🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Expanding Job Search Filters
Page options

Expanding Job Search Filters

lenaellis
Community Member

We are introducing a new look to the job search page on desktops to visibly display available job filters on the left side of the job search page, instead of hidden behind a button at the top. We have found that although tucking our filters behind this icon looks clean, many were unaware of the available job filters behind it. With this change, we want to ensure freelancers are able to have easy access to all filters that are important to them when finding and searching for jobs. 

We are also testing out some new filters with more categories. We appreciate any feedback you have on job search filters as we continuously seek to improve your experience and help freelancers find the right jobs for them. 

Existing experience:

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 9.03.38 AM.png

New experiences you may see:

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 9.04.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 9.04.01 AM.png

Tip: Once you have filtered your job search to your liking, click “save search” so that your filters will be saved for your next job search.

36 Comments
m_terrazas
Community Member

Abinadab A wrote:
Red? We don't need more red please. 😊

Re: Personally, I prefer to know.

I think that's the whole point. Upwork doesn't want you to know so much personally that they are observing your behaviour for a test.

Remember, the act of measuring can often change the measurement itself.

Well, once published, if you have it and others don't, you already know that they are "watching" you, don't you think?

aneeta_rajput
Community Member

The job search page is showing the filter option on the left side of the page how can I hide it?

katbenjamin
Community Member

Hi Aneeta! Thanks for asking. There's currently no way to hide it.

Can you tell me more about why you would like to hide it? 

Also, others who are reading - is the ability to hide the filters important to you as well?

Katrina

VP Product

katbenjamin
Community Member

Thanks for the suggestion, Douglas. I like that idea and I think there are a lot of features where beta testing is a good way to start. I will take that back to the team.

Katrina

VP Product

wlyonsatl
Community Member

I see Upwork has changed the job Search function, so it runs vertically on the page rather than the former setup.

It isn’t clear why this change was made, as it doesn’t provide any additional useful information to screen for.

In fact, this change is a step backward because even if “hourly” is chosen as the Job Type, the screener makes it possible to select a (completely irrelevant) fixed price budget number or range of numbers.

It would be a lot more useful if selecting the hourly option allowed the screener to screen for a specific per hour price range. I have no interest in seeing a new job posting where the client says they want an “expert” freelancer and are looking to pay $10.00 - $15.00 per hour. No interest at all.

abinadab-agbo
Community Member
Extremely important.
I know where to find filters when I need them.
I bet most other freelancers do.
I don't need the filters plastered at my face every day.
It is most important that I'm able to hide them.

This whole redesign is built on the premise freelancers are not using the filters enough because they don't know where it is.
I tell you they are not adjusting filters every other day because they are just not interested.
traviswolfe2014
Community Member

I noticed that Upwork allows clients to enter an acceptable hourly rate for hourly jobs.  This is a fantastic step forward and much appreciated as a freelancer.  Now I'd ask to gain the ability to filter so that I can, if I choose, to only view jobs which are open to the rate I'd like to charge.  For example in the image below, I could set a filter for $50/hr which would mean that this job won't show in my search.  Since these fields are optional as a client, perhaps I'd also have a check box at my disposal to hide jobs which have not definied an acceptable hourly rate range.

hourly rate.jpg

iaabraham
Community Member

Maria T wrote:

That problem has already occurred.
Some test that has been launched and had not been communicated by any means. Then someone shows up on the forums asking what happens.
Personally, I prefer to know. But as I say, this creates very long threads on the subject in question.
Perhaps when announcing it, it should be clear, very clear, in the first line and in red, that it is a test, that it is not active for everyone and that the data will be given once the test is finished. The latter is also must be very clear, because tests have been carried out that have not been sufficiently informed of their conclusion and have generated, again, huge threads.
My opinion, I hope someone else shows up and comments.

Everything Maria has said is just pure common sense. It should be really obvious to professionals who do testing like this for a living. So either Upwork is **Edited for Community Guidelines**

dreamingfilms
Community Member

Another great Upwork improvement.

Another filter you should add is number of connects required. Really.

robbie3999
Community Member

Hi, I saved a search previously with the old filter, i picked various things including multiple job categories / sub categories, everything worked fine. Now I'm trying to update the search or create a new search, the filter won't let me select more than one job category. If I select sub items in a category, as soon as I go back up to "all categories", it immediately deletes any categories I just selected.

This seems like a step back in functionality. Is there some other way to do this that I am missing?