let the authorities sort you out.

Well done oDesk. Better late than never.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Nelly R Member Since: Nov 11, 2014
30 of 150

Well it may not take 3 dollars to do a copy and paste job and all that you said before, but what about the LIGHT BILL? what about the internet Plus is not only copy an paste I bet on that, you will need to do some research and that takes time. DO YOU THINK IS GOING TO GET PAY WITH 1 DOLLAR? NONE OF THAT GETS PAY WITH THAT!!! 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS