cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

English Verified and change to language proficiency labels

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
31 of 53

Hi Stephen,

The reason we recommend Duolingo certificate as a more long-term solution is that once added it's not a subject to change and the verified badge will stay regardless of clients' feedback. The second option implies that verification status depends on client feedback.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
32 of 53

"The second option implies that verification status depends on client feedback."

With respect, as usual, Valeria, what you're saying is that the second option is entirely reliant on clients' assessment and might change with different clients's assessments  - and therefore by extension is unreliable and random. None of the clients who give these assessments are verified in any way to give an assessment on language capability, so that's why it has the potential to change as different varied clients give their individual assessment of how proficient someone is at a language that (in many cases) is not the client's own. I agree 100%, the Duolingo is obviously more robust, as it is an objective test of language assessed by native speakers on a level playing field. No-brainer !

So, to recap:

a) Duolingo is an objective test of a language, and once a certificate is given, it doesn't change (fair enough since probably not even advanced dementia would ever depreciate skill in a language).

b) Upwork clients with random skills and experience in the language rate a freelancer in their skill in that language - even if the client has no skill in the language themselves - and that varies as different randomly language-savvy clients give their different randomly language-savvy assessments.

Now, Upwork agrees with me that (a) is better than (b)  - happy day.

But the question that remains is, what is the point of (b) at all??? Even the official Upwork line, as posted on this thread by Upwork employees, is that (b) is not worth it if you want to take it seriously.

So what IS the point of it at all?? Why is it there at all???

I really would like an inspired rather than canned answer to this.

Community Guru
Andrea B Member Since: Feb 20, 2015
33 of 53

So technically, client's feedback can affect your English Verified badge both positively and negatively which is why we recommend pursuing the first option if having this badge is important to you.

Hello all, 

I'm an Italian translator, and I already had my English level self-assessed as "fluent" with the badge "verified", after almost 100 jobs successfully completed here on UpWork. Anyway I have taken a paid Duolingo Test in order to have my English proficiency verified.

On 12/29 I got my results (99%) and I have immediately linked this test to my profile. After getting the results I have asked the Help Center what to do, since the "verified" badge was missing. Following their advice I manually changed my level to "native or bilingual". After almost two weeks the "verified" badge hasn't appeared yet... Why I am not seeing it? Is 99% not enough?

I was just wondering if someone could share his/her experience and/or explain how this process really works, as I'm still waiting for an answer from the Help Center.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
34 of 53

Hi Andrea,

I'm following up with the team regarding the "verified" badge not being displayed on your profile. Someone from our team will reply on your open ticket soon.

Thank you for your patience.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
35 of 53

Andrea,

Forgive me if I'm taking you up wrong, but are you saying that now that you are certified you want t change your proficiency level to native or bilingual? Because "native or bilingual" means exactly that - that English is either your mother tongue, or you have it to such a level that it is as good as your mother tongue. A Duolingo test doesn't change your English status to bilingual - you either are or are not bilingual.

Community Guru
36 of 53

Hi Stephen,

thanks for your reply. I perfectly understand what you mean and I totally agree with you. I am not native nor bilingual, but I took the Duolingo Test (https://certs.duolingo.com/59d997z8) and I scored 99%. Besides the fluency score, there is also an interpretation of language ability, and it goes like this:

Expert in English

Can understand virtually anything heard or read, even intellectually demanding material such as an academic lecture or a book on philosophy. Can use the language fluently and spontaneously in a way that can even be more advanced than an average native speaker.

I perfectly understand that "Expert" has a rather different meaning than "Native" or "Bilingual". Maybe the problem is that while Duolingo has 6 different levels of proficiency (see here: https://testcenter.duolingo.com/scores), UpWork has 4 levels only. Actually I didn't really have the urge to change my level on UpWork, but as you know taking this kind of test is one of the methods officially suggested by UpWork to certify your English level - before that test my English level was "Fluent", but most important was self-assessed. I spent time and money (well, ok, it's just 20 minutes and 20 bucks...) hoping to get something more than a mere self-assessment, but before manually changing my status to "Native or Bilingual" (I admit that I can't really boast such a propriety of language, but unfortunately there is no correspondance between the two scales) I wanted to ask the Customer Help. They suggested me to change my level, and after that the badge "verified" would have appeared. But as you understand I'm still waiting for that badge, hence my disappointment.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
37 of 53

Hi Andrea,

Could you please try switching your level of English to Fluent and see if the verification shows?

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
38 of 53

Hi Valeria,

yes, it worked... Thanks for your help!

I was afraid to manually change again my English level because the Help Center suggested me not to do so. Great, at least the "verified" badge will not be affected in any way and will stay there until the end of the world Smiley Very Happy

All the best,

Community Leader
Alexandr M Member Since: Jan 11, 2016
39 of 53

Hello.

How many marks should I've got at Duolinguo test to verify Conversational level of English. ?

Probably there are some other tests to verify Conversational level? It's simply Conversational, not Fluent...

But.. what marks should I've got in duolingo to verify Converational??

Community Guru
40 of 53

How many marks should I've got at Duolinguo test to verify Conversational level of English. ?

Check here: https://testcenter.duolingo.com/scores