cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

English Verified and change to language proficiency labels

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
21 of 53

Hi Olga,

I have just been informed by our engineers that the issue was resolved. The "verified" icon now displays next to English language on your profile.

Thank you for your patience with this issue.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
22 of 53

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Olga,

I have just been informed by our engineers that the issue was resolved. The "verified" icon now displays next to English language on your profile.

Thank you for your patience with this issue.

Thank you very much, Valeria! 

Shehata A Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
23 of 53

Hello Valeria,

I have many ended contracts; about 200 with 5 start feedback, but never received the badge. I have been on Upwork for 4 years now. I contacted one of my clients to know how it look like when they end contracts, there is nothing like Language Fluency. All that showed up was the attached screenshot. What drives me mad is that some freelancers just signed up on Upwork and it appears that their English is fluent and verified without submitting any certificates. This means only one thing. They are verified by clients. However, in the screenshot attached, no such thing is there. Can anyone help please?

Shot.png

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
24 of 53

Hi Shehata,

This might be due to the fact that this is a repeat client and they have rated you before. Please pm me the contract ID so I can check and follow up with more information. 

Shehata A Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
25 of 53

Hello Vladimir,

That's what I thought at the beginning, however, this was confirmed by multiple clients.

Community Guru
Alexandra H Member Since: Jul 30, 2015
26 of 53

Garnor, you make me yearn for the 'good old days' when completing a university degree still counted for something!

Is Upwork really saying that I'll never get a verified badge, just because my language skills were assessed by an Austrian university? I suppose I should be grateful for not being reminded with every bid to 'take a basic English Level 1 test' (as is customary on another site) and I know that my clients will know how to interpret my profile without that badge, but an English Master's degree is worth at least as much as Cambridge et al., don't you think? [end of complaint]

Community Guru
Gabor K Member Since: Apr 1, 2015
27 of 53

I have completed 74 contracts over 2 years until now and have not seen this badge one time on my profile (fluency is set to "Fluent"). Almost all of the contracts involved using English. According to Option 2, should I see it soon? Thank you!

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
28 of 53

Hi Gabor,

Clients would need to rate your english proficiency (both speaking and comprehension). If your have received several (3 or more) of these ratings, the badge can appear on your profile. As mentioned in Option 2, this is a more complicated process because the badge will be dependent on a combination of
a) the self-selected proficiency level you set in your profile settings; and
b) several of these ratings.
So technically, client's feedback can affect your English Verified badge both positively and negatively which is why we recommend pursuing the first option if having this badge is important to you.

Avery

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
29 of 53

Gabor, according to option 2, no, you should not expect to see it to see it any time soon. You might. You might not. Could be tomorrow. Could be never.

Avery already provided great advice about this.

If it is important to you, forget about option 2.

Just go to Duolingo today. (Option 1)

With option 1, you have control.

Option 2: no control.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
30 of 53

"Avery already provided great advice about this."

With respect to you and Avery, Preston, if it is good advice it really doesn't say much about Upwork's systems. Avery's advice, paraphrased, seems to say "There's an external test if you're serious; but if it doesn't matter and you're not serious about it you can do it our own in-house way, which may or may not be better than nothing".

Truly inspiring...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS