cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expanding Specialized Profiles for Freelancers

Mustafa H Member Since: Feb 17, 2019
51 of 150

I'm currently finishing my mobile development course and would like to know how can i get invited to join the Upwork specialized profile initiative, I wanna start buidling my new profile by putting projects in the portfolio, taking tests and applying for jobs. Thanks.
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
52 of 150

Hi Mustafa,

Our team is sending invites to create these profiles in batches, once you receive an invitation you will be able to create your specialized profile. Thank you.

Untitled
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
53 of 150

The option of adding a specialized profile was introduced by UpWork a few months ago. I've just tried to add one and I'm blown away by how restrictive the options are and overall, how poorly thought out the whole implementation of this feature has been.

The first thing I notice about the process is that I can't simply add a subspecialty. I would like to add document layout as a subspecialty because it makes a lot of sense with my skillset. Unfortunately, I'm limited to Graphic Design as a subspeciality and I'm forced to pick from a number of deliverables that don't adequately describe what I do. I'm not sure why it wasn't created as a more universal feature that more freelancers could take advantage of (i.e., what was the point of only allowing it in the design sphere?).

The purpose of my post is to generate some discussion from other FLs about what they would like to be able to do with this feature. I think it's a great idea, but the implementation renders it almost unusable.  

Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
54 of 150

Hi Renata,

I have created two specialized profiles, and yes, it is very restrictive. I commented on another thread.
Since there is no good "list" of options, until they improve it, they should add an option to write what you do or how and with what you do it.
This would also help them to know what is missing in their design.

Edited to clarify:
This is the thread I was talking about Smiley Happy
Suddenly we have appeared here!

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
55 of 150

Maria T wrote:

Hi Renata,

I have created two specialized profiles, and yes, it is very restrictive. I commented on another thread.
Since there is no good "list" of options, until they improve it, they should add an option to write what you do or how and with what you do it.
This would also help them to know what is missing in their design.

Hi Maria,

I think what bothers me is that this seems to have been designed with little (or most likely no) consultation with freelancers. Even if my only option is "graphic design" I should be able to choose "document layout" as an option rather than a specific "deliverable."

And I agree that being able to enter what you want would be helpful. At the very least, it would even be helpful if we were asked to comment on what was missing from the list on some sort of feedback pop-up if we couldn't get through the profile creation process. It would have been more helpful if some initial research  had been part of the design process for creating this (i.e., asking FLs about what might be most helpful instead of assuming they already knew what that was). It seems that it's been created by people who have no idea what FLs do in their jobs. 

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to understand which profile clients are landing on (i.e., if the specialized profiles are generating any results). 

Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
56 of 150

Well, asking freelancers before implementing something, has never been one of their best features Robot wink

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
57 of 150

Thanks for your feedback, Renata and Maria. We've been sharing feedback freelancers post here about specialized profiles with the team that's working on improving the feature. 

I've also merged your post to the Announcement thread so we can keep all feedback in the same place.

Renata S wrote:

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to understand which profile clients are landing on (i.e., if the specialized profiles are generating any results). 

Clients will see the profile that's most relevant to their search. If it's the specialized profile, they'll see that. If it's the main profile, they'll see the main profile. In any case, they'll be able to switch between the two and view the complete information.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
58 of 150

So, here’s my short story about specialized profiles:

Since my invitations fell to literally “0” (zero) I made two specialized profiles to try the new feature. My first thought was this is not specialized enough. Illustration but what kind? Digital? Hand drawn? Children’s book? I make digital illustrations but I can’t draw a stick man if my life depended on it. I don’t even have image editing as an option while nearly half of my jobs are image editing. So I put my editing jobs to Graphic Design category. One of my profiles was showing 1/10th of my total earnings, which I guess is as designed. That made me unhappy but I kept the divided profiles. To be able to see the effect of my new profiles I started to check my stats every day and it says “You replied to 4 of 4 invitations to apply in the past 90 days”. Still not getting any invites what about profile views; how many prospective clients discovered me this week? “0” (zero). What? Why? I came to forums to see If anyone else is experiencing the same thing and then I learned that everybody and their cousins have 0 (zero) views.

Now I want to ask you, how I can see the effectiveness of my new profiles if the only statistics available to me is malfunctioning. Since I started asking, why don’t you add sub categories and let us choose what we want to specialize in, instead of giving us two very broad options? Maybe I want to write novels as my second specialty. Maybe I am a prolific editor in my B&M life and want to bring that to the virtual table. OK, let’s forget about writing, I have a lot of 3D modeling jobs completed with flying colors in my history but I don’t have 3D modeling as a specialization. In Turkish when something happens rarely we say once in 40 years… Once in 40 years you introduce a new feature that looks promising and this time you implement it so badly that I took both of my specialized profiles on hold for the foreseeable future.

Ace Contributor
Lisa T Member Since: Apr 26, 2016
59 of 150

It would be good if there was a category for book design, or even one for book covers and one for book interiors. It does take specialized knowledge that I didn't learn in school. A lot of people hire a second person because the first person they hired didn't know what they were doing. Or at least a category for print design, because it's very different from digital design. There's more difference between print and digital than there are between different types of animation.

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
60 of 150

@Lisa T wrote:

It would be good if there was a category for book design, or even one for book covers and one for book interiors. It does take specialized knowledge that I didn't learn in school. A lot of people hire a second person because the first person they hired didn't know what they were doing. Or at least a category for print design, because it's very different from digital design. There's more difference between print and digital than there are between different types of animation.

Exactly what I've been saying, thank you, Lisa!

We also need a way to turn OFF the feature if we can't use it.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS