Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expanding Specialized Profiles for Freelancers

Rob W Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
141 of 150
Your answer doesn't make sense.

I deleted both specialized profiles since I don't have any control over who
sees what. The profile that is displayed is determined by keywords which
Upwork determines for the use of the profile that exist.
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
142 of 150

Hi Rob, 

I'm sorry if my answer to your question didn't make sense. When a client uses the search function to search for freelancers we will show them your most relevant profile. For example, if they specifically search for mobile app development and you have a specialized mobile app development profile, that profile will be shown in search results. 

When you submit a proposal for a job, your most relevant specialized profile will be shown to the client when they are reviewing proposals. If you don’t have a specialized profile, the client will see your general profile. While one profile will be shown by default, the client will always be able to view all versions of your profile. 

Here are some other scenarios:

• You want to send a link to your profile to a client. You can choose to send direct links to your general profile or to your specialized profiles. 
  • Someone clicks on your profile from a post you made in our Community. Your general profile will be shown by default, but they’ll be able to view your other profiles.
  • A client accesses your profile from an old contract or past discussion in Messages. Your general profile will be shown by default, but the client will be able to view your other profiles.

-Avery
Untitled
Rob W Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
143 of 150
"I'm sorry if my answer to your question didn't make sense. When a client
uses the search function to search for freelancers we will show them your
most relevant profile. For example, if they specifically search for mobile
app development and you have a specialized mobile app development profile,
that profile will be shown in search results."

That's perfect.

But If:

"When you submit a proposal for a job, your most relevant specialized
profile will be shown to the client when they are reviewing proposals. If
you don’t have a specialized profile, the client will see your general
profile. While one profile will be shown by default, the client will always
be able to view all versions of your profile."

That's the same thing as the first part of your answer, Right?

"You want to send a link to your profile to a client. You can ..."

Why send a different profile to a person who is already a client?

What I don't understand is that if my specialized profile has one or two of
the same keywords as my profile does, how will Upwork know which profile to
display to the client?

Example: One of my common keywords is "Audio" both of my profiles for
Podcasting and audio mixing are about totally different services.

How can I deal with that?

Would I only use "audio" in one profile?" That defeats the purpose of a
specialized profile, right?

Elaman I Member Since: Dec 29, 2015
144 of 150

Before the release of the Specialized profile feature, I wrote my profile to fill one specific niche (one skillset).

Now after Specialized profile feature is release, I've created two profiles each focuses on two different niches.

Question is: What do I do with General profile? Do I rewrite it to accomodate to skiils? Will that affect my visibility in searches? Wouldn't that violate long standing rule to specialize on just single niche?

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
145 of 150

Relevant and valid question, Elaman.  I flagged your post to draw a moderator's attention to it.  Hopefully you will get a direct and informative answer.  And one that the rest of will learn from....

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
146 of 150

Hi Elaman,

Thanks for reaching out. Unlike a general profile, a specialized profile will allow you to create a separate title and overview, as well as set a different rate. It will also let you go into more detail about the type of skills you do work in. For example, for mobile development: programming languages, types of devices you develop on, which categories of apps you’ve worked on, etc. You can keep your general profile the way it is or update it – it's up to you. When a client uses the search function to search for freelancers we will show them your most relevant profile, whether it's your general profile or your specialized one.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
147 of 150

Just to make sure - all your agency members that you assign work to must have their own upwork profiles. You mention a team of 10 people, so there should be 10 people under your agency. You can't have an agency for yourself only. 

Muhammad N Member Since: Mar 13, 2019
148 of 150

thanks for consideration, but i just want to know that can i create specialized profiles on different topic which will show on my uwpwork profile not agency profile. 

Actually the thing is upwork allow me to create speciallized profile. So can i create specialized profile on different topic. 

Mike R Member Since: Nov 27, 2017
149 of 150

I currently have specialized profiles for Captioning/Transcription and Copy Editing/Proofreading.  I'd like to separate captioning from transcription since they are two different services and have different workflows.

Also, I'm looking to add a research service and cannot create a specialized profile.  Since this thread is a year old, does Upwork plan to expand the number of specialized profiles that one can make?  Surely, most of us freelancers have a LOT of talents that clients could use.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
150 of 150

Hi Mike, 

Currently only 2 Specialized profiles can be created in each freelancer profile. We do not have plans of expanding the number of Specialized Profiles that can be created. But I'll pass along your suggestion to the team for their consideration. 

Thank you for sharing it with us!

-Avery
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS