cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

English Verified and change to language proficiency labels

Community Leader
Alexandr M Member Since: Jan 11, 2016
41 of 53

Short test said me that I'm advanced (I don't belive it actually)

But Intermidiate at Duolingo - does in enough to get verification for Conversational level at Upwork?

by the way:

Elementary at Duolingo - does in enough to get verification for Basic level at Upwork?

Advanced at Duolingo - does in enough to get verification for Fluent level at Upwork?

Does intermidiate at Duolungo is equalint of IELTS 5.0 ? 

Community Guru
Andrea B Member Since: Feb 20, 2015
42 of 53

But Intermidiate at Duolingo - does in enough to get verification for Conversational level at Upwork?

Elementary at Duolingo - does in enough to get verification for Basic level at Upwork?

Advanced at Duolingo - does in enough to get verification for Fluent level at Upwork?

I don't know. Actually the Duolingo Test Center FAQ show that they have 6 different levels ("Beginner", "Elementary", "Intermediate", "Advanced", "Proficient", "Expert") while on Upwork you will just find 4 levels ("Basic", "Conversational", "Fluent", "Native or Bilingual").

Maybe some moderator could enlighten us on this matter, so that we can understand how to convert the results we can get from Duolingo...

____EDIT: actually I have tried to find this kind of answer somewhere else, but I may be too lazy...

Raju C Member Since: Jan 14, 2016
43 of 53
Test is like a front line and course is the pre-condition of the front line.if you are a native speaker,it will be easy for you than others whose are not the native speaker.by taking part in the exam one can idenify his/her skill level.......One thing must remember that grammer is the ornamentation of a language.the man who is proficient in english his/her grammer is outstanding which makes him different from others.....
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
44 of 53

Whatever Duolingo's test results are, and I agree they are probably a good yardstick for some levels in any language. However, I would doubt that anybody with the sort of lingusitic excellence conferred upon him/her by Duolingo, would have sufficient expertise in a language to call him/herself a native speaker or writer.

When it comes to translation, there are only a handful of people who are truly bilingual (sometimes trilingual) who are capable of translating (grammatically and idiomatically)into a language that is not their mother tongue. Which is why Upwork's labelling is so inaccurate - though it is certainly a lot better than "masterful"!

Jen S Member Since: May 2, 2016
45 of 53

Hello,

Thank you for this explanation. I recently completed a Duolingo test that will provide verification on Upwork and I would like to transfer it. Could you possibly tell me the best way to do that? you say:

• Option one: Submit any of the Certifications noted above. Submitting a certification is the best way to ensure you get the English Verified badge on your profile. If you take this approach (submitting a certification), the “English Verified” badge will not be removed unless you remove the certification from your profile.

Should I email it to Upwork? What's the best way to submit? Thank you!!

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
46 of 53

After taking the test, you can add it to your profile by clicking Share Certificate > Upwork. Please see this screenshot for more information: http://cl.ly/image/1i1x0X1W0E3e (old screenshot with oDesk name).

Untitled
Community Leader
Patricia B Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
47 of 53

@Lena E wrote:

After taking the test, you can add it to your profile by clicking Share Certificate > Upwork. Please see this screenshot for more information: http://cl.ly/image/1i1x0X1W0E3e (old screenshot with oDesk name).

What about a Certificate in Advance English Cambridge exam taken years ago? How can I add it to my profile to get the verified blue symbol?

Thanks! 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
48 of 53

Hi Patricia,

Have you tried to search it in the list of certificates. It should be there:

Screenshot_8.png

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Leader
Patricia B Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
49 of 53

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Patricia,

Have you tried to search it in the list of certificates. It should be there:

Screenshot_8.png

Thanks Valeria! I couldn't find it, it worked now Smiley Happy 

Carlos P Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
50 of 53

Hi guys,

I think TOEFL is prefered over IELTS in the USA. So, considering that Upwork is based in the States.
Why TOEFL is not accepted by Upwork?

Now that Upwork's skill tests are no longer valid. Is any way in which I can submit my TOEFL iBT scores  for your consideration (test date: January 26, 2019 ), in order to get that verified blue badge for English?

That would be awesome!
Smiley Wink