🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Expanding Direct to Local Bank availability
Page options

Expanding Direct to Local Bank availability

lenaellis
Community Member

Starting in April, we will be expanding Direct to Local Bank withdrawals to several additional countries. Freelancers located in these countries will now be able to utilize DLB as a withdrawal option to transfer funds in their local currency directly to their bank. For many, this could be the least expensive way to get paid because the cost per payment is only $0.99. Since the transfer is done using each country’s local network, incoming bank fees are usually reduced or eliminated.

New countries added:

• Albania
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Egypt
  • Faroe Islands
  • Gibraltar
  • Greenland
  • Isle of Man
  • Israel
  • Jersey
  • Korea, South
  • South Africa
  • Tunisia
  • Turkey

Previously, because DLB wasn’t available in these countries, they were given a reduced rate on Payoneer and PayPal withdrawals. Since we are now able to offer this new, low-cost option, we are also updating the fees for e-wallet style payments in these countries. As of April 6th, 2020, PayPal and Payoneer withdrawal fees will increase from $1.00 USD to $2.00 USD per withdrawal, which is the same fee other freelancers pay who have the same payment options.

If you want to see what payment options are available to you today, click “Add a Payment Method” in the “Get Paid” section of your Upwork account (under “Settings”). For more information on Direct to Local Bank withdrawals see this help article.

31 Comments
artur-gutman
Community Member

Problem with "Direct to local bank" in Russia.

I used "Direct to local bank" in Russia last year many times.

The last payment in december 2019 I received with new purpose of payment string in bank payment order "{VO20200}Upwork НДС УПЛАЧИВАЕТСЯ ОТДЕЛЬНО" (in English translation it means "{VO20200}Upwork VAT paid separately").

All previous payments had purpose of payment string: "{VO99090}Salary, Без НДС." (in English translation "{VO99090}Salary, Without VAT.").

It happened at the same time as UpWork changed Bank sender from

QIWI Bank//UPWORK GLOBAL INC TRANSFAST//SANTA
CLARA, 2625 AUGUSTINE DRIVE, SUITE 601

to

CITIBANK EUROPE PLC, 1 NORTH WALL QUAY, DUBLIN, Ireland 

Taking string "{VO20200}Upwork VAT paid separately" in purpose of payment may rise a problem with Russian tax service for me, since I should not pay any VAT.

I tried to take an answer from UpWork support but support didn't get what I am asking for.

Could anyone redirect my question or give a contact of person who able to solve 'Direct to local bank" Russia connected problems?

AveryO
Community Manager

Hi Artur, 

I'm sorry for the delay as I was looking into this further. I can see that you already have a ticket regarding your concern. It would be best to follow up on the same ticket thread so that the team handling your case can assist you further. On my end, I will follow up with the team so that they can look into this. 

In the meantime, please also check with your local bank why VAT was charged to your local bank transfer. 

artur-gutman
Community Member

Thanks, Avery.

I hope with your attention, support team will go further in my question.

> In the meantime, please also check with your local bank why VAT was charged to your local bank transfer. 

My bank didn't charge VAT from me. I am asking why bank sender (where UpWork has an account and transfer money from) added payment purpose string "VAT paid separately". It is not connected with my bank, since my bank is only receiver of payment and can't change payment details including payment purpose string. My bank support forced me to ask UpWork about it. And I am doing that.

Best,
Artur.

lptc
Community Member

Hi,

This is not really the place to discuss my issue, but i'm receiving only automatic answers and I'm chatting only with a bot... I hope to get some "human" feedback here!

I work as freelancer (not an agency!), but I am using my own company to invoice. Everything has been cleared and verified with Upwork a long time ago, and there was absolutely no issue.

I decided to change of bank, and updated the bank account on my profile.

There was an automatic mismatch between names (company vs personal name), but it was said that this would be checked manually.

After "manual" check I got a mail stating again that there was a mismatch (while my account already has the company data checked) and I was asked to upload documents. I have no problems in doing so, but the document required is my ID, so I doubt that this will help in validating a company bank account...

In the end, my question is: how can I reach a human support?

He could check in 2mins that the company details in my profile match the bank account details, while bots keep on telling me that my personal details do not match the bank account details...

Thanks!

AveryO
Community Manager

Hi Luis, 

I'll go ahead and look into this and come back here once I have more information. 

AveryO
Community Manager

Hi Luis, 

I can confirm that your payment method has already been approved as requested. Let me know if you need further assistance with anything!

sicrum
Community Member

Hello Artur.

Noticed same label just now : "Upwork НДС УПЛАЧИВАЕТСЯ ОТДЕЛЬНО".

Have you figured out if its ok or not?

sicrum
Community Member

Upwork, do you have a reply for our question?

sicrum
Community Member

I have same problem as Artur.

Forum thread created by Artur has no answers.

Is upwork going to keep a message that VAT is paid separately?

It may cause problems with local tax service

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Renat,

We cannot control what the local banks use on the statement when sending deposits through Direct to Local Bank transfer. Each bank and country can have its own policy that is outside of our control. Therefore, we can't make amends to the remittance information you're referring to.