cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending the time before you can retake a Skills Test

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
1 of 23

Today, if you want to retake a Skills Test on Upwork you can usually do so after a 30-day waiting period. 30-days seemed a reasonable timeframe before someone could attempt answering the same quiz with the goal of increasing their score(s).

However, we’ve found this “waiting period” to be too short. In most cases, the tests aren’t changing that quickly so test takers might come back to answer the same questions without a true improvement in the subject matter itself.

In the coming months we plan to extend the “waiting period” so that changes in Skills Tests scores more accurately represent improved abilities/knowledge about a skill area. Doing so is one part of our overall effort to improve skills tests and make sure they're more representative of your knowledge of certain subjects. We’re also working on the creation, and refresh, of dozens of tests and retiring older irrelevant ones.

We have a couple of options in mind for the new “waiting period”, 90 days and 180 days. This would mean that after taking a Skill Test, if you tried retaking that same test, you’d be blocked from doing so until either 90 days or 180 days have passed.

Which of these options do you think is best? Any strong feelings either way?  We’re gathering input here and elsewhere, along with looking at average behavior/activity of Upwork users today. In other words, we’re not basing our decision solely on the replies in this thread, but we’d love to get your thoughts.

Thanks.

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
2 of 23

Please don't change it at all - please keep it at 30 and focus on something else.

*Edited to add: and thank you for asking for our input first before going ahead with any unwanted changes Smiley Indifferent

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
3 of 23

Isabelle Anne and Jess,

Thank you for your feedback. We have various teams working on different things and one team working on this initiative doesn't mean that resources are taken away from other initiatives such as reviewing client accounts. 

Additionally, extending the time to re-take the tests can help address one of the issues you've pointed out. The test would update before the freelancer is able to retake it so they will need to improve their knowledge of the subject matter instead of memorizing or looking up the answers.

As Garnor pointed out we are also working on updating the tests and retiring those that are very outdated.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
4 of 23

Hi Isabelle, 

How's going? It's been a long time! 

Your comment made me curious to check your profile and see your test results. You've done a great job. Amazing my friend! 

Just wanted to let you know that I took a couple of tests before and did horrible with them. At college I used to always fail in multiple choice quizzes. Even when the topic is Engineering, to me they always seem like English tests. This is why I stopped taking any tests since a long time.

You know why I always fail? Well most tests these days are like:

Given: X is a positive integer. When you divide X by the third prime number you get the value of Y. The question: What is the capital of Mozambique?

Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
5 of 23

Wassim T: Given: X is a positive integer. When you divide X by the third prime number you get the value of Y. The question: What is the capital of Mozambique?

Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
6 of 23

What Isabelle said.

The skills tests are hopelessly outdated. Making us wait longer to retake them won't change that. All of the Adobe software tests, for example, are at least three years behind, and don't reflect any of the new features of the Creative Cloud model. The basic English language tests are available by a quick Google to get 100% without any effort.

A better use of your time would be to abolish all of these tests and work on screening out bogus clients and dead end job offers.

Ace Contributor
Saloria S Member Since: Apr 7, 2017
7 of 23

Jess C, all I can say is, spot on about the bogus clients. These clients that need 70-90 freelancers (good grief) are flying through like locusts. I took the Virtual Assistanct test and didn't do too well, but I think a client will rather be impressed by sample work or proof of skills rather than test scores.

This widget could not be displayed.
8 of 23
This widget could not be displayed.

Hello. Kindly leave the tests' wait time the way they are. Do not extend the waiting period so outrageously.

Cheers Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
9 of 23

If the goal is to encourage self-improvement before retaking the test, and to allow time for the test to be updated, then I think that's a good idea.

In general I don't find test results that useful as a client. I glance at them but rarely use them to make a recruiting decision, because I find they're not very indicative of skill at the moment. So improvements to the test system across the board would be welcome.

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
10 of 23

I like the 90 day option because it could, indeed, encourage the freelancer to improve their skills.  I also like it because it might be effective in discouraging wannabe freelancers who probably don't belong on the platform in the first place.

Sigh.  I suppose the freelancers who take the entire test in 5 minutes or less will still be around.  Sigh.