Expanding Job Search Filters

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
11 of 28

Abinadab A wrote:
Red? We don't need more red please. 😊

Re: Personally, I prefer to know.

I think that's the whole point. Upwork doesn't want you to know so much personally that they are observing your behaviour for a test.

Remember, the act of measuring can often change the measurement itself.

Well, once published, if you have it and others don't, you already know that they are "watching" you, don't you think?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
12 of 28

Maria T wrote:

That problem has already occurred.
Some test that has been launched and had not been communicated by any means. Then someone shows up on the forums asking what happens.
Personally, I prefer to know. But as I say, this creates very long threads on the subject in question.
Perhaps when announcing it, it should be clear, very clear, in the first line and in red, that it is a test, that it is not active for everyone and that the data will be given once the test is finished. The latter is also must be very clear, because tests have been carried out that have not been sufficiently informed of their conclusion and have generated, again, huge threads.
My opinion, I hope someone else shows up and comments.

Everything Maria has said is just pure common sense. It should be really obvious to professionals who do testing like this for a living. So either Upwork is **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
13 of 28

Katrina B wrote:

....Do you appreciate knowing about a change being launched, even if you don't have access right away?

Yes, until you institute proper beta testing.

I imagine someone could post a screenshot of their job search experience in the community and if a second someone didn't know about the test, that second someone might be confused as well.

That does happen.

Would you rather know or not know?

I would rather Upwork offered beta testing on an opt-in basis. Drafting half the users of your product—which is an essential component of our business models and livelihoods—into any given test, with or without public disclosure, is disruptive. And an informed defined cadre of beta testers, or even the early adopters represented by a public beta, will give you much more valuable and actionable information than throwing numbers at the wall to see what sticks.

Highlighted
Top Rated Manager
Katrina B Top Rated Manager Member Since: Sep 3, 2013
14 of 28

Thanks for the suggestion, Douglas. I like that idea and I think there are a lot of features where beta testing is a good way to start. I will take that back to the team.

Katrina

VP Product

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
15 of 28

I see Upwork has changed the job Search function, so it runs vertically on the page rather than the former setup.

It isn’t clear why this change was made, as it doesn’t provide any additional useful information to screen for.

In fact, this change is a step backward because even if “hourly” is chosen as the Job Type, the screener makes it possible to select a (completely irrelevant) fixed price budget number or range of numbers.

It would be a lot more useful if selecting the hourly option allowed the screener to screen for a specific per hour price range. I have no interest in seeing a new job posting where the client says they want an “expert” freelancer and are looking to pay $10.00 - $15.00 per hour. No interest at all.

Highlighted
Aneeta K Member Since: Sep 22, 2020
16 of 28

The job search page is showing the filter option on the left side of the page how can I hide it?

Highlighted
Top Rated Manager
Katrina B Top Rated Manager Member Since: Sep 3, 2013
17 of 28

Hi Aneeta! Thanks for asking. There's currently no way to hide it.

Can you tell me more about why you would like to hide it? 

Also, others who are reading - is the ability to hide the filters important to you as well?

Katrina

VP Product

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
18 of 28
Extremely important.
I know where to find filters when I need them.
I bet most other freelancers do.
I don't need the filters plastered at my face every day.
It is most important that I'm able to hide them.

This whole redesign is built on the premise freelancers are not using the filters enough because they don't know where it is.
I tell you they are not adjusting filters every other day because they are just not interested.
Highlighted
Travis W Member Since: Oct 26, 2017
19 of 28

I noticed that Upwork allows clients to enter an acceptable hourly rate for hourly jobs.  This is a fantastic step forward and much appreciated as a freelancer.  Now I'd ask to gain the ability to filter so that I can, if I choose, to only view jobs which are open to the rate I'd like to charge.  For example in the image below, I could set a filter for $50/hr which would mean that this job won't show in my search.  Since these fields are optional as a client, perhaps I'd also have a check box at my disposal to hide jobs which have not definied an acceptable hourly rate range.

hourly rate.jpg

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Flavio S Member Since: Nov 19, 2015
20 of 28

Another great Upwork improvement.

Another filter you should add is number of connects required. Really.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS