Ace Contributor
Phil O Member Since: Oct 19, 2015
11 of 53

So much for my proofreading skills, didn't spot that Smiley Sad

Thanks for the heads up 

Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
12 of 53

I took the Duolingo test on January 2015, and the 'Verified' badge never showed on my profile.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
13 of 53

re: "I took the Duolingo test on January 2015, and the 'Verified' badge never showed on my profile."

If you passed the Duoloingo test, you qualify to receive the "Verified" badge and also a big certificate on your profile.

If you have not had those show up, you may need to contact customer service. You should have a Duolingo certificate that you can provide Upwork, which your Upwork profile can be linked to.

For example, my public Upwork profile

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~012ab645e1d96a5c7f

Links to my Duolingo certificate

https://certs.duolingo.com/s9mm4249

Community Guru
14 of 53

@Preston H wrote:

re: "I took the Duolingo test on January 2015, and the 'Verified' badge never showed on my profile."

If you passed the Duoloingo test, you qualify to receive the "Verified" badge and also a big certificate on your profile.

If you have not had those show up, you may need to contact customer service. You should have a Duolingo certificate that you can provide Upwork, which your Upwork profile can be linked to.

For example, my public Upwork profile

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~012ab645e1d96a5c7f

Links to my Duolingo certificate

https://certs.duolingo.com/s9mm4249

Thank you, Preston. Yes, I have the certificate, but not the 'verified' badge. I contacted CS on January 18, asking about this issue, but it has never been solved.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
15 of 53

Hi Olga,

I will follow up with the team about your English Proficiency verification badge and they will investigate.

Thank you for reporting.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
16 of 53

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Olga,

I will follow up with the team about your English Proficiency verification badge and they will investigate.

Thank you for reporting.

Thank you, Valeria, I hope this finally gets solved. 

Barbara L Member Since: May 7, 2015
17 of 53

I absolutely LOVE the idea of paying $20 to prove that I speak the language I've been speaking proficiently all my life. Luckily I have a twenty burning a hole in my pocket and couldn't think of a single thing to do with it. (No bills, no groceries.) Thank goodness it will not go to waste. Oh, wait ... maybe it will ...

Barbara L Member Since: May 7, 2015
18 of 53

P.S. I've been an active member since 2011.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
19 of 53

Barbara,

Getting a certification badge is entirely optional.

As you are a native of the United States and you have a long track record of doing jobs related to editing, proofreading and re-writing English language documents... I don't know that anybody who looks at your profile will doubt your English language proficiency.

Would getting your English language certified be of any benefit to you? I have no idea. I do know that there is no requirement or pressure for you to do so.

The certification strikes me as something which would be of more interest to people whose native languge is not English, but want to demonstrate the high degree of proficiency in English that they have achieved, as a way to let clients know that there won't be any language barrier problems. And maybe it would be of interest to contractors who are just starting out, and don't have your long track record of successfully-completed English language-related jobs.

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
20 of 53

@Barbara L wrote:

I absolutely LOVE the idea of paying $20 to prove that I speak the language I've been speaking proficiently all my life. Luckily I have a twenty burning a hole in my pocket and couldn't think of a single thing to do with it. (No bills, no groceries.) Thank goodness it will not go to waste. Oh, wait ... maybe it will ...

If you were born in and live in the USA or other English designated countries you don't need to take any test.

Lena said:

If you are a Native English speaker then you can select Native, it doesn't matter what country you are currently residing in. 

So why would you take a test?