Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expanding Specialized Profiles for Freelancers

Highlighted
Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
71 of 165

So, here’s my short story about specialized profiles:

Since my invitations fell to literally “0” (zero) I made two specialized profiles to try the new feature. My first thought was this is not specialized enough. Illustration but what kind? Digital? Hand drawn? Children’s book? I make digital illustrations but I can’t draw a stick man if my life depended on it. I don’t even have image editing as an option while nearly half of my jobs are image editing. So I put my editing jobs to Graphic Design category. One of my profiles was showing 1/10th of my total earnings, which I guess is as designed. That made me unhappy but I kept the divided profiles. To be able to see the effect of my new profiles I started to check my stats every day and it says “You replied to 4 of 4 invitations to apply in the past 90 days”. Still not getting any invites what about profile views; how many prospective clients discovered me this week? “0” (zero). What? Why? I came to forums to see If anyone else is experiencing the same thing and then I learned that everybody and their cousins have 0 (zero) views.

Now I want to ask you, how I can see the effectiveness of my new profiles if the only statistics available to me is malfunctioning. Since I started asking, why don’t you add sub categories and let us choose what we want to specialize in, instead of giving us two very broad options? Maybe I want to write novels as my second specialty. Maybe I am a prolific editor in my B&M life and want to bring that to the virtual table. OK, let’s forget about writing, I have a lot of 3D modeling jobs completed with flying colors in my history but I don’t have 3D modeling as a specialization. In Turkish when something happens rarely we say once in 40 years… Once in 40 years you introduce a new feature that looks promising and this time you implement it so badly that I took both of my specialized profiles on hold for the foreseeable future.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Lisa T Member Since: Apr 26, 2016
72 of 165

It would be good if there was a category for book design, or even one for book covers and one for book interiors. It does take specialized knowledge that I didn't learn in school. A lot of people hire a second person because the first person they hired didn't know what they were doing. Or at least a category for print design, because it's very different from digital design. There's more difference between print and digital than there are between different types of animation.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
73 of 165

@Lisa T wrote:

It would be good if there was a category for book design, or even one for book covers and one for book interiors. It does take specialized knowledge that I didn't learn in school. A lot of people hire a second person because the first person they hired didn't know what they were doing. Or at least a category for print design, because it's very different from digital design. There's more difference between print and digital than there are between different types of animation.

Exactly what I've been saying, thank you, Lisa!

We also need a way to turn OFF the feature if we can't use it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
74 of 165

looks like specialized profile is not an option for us specializing in print design, lol

Highlighted
Kimberley C Member Since: Jan 1, 2017
75 of 165

Hi there, I got an email about this but cannot find anywhere on how to actually implement it?

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
76 of 165

Hi Kimberley,

Could you please go to your Account > Find Work> Profile, I checked this for you and you have enabled feature now. Let us know if you need any further assistance. Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Valeriia V Member Since: Apr 27, 2016
77 of 165

I have the same problem, got the email for this feature and when I click ''Create a specialized profile'' it redirects me to my page on Upwork but no wizard step-by-step pops up. What to do? 

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
78 of 165

Hi Valeriia,

Please go to Find Work > Profile on your account and you'll see the option and guide to set up a specialized profile. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Valeriia.png

Highlighted
Himaloy A Member Since: Jan 18, 2017
79 of 165

how c an i create specialized versions of  my general profile?

Highlighted
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
80 of 165

Hi Himaloy,

To create a specialized profile, please go to Find Work > Profile. For more information, please check out this help article. Thank you!

-Joanne
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS