cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elevating our workplace with a new minimum rate

Cathleen Claire S Member Since: Nov 14, 2014
61 of 150

Exactly! How come they became clients/ business owners/ execs..they do not even know how to read in detail! Gosh!

Community Guru
Reynaldo M Member Since: Aug 4, 2012
62 of 150
A company that probably sells .10 per record... $1.50/hr just about daily minimum wage for your regular Carpenter, Plumber, Janitor, family driver or your semi-skilled laborer with some college or vocational course at least. $2.00 to $2.50 True just above the minimum wage, basic effect of minimum wage taken advantage of most companies for 1001 reasons. legalized abuse and exploitation. Which makes highly skilled and experience workers of different fields in equal footing with those who are just starting, in the learning phase, just about upgrading their skills knowledge and experience. I was never a Fan of Set Minimum Rate/Wage, but, for the time being this may amount to something good on this platform. Say, minimizing if not eliminating Exploiter and those who just want to take advantage of other people's desperation.
Cathleen Claire S Member Since: Nov 14, 2014
63 of 150

Exactly correct! Exploitation and abuse is the term here...it made it the trend too, when we are not putting on that minimum standard.

Umar F Member Since: Jun 14, 2011
64 of 150

Wow you feel bad paying at least $3 just because its COMPETITIVE in Phil, do you live there? Do you know if that person getting $1.5 is hardly able to meet his both ends, try hiring a team of 40 in house, pay monthly rent for the place, pay for their daily free coffee, pay for their internet electricity, pay for their office supplies and then Pay their paychecks(that too not $3 or $5 but at least $8 if youre in US). You would then Wish you can hire people at $3/hour.

Alamgir H Member Since: Dec 11, 2011
65 of 150
This is a very good decision taken by ODesk. But it may decrease the hourly job posting on ODesk. Client may post jobs as fixed price basis. Should do something regarding the fixed price contracts. Thank you very much. Alamgir
Ace Contributor
Sherajum M Member Since: Apr 3, 2012
66 of 150
Positively, as a freelancer it's a good news. But I'm not sure how many clients are willing to hire someone at $3/hr who doesn't have any past work history. Please don't reward us something that we feel like punishment. Please do some math with freelancer's achievement (past work history, skill test) not with a single value. We know you have a great sense of math. Let the cheap clients make their best offer for new freelancers. Smiley Happy
Eddie S Member Since: Aug 26, 2014
67 of 150
Has Odesk bothered to check any currency exchange rate? For a lot of nations, like PI, $1 USD is a big deal, which is why they offer the rate. Granted, some aren't that proficient, so that just means they're not rehired, if a client has repeat work. But for those that are, that offers a price the freelancer and client are happy with. All-in-all, this is a VERY BAD DECISION! An email should have been sent out to users, to allow us to decide if we would approve. This low rate allows us start-ups to try to get ahead, competing in the global community. Now, you've just cut a lot of "shoe-string" entrepreneurs out of the game. I hope that people will boycott your services, until you allow the open market to decide. Someone mentioned a merger with Elance, and if so, that's also horrible news. I tried them, and they were the worst service I've used, in a long time. I'd do business with fiverr.com, before Elance.
Jason R Member Since: Mar 24, 2012
68 of 150
You can live just fine in some countries, even the 3rd largest English speaking country such as the Philippines this is pretty good money, especially if it will allow you to stay in your province, not have to move to the big city for a job and live in a boarding house. Everybody complaining about the pay being to low, doesn't understand this is the case in many of these countries because they have not lived their. Here are some examples of salaries in the Philippines. Remember these are collage grads, with near perfect english, who want these jobs, most move from long distances from their homes to live in boarding houses to the big cities away from their family's and make a lot of sacrifice to get this job. Call Center Phone Rep = p-15,000 ( $343 ) per month here are some other job salaries in the Philippines. $1 = 43 peso's Waiter 8,100 PHP Food Service Sales 10,000 PHP Food Server 13,000 PHP Travel Agent and Tour Guide 13,850 PHP Corporate Sous Chef 16,000 PHP Supervisor of Food Services 16,500 PHP Receptionist 18,000 PHP Bar Attendant 18,000 PHP Food Service Director 20,000 PHP Hotel Manager 25,000 PHP Law Enforcement / Security / Fire 18,333 PHP Armed Security Guard 12,500 PHP The Philippines has a 5 1/2 workweek but im not going to take that 1/2 day into account and it still shows Odesk is giving a pretty good deal to people who often have pretty low skills, might or might not have college, and are being hired completely blind at times with no odesk feedback. Further these people can sit at home in the province (cheaper to live) where they would likely make much less if they went outside and got a job in their home. THey also do not have to travel to the big city to make more than the hard working call center workers who sacrifice living in their home towns, going threw training and overall normally having a lot more skill than your typical VA or certainly all Data entry type jobs often fitting the sub $3 an hour range. Odesk worker (Va/dataentry and a lot of other low level skills such as non-native seo content writing ect) Odesk lowest job = $3hr x 40hrs x 4 weeks = $480 or ( 20,640 pesos ) This is a pretty damn good deal, and I emphasize that EVERYBODY and their brother wants to work from home. What a great deal, so if you do work from home and because the competition is higher online you should be paid less than equally skilled person working at an office because its a luxury to do so. So odesk says that somebody who really may or may not have good english, or skills at all is worth $3 an hour minimum, but a hotel manager in the Philippines who might manage a million dollar operation is not worth much more? Hotel Manager 25,000 PHP ($572) This new rule is only inflating lower skilled workers salaries to make them above average in their own countries for what normally is a low skill job. A data enter person is probably going to make around $150 or so a month but odesk is saying these people are worth as much as a hotel manager, or more than a police officer for a such simple tasks. Somebody will surely offer a service to fill this niche because not only are they going to get overpaid people on odesk, but they are going to put a whole lot of the lower end people out of jobs because most employers who are educated in the economics of these countries are not going to pay a $1 an hour worker $3 an hour just because odesk randomly decides that is a "Good balance". Btw, The good news for the workers complaining in this thread (or not so good news if your a worker with low skills) is that i dont think odesk will change their decision on this matter. I think Elance has this same $3 minimum and it only makes sense for odesk to align with them for continuity.
Community Guru
Reynaldo M Member Since: Aug 4, 2012
69 of 150
You sure did your homework. Just to make some corrections on the salaries, Call Center Agents at php 15,000+3,000 living allowance w/c is pretty much the standard now. and its an entry level rate w/c normally get adjusted after 6 months. Those in the food and hotel industry gets an additional to a low of 15% to 100% service fee monthly depending on sales.(except fastfood chains which tenure is pretty much good for 5 months and 15 days at most) Government Employees, well its highly regulated by law. Government Mandate is to provide jobs. Armed Security Guard - that's a 12 hour work shift w/o overtime. Just enough to survive is different from living with some comforts. I too has never been a Fan of Minimum rate. It only Legalized Exploitation and Abuse. It place low skilled, relatively skilled and highly skilled worker on the same footing. Imagine a data encoder, Encoder 1 can do 30 entries per hour, encoder 2, 20 entries per hour and encoder 40 entries per hour and all 3 are paid $1/hr. I have always believe that rate should be based on skills, productivity, scope of work REGARDLESS WHERE A FREELANCER/WORKER ARE FROM. What does not sit well for me is when people keep harping that a Freelancer from Asia should only be paid $1/hours while a Freelancer from U.S or "Progressive Country" should be Paid $5 or more even if they both have the same skill level. And say its not exploitation nor taking advantage of people's desperation. And follows up with saying "You should be thankful because I am providing you work".
Jason R Member Since: Mar 24, 2012
70 of 150
I think we agree on this matter, especially nice to hear it from someone that lives in the Philippines. Btw, I use Philippines as my example many times. Im not trying to single them out or discredit the skills, its only because i have a lot of experience living there, what I say really applies to any country with similar economic conditions. [quote] Call Center Agents at php 15,000+3,000 living allowance w/c is pretty much the standard now. and its an entry level rate w/c normally get adjusted after 6 months. [/quote] Yeah they get 3k for living allowance, AC may or not be available depends on where the call center is, and whats available in the area for dorms, it might be 5k/7k rent if they want to live very near the office. I guess that doesn't really matter, what does is that these people have to live away from their family, witch they could be living with for free if they were freelancing and also probably be happier. So with Call Center worker I would consider them a step above most VA's in skill/education and work ethic and they dont get to live at home in the province but have to uproot themselves. [quote]Armed Security Guard - that's a 12 hour work shift w/o overtime.[/quote] Yeah, this is a thankless and un-fun job. There is no way a VA should earn 1.7 times this occupation. This job not only doesn't pay well but many still want to do this. They have to take training (6 weeks i think). My maids boyfriend came from the province and had to come up with ( 10k pesos )or something to pay for tuition just to take the classes to get the security license to be able to even get this job, so that he can stand in the hot sun all day every day 12 hours then take a jeep home probably exhausted. Thats a lot of work for such a low paying job and even standing around all day is tiring, and If i remember correctly (tell me if im wrong) I thought they only get 1 Sunday off a month. My Dad had a house in ph and he had day/night guards and I use to chat with one of them, he traveled 2 hours to/from to work a 12 hour job (16 hours total) 6/7 days a week, with 5 kids and a wife to take care of. This is the life, and while its not good many do it everyday, i think a guard should be paid more than a VA, and this goes to my logic that people posting in here do not understand the economics of some of the country's so they shouldn't make claims like "Nobody should work for $1.50" an hour, because a security guard in the Philippines would jump out of his shoes at the changes to be able to stay home and work fewer hours to be a VA on odesk after Nov 15. [quote] I too has never been a Fan of Minimum rate. It only Legalized Exploitation and Abuse. It place low skilled, relatively skilled and highly skilled worker on the same footing. Imagine a data encoder, Encoder 1 can do 30 entries per hour, encoder 2, 20 entries per hour and encoder 40 entries per hour and all 3 are paid $1/hr. [/quote] This is one of my gripes about this change. Who wants to go to engineering school and work their butts off and then have the guy serving him a burger at McDonalds driving the same car, wearing the same watch, or being his next door nabor. That is an insult to hard work to go to school in the first place and you might as well not bother. (Btw i worked at McDonald's and its not an easy job, but its not on the same footing as an engineer) [quote] I have always believe that rate should be based on skills, productivity, scope of work REGARDLESS WHERE A FREELANCER/WORKER ARE FROM. What does not sit well for me is when people keep harping that a Freelancer from Asia should only be paid $1/hours while a Freelancer from U.S or "Progressive Country" should be Paid $5 or more even if they both have the same skill level. And say its not exploitation nor taking advantage of people's desperation. And follows up with saying "You should be thankful because I am providing you work". [/quote] I'm not sure if we exactly agree on this one. This is a freelancer site, not a job so I want to point out that distinction because I try and look at it as free market, and whomever has the best value for my money gets the work. For example there are many jobs that fall into the $1 range that I just would never do at all (the job wouldn't exist) if not for being able to get it done very cheap. Or lets say I have a job and the American wants $5 and the Filipino wants $4.50. I might say ok, I'm not paying either of these rates, i would rather not have this done at all, or i might make an offer to the Filipino (because i know what rates are in the country) and say will you take $2 an hour? I dont personally care about exploitation, I mean maybe I'm ignorant to the concept, I think people will work for what they want and if they dont want to they wont and its that simple. Anyway In the above situation its pretty simple does the person want the job at 2$ or not, his choice. I dont see anything wrong with this, and I dont really think its evil to take into account the countries economic situation to do because I just dont care as with anything nobody is looking out for my interests so I better do it, and in doing that it makes sense to pay whoever offers me the best deal. Another thought is if both countries workers offer the same rate, then I might as well support people from my own country, and this would help the people and economy (some of whom are my relatives) better right, and a byproduct of that if I was patriotic to my countrymen would be if somebody from another country wants the job he has to lower the rate, even if he can do the exact same job in all ways? If you got the exact same skill set then I agree with you mostly. However this is not as simple as it sounds to measure. If your from the US for example, and you want to hire a programmer, there might be some communication loss by dealing with somebody from the Philippines. While the Philippines is a mostly English speaking (especially anybody with a skill like programming) there is some differences, there is a cultural difference, there are many issues (such as the insane number of random public holidays that the Philippines has ) these lead to a little bit of issues when measuring overall productivity, so if i had to just give a hypothetical number i would say if i'm American, and I had to choose a Philippine programmer vs an American with equal programming skills i would pay the Filipino $6 vs paying the American $10 (remember this is hypothetical number) to allow for issues mentioned above and maybe a few others. Cultural differences are the most major issue i have encountered with workers, English is an issue, but not as much as culture. Another example might be a writer. I would probably pay a Philippine writer much less than an American. The way people are taught in school is different, i dont know much about this but some words are used some countries and not in others, and things are just different, so to a US native, a Philippine writer who has perfect English and the article might be technically correctly written still leaves traces that they are non-native and this is often very important when having work done for a US based client, so this would lead me to pay much more to an American. Last example: I get live tutoring on a special application. This is a rare application and not many people teach on it. So, I have no problem paying the Philippine worker $20 an hour (even though i dont like it because i know the Philippine wages) because he does a good job and its worth it to me. If there wear others I would pay less, so unless there was an American charging similar rates I have no problem paying this rate, and its been worth every penny. I think overall we are mostly in agreement.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS