Re: Expanding Specialized Profiles for Freelancers

Community Leader
Stella L Member Since: Jun 23, 2015
21 of 150

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
22 of 150

Hi Stella,

Could you please refresh the page and see if the option is showing now? Let us know if you still can't access it.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Leader
Stella L Member Since: Jun 23, 2015
23 of 150

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
24 of 150

I asked this on the other thread and don't remember getting an answer: once this is available for all skillsets/freelancers, please tell me that having a specialized profile will be optional and that choosing not to make one won't affect us negatively in search or elsewhere?

Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
25 of 150
+1 to what Isabelle Anne said.

I don't know why you always seem to over-complicate things. I am a service provider, I know the type of service that I am offering and I love everything to be on the same page for my clients.
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
26 of 150

Hi Isabelle Anne and Wassim,

Specialized profiles are not required at this time. However, since this feature was enabled we saw that freelancers with specialized profiles are 30%+ more likely to receive invites. With a specialized profile freelancers can more effectively highlight their strengths and market their services to clients looking for specific expertise.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
27 of 150

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Isabelle Anne and Wassim,

Specialized profiles are not required at this time. However, since this feature was enabled we saw that freelancers with specialized profiles are 30%+ more likely to receive invites. With a specialized profile freelancers can more effectively highlight their strengths and market their services to clients looking for specific expertise.

Thanks for acknowledging my question Valeria, but that's not a very reassuring answer. Where can we leave feedback on this feature? It would be very unfair to force this on us in future. In my particular case, I can't (and don't want to) be any more specialized than I already am. Most of my clients don't hire me for just one type of project, so it would be very limiting if I'm pushed into dividing up my profile and categorizing my skills/services.

Like Wassim, I want everything to be in one place for my clients, who need to be able to quickly see what kind of work I do. And given the types of invites I'm getting, clearly many clients are not even paying attention to a single freelancer profile -- what makes Upwork think they'll go through each freelancer's different sections?

Edited to rant a bit more: can we not focus on more important things like attracting more high-quality clients and jobs to the site? The quality of proofreading/editing jobs posts has been increasingly horrible since January, and I haven't even found one decent project to spend my connects on this month. I know I'm not the only one with this experience.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
28 of 150

Thirding the comments from Isabelle and Wassim.  For all the reasons they mentioned.

Community Guru
Tracye G Member Since: Sep 30, 2008
29 of 150

What Isabelle said>>>>   "Edited to rant a bit more: can we not focus on more important things like attracting more high-quality clients and jobs to the site? The quality of proofreading/editing jobs posts has been increasingly horrible since January, and I haven't even found one decent project to spend my connects on this month. I know I'm not the only one with this experience."

AND once again you roll out something that has obviously NOT been tested or thought out and here is why...

I tested the new feature and set up 2 new profiles, one for graphic design and one for web design. I have 4,274 hours with over 100K earned and 306 projects.

When I looked at the new profile one listed me with 107 hours and the other 96 hours and less than 5k earned on both.  Both listed a small fraction of projects. Where did the 4,274 hours, 100k  and 306 projects go???

That is HORRIBLE and would lead a client to think I was a newbie. Needless to say, I deleted them both right away.

How about you do what Isabelle suggested. Spend your money on attracting real clients. The job feed is a joke these days. Low budget fivver type clients wanting Cadillac service with a used bicycle budget.

Thankfully Upwork is not the only game in town!

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
30 of 150

Hi Tracye,

Your work history and earnings are lower because you haven't added those jobs to the specialized profile. Your specialized profile will not include your full earnings and work history as thats not what it is intended to display. Your general profile still houses all of your earnings and your full work history. The specialized profiles will list the jobs and earnings relevant for that category. When creating the specialized profile, you are creating a profile tailored to a specialty. We will pre-select the jobs that are in that category for you. But you should also review the work history and portfolio items in case there are other jobs that fit. You just click 'edit work history' and associate those relevant jobs in Graphic Design or Web Design to that specialized profile and your Work History and earnings on that specialized profile will update. 

edit work history.png

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS