cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expanding Specialized Profiles for Freelancers

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
31 of 58

This new specialized profiles feature has been highly requested from many freelancers for a while now. We understand that many of our users do not just have one service, one specialty, but have several specialties and want to be able to highlight all of them. As an example, a freelancer may be a graphic designer but also a copywriter or translator. Currently, the way profiles are laid out, all of your specialties and expertise are combined into one area, one general profile. Freelancers asked for a way to change this, they shared that setting a rate on their profile was confusing because the rate would be different for each of their services offered. Their overview, portfolio, etc couldn’t be tailored to each speciality. And clients may be deterred from an excellent graphic designer, if they saw mostly translation jobs in their work history. 

We have heard great feedback from freelancer and clients around this feature and future rollouts to other categories. As our understanding of the different types of work getting done on Upwork grows and changes, we'll continue to expand this list in Design and Creative. There is also an opportunity to suggest other specialties on the first step of the wizard where we ask you to select a specialty. So if you don’t see something that quite fits at the moment, suggest it on the wizard or let us know here. 

We understand that some of our features may not offer a benefit to everyone. We’ve heard from a few of you, that you only have one service or specialty that you market on Upwork. Thanks for sharing your feedback, but also understand that there are many freelancers on Upwork who utilize the platform in different ways. 

Untitled
Community Guru
Tracye G Member Since: Sep 30, 2008
32 of 58

My point Lena was to let you know that until they change the hours, total earned and jobs completed to TRUELY reflect our work then it does more harm than good. It makes our profile look like we are just starting out.

I have almost 300 things in my portfolio....that would take me hours to go through, and associate...but it is still not an accurate reflection of my overall work. A waste of time on all levels!!

It is this sort of poorly thought out, half-baked ideas put into every change that goes on here that frustrates the freelancers. All this does is cost us more time and give us less benefit.

The overall idea has potential and if I could have my totals across all profiles with the OVERALL totals then I could see a benefit. 

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
33 of 58

Ok I don't get it. Specialized profiles are supposed to be available only for those who fall in the Mobile Development and Design & Creative categories, right? How come I'm seeing a HUGE annoying popup on top of my profile, which I can't get rid of? (See screenshot.) Does proofreading and editing fall into those categories?? All the categories I've selected for my profile fall under the Writing category.

specialized profile.png

Employee
Cary L Employee Member Since: Jan 11, 2016
34 of 58

Hi Isabelle Anne, 

Thank you for your note! You are right that this feature was only meant to be rolled out to folks in the Design and Creative and Mobile Development Categories for now. (We'll be rolling out the options for the rest of the Categories soon.)

I apologize - we are using a model to look through profiles in order to determine which users might be interested in these options and you were mistakenly identified! We're still refining this model so that we can invite the right people to the right experiences - your feedback is going to be very helpful! 

I'll go ahead and update the experience so that you don't continue to see this prompt to create a Specialized Profile that isn't relevant to you right now. 

Thanks again, 

Cary 

Community Guru
35 of 58

Thank you Cary, but the prompt/popup is still there ... can you please double-check with the team that they've removed it before asking me to clear my cache / delete my cookies?

Community Guru
36 of 58

The popup is still there and I'm yet to receive a response. I've tried a different browser and the prompt still shows. Specialized profiles are fine for those who want it, but I don't want it forced on me, especially when it's not even supposed to be available for my category yet (very strange). Has someone put this on my profile as a response to my criticism on the feature? If so, they've successfully annoyed me because now I have to deal with this thing every time I need to visit/edit my profile.

Should I open a ticket for this or something??

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
37 of 58

Hi Isabelle Anne,

Thanks for your patience, we apologize for the inconvenience. This was not done intentionally Smiley Happy No need to open a ticket. As Cary mentioned, they're refining the model, once updated you will be removed from the experience. We are hoping for early next week but will update you if anything changes via PM. 

-Lena

Untitled
Lisa T Member Since: Apr 26, 2016
38 of 58

It would be good if there was a category for book design, or even one for book covers and one for book interiors. It does take specialized knowledge that I didn't learn in school. A lot of people hire a second person because the first person they hired didn't know what they were doing. Or at least a category for print design, because it's very different from digital design. There's more difference between print and digital than there are between different types of animation.

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
39 of 58

@Lisa T wrote:

It would be good if there was a category for book design, or even one for book covers and one for book interiors. It does take specialized knowledge that I didn't learn in school. A lot of people hire a second person because the first person they hired didn't know what they were doing. Or at least a category for print design, because it's very different from digital design. There's more difference between print and digital than there are between different types of animation.

Exactly what I've been saying, thank you, Lisa!

We also need a way to turn OFF the feature if we can't use it.

Community Leader
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
40 of 58

looks like specialized profile is not an option for us specializing in print design, lol