🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Expanding Job Search Filters
Page options

Expanding Job Search Filters

lenaellis
Community Member

We are introducing a new look to the job search page on desktops to visibly display available job filters on the left side of the job search page, instead of hidden behind a button at the top. We have found that although tucking our filters behind this icon looks clean, many were unaware of the available job filters behind it. With this change, we want to ensure freelancers are able to have easy access to all filters that are important to them when finding and searching for jobs. 

We are also testing out some new filters with more categories. We appreciate any feedback you have on job search filters as we continuously seek to improve your experience and help freelancers find the right jobs for them. 

Existing experience:

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 9.03.38 AM.png

New experiences you may see:

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 9.04.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 9.04.01 AM.png

Tip: Once you have filtered your job search to your liking, click “save search” so that your filters will be saved for your next job search.

36 Comments
m_terrazas
Community Member

Hi Lena,

I keep seeing the old version Smiley Sad

NikolaS

Hi Maria,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please note that we're rolling this out gradually so some users may not see the new experience right away.

m_terrazas
Community Member

Nikola S wrote:

Hi Maria,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please note that we're rolling this out gradually so some users may not see the new experience right away.

Hi Nikola,

Thanks for the information, but in the announcement Upwork is asking for opinions, if you want opinions, why not activate it for everyone?

So you will have real opinions.

I think that when Upwork decides to test some new feature, it shouldn't announce it in "Announcements".
This creates confusion and just leads a lot of people like me wondering why they can't see it.
To do the tests, in my opinion, they should privately contact the profiles that will have this feature active and seek their opinions.
Don't you think?

NikolaS

Hi Maria,

Thank you for following up. We frequently try out new features -- both big and small -- by conducting testing with a small group of users. This is the standard practice for most companies, and tests can sometimes last weeks or just a few days. In order to not impact or skew test results, we typically try not to share details about tests while they are ongoing. While we can’t address your questions about this test, we do want and appreciate your feedback. We will be glad to pass your comments on.

katbenjamin
Community Member

Maria, 

Thank you for the suggestion. I agree we would get more feedback if we rolled it out to everyone right away! There is an important reason why we don't - we want to measure the usage of the two pages side by side to ensure we are increasing your success. We typically roll out these changes to 50% of people; wait several weeks to learn how many people engage with jobs, successfully apply to jobs and are hired; then roll out the new design to everyone if it's successful. We post on the community so that those who see the new version are not surprised, and so we can get feedback to start improving the design already. We would love to be able to incorporate some of the requested improvements we hear from you all by the time we roll out the new design to everyone. 

I hope that explanation helps.

Katrina

VP of Product

m_terrazas
Community Member

Katrina B wrote:

Maria, 

Thank you for the suggestion. I agree we would get more feedback if we rolled it out to everyone right away! There is an important reason why we don't - we want to measure the usage of the two pages side by side to ensure we are increasing your success. We typically roll out these changes to 50% of people; wait several weeks to learn how many people engage with jobs, successfully apply to jobs and are hired; then roll out the new design to everyone if it's successful. We post on the community so that those who see the new version are not surprised, and so we can get feedback to start improving the design already. We would love to be able to incorporate some of the requested improvements we hear from you all by the time we roll out the new design to everyone. 

I hope that explanation helps.

Katrina

VP of Product

Thanks for the reply Katrina.
The point is that you announce it to the public and, as we have already seen, that only brings confusion. And you can see it in the thread of the new profile design.
What I'm saying is that, since you choose 50% to test it and you don't want them to be surprised, you just have to get in touch with that 50% without making the test public.
Easy, right?

katbenjamin
Community Member

You make a good point, Maria, that it would be helpful to contact just the 50% and get feedback from them. I also acknowledge that this has led to confusion in the past. I'm curious to hear from you and others - do you appreciate knowing about a change being launched, even if you don't have access right away? I imagine someone could post a screenshot of their job search experience in the community and if a second someone didn't know about the test, that second someone might be confused as well. Would you rather know or not know?

m_terrazas
Community Member

That problem has already occurred.
Some test that has been launched and had not been communicated by any means. Then someone shows up on the forums asking what happens.
Personally, I prefer to know. But as I say, this creates very long threads on the subject in question.
Perhaps when announcing it, it should be clear, very clear, in the first line and in red, that it is a test, that it is not active for everyone and that the data will be given once the test is finished. The latter is also must be very clear, because tests have been carried out that have not been sufficiently informed of their conclusion and have generated, again, huge threads.
My opinion, I hope someone else shows up and comments.

abinadab-agbo
Community Member
Red? We don't need more red please. 😊

Re: Personally, I prefer to know.

I think that's the whole point. Upwork doesn't want you to know so much personally that they are observing your behaviour for a test.

Remember, the act of measuring can often change the measurement itself.
researchediting
Community Member

Katrina B wrote:

....Do you appreciate knowing about a change being launched, even if you don't have access right away?

Yes, until you institute proper beta testing.

I imagine someone could post a screenshot of their job search experience in the community and if a second someone didn't know about the test, that second someone might be confused as well.

That does happen.

Would you rather know or not know?

I would rather Upwork offered beta testing on an opt-in basis. Drafting half the users of your product—which is an essential component of our business models and livelihoods—into any given test, with or without public disclosure, is disruptive. And an informed defined cadre of beta testers, or even the early adopters represented by a public beta, will give you much more valuable and actionable information than throwing numbers at the wall to see what sticks.