Did you mean: 

Expanding Specialized Profiles for Freelancers

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
21 of 165

Avery O wrote:

Hi Scott, 

I was unable to identify the email that was sent to your account. Could you please share the subject of the email so that I can look into this further?

Hey Avery -

The subject was: "Updates to freelancer search coming soon"

Appreciate it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
22 of 165

Scott B wrote:

Avery O wrote:

Hi Scott, 

I was unable to identify the email that was sent to your account. Could you please share the subject of the email so that I can look into this further?

Hey Avery -

The subject was: "Updates to freelancer search coming soon"

Appreciate it.

Any update here?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
23 of 165

My email about specialized profiles also contained an arbitrary number for my earnings, about half what I earned last year. Since weird reporting of earnings anywhere outside the transaction history is the norm, I ignored that. I was more interested that prioritizing contractors with specialized profiles in search results effectively makes them mandatory.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
24 of 165

Douglas Michael M wrote:

...I was more interested that prioritizing contractors with specialized profiles in search results effectively makes them mandatory.

Since Upwork is effectively going to force me to have a specialized profile, even though I only do one type of work, I guess I'll just make one "specialized" profile that's the same as my general profile.

If I understand correctly, each specialized profile only shows the job history (plus number of jobs and total earnings) that are deemed (by an algorithm) to be relevant to that profile. Is that correct? If so, it's a double-edged sword, as it could make you look as if you're new to Upwork if you've so far done no or few Upwork jobs in the specialized area (even though you may have done many other Upwork jobs).

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
25 of 165

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your question. You can edit a specialized profile, including the "Work history and feedback" section, and use the pencil icon in the upper-right corner to select and include the jobs relevant to the specialized profile.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
26 of 165

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your question. You can edit a specialized profile, including the "Work history and feedback" section, and use the pencil icon in the upper-right corner to select and include the jobs relevant to the specialized profile.

Thanks very much for that clarification, Vladimir. That makes specialized profiles much more attractive than I'd thought.

ETA. It looks like I spoke too soon. Yes, you can include all your jobs in the Work History section of each specialized profile. But the summary figures below your overview--for number of jobs, hours and earnings--won't necessarily include all those jobs. And the reduced earnings figure is the one that will appear in search results!

I've just seen a freelancer with 2 specialized profiles. One of them had all 30 of his jobs in the Work History (the same as in his general profile), but the summary showed only 2 jobs and a fraction of his total earnings. Only this fraction of his total earnings was shown in a search result that hit this specialized profile.

Now I'm wondering whether it would even be OK to create a specialized profile that's identical to my general profile. Maybe Upwork's algorithm would still decide that some of my jobs are not relevant to the specialized profile!

Highlighted
27 of 165

Richard W wrote:

But the summary figures below your overview--for number of jobs, hours and earnings--won't necessarily include all those jobs. And the reduced earnings figure is the one that will appear in search results!

I've just seen a freelancer with 2 specialized profiles. One of them had all 30 of his jobs in the Work History (the same as in his general profile), but the summary showed only 2 jobs and a fraction of his total earnings. Only this fraction of his total earnings was shown in a search result that hit this specialized profile.

Hi Richard,

Could you please send me a private message and share the two profiles you've mentioned, as well as a screenshot of the total earnings not matching the combined earnings of the jobs you assigned to your specialized profile?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
28 of 165

Title sez it all .... GRRRRR

Highlighted
29 of 165

Hi Wendy,

Thank you for sharing your sentiment. I'd like to clarify that the email you received should point to a different area of your expertise that you've had success in and not to the speciality highlighted in your existing specialized profile. Feel free to contact me privately if this isn't the case or in case you have any other feedback regarding the recent notification. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Valerie S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
30 of 165

I received the email last evening with a link saying "create specialized profile", but there's no options to do this on my profile when I click.  I tried using a different browser and logging in fresh, clearing the cache, etc. still no options.  What am I missing?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS