🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Faster payouts for hourly contracts
Page options

Faster payouts for hourly contracts

lenaellis
Community Member

We have heard from many in our community that you need your earnings faster, especially now. Today, we are happy to announce that all Top Rated freelancers and agencies working on hourly contracts are eligible to receive their funds five days earlier. This is because we are eliminating the security hold on their payouts. 

For Top Rated agencies and freelancers, the earnings for hours that you worked last week will be available to manually withdraw this Friday. You will see a notification under your bell icon and receive an email about the updated payment schedule for your hourly contracts for this week. 

Because this is for Top Rated agencies and freelancers, the early release of funds will depend on when you currently have the Top Rated badge. If you lose or earn the Top Rated status during this time, your payment schedule will be adjusted to include or exclude the security hold.

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 9.22.03 AM.png

How does it work?

As long as your client’s billing method can be charged successfully and they don’t dispute your hours, we will apply their payment to your Upwork account five days earlier than before if you are Top Rated. You can then withdraw the money anytime you prefer by clicking here and choosing “Get Paid Now.” Note: If you have an automatic payment schedule set up,  this will not adjust the schedule, so if you want your earnings sooner, you also can use “Get Paid Now.”

Why are we only rolling this out to Top Rated freelancers and agencies?

We know that many of the talent on Upwork would benefit from receiving their earnings faster. However, during these unprecedented times, changing our policies also creates a higher risk of fraud. Due to the potential risk, we are initially rolling this out to the marketplace’s most successful freelancers and agencies—those who are Top Rated. In the future, we will consider expanding this to other freelancers. 

Why do we have a 10-day wait in the first place? 

There is an inherent risk in payment processing, driven by the potential of fraudulent people, disputes, and chargebacks. We also need to give clients time to review their freelancer’s billed hours and project progress before payment is released. But in these unusual times, we understand how important it is for you to get payouts as quickly as possible. As a result, we are willing to take on additional risk and remove the security-hold period for Top Rated freelancers and agencies so you can get your money five days sooner.

Will this be available only during COVID-19?

While we plan to continue the practice after the COVID-19 pandemic ends, we will be monitoring the impacts of this change. 

Why is this only available for earnings on hourly contracts and not fixed-price contracts? 

With faster payments we decided to focus on the removal of security holds from hourly contracts first because the majority of contracts on Upwork are hourly. We understand faster payments will be a benefit for all contract types and we plan to explore making fixed-price payments faster in the future.

Upwork is dedicated to our community, and all of our teams are focused on keeping independent professionals working. Please visit our Help Center article for more details and let us know if you have any additional questions.

847 Comments
VladimirG
Community Manager

Hi Donna,

To clarify, your official payment date will continue to show as Wednesday, as before. This is because we won’t know which payments will be released early until we review accounts every Friday morning (if your client disputes your hours or their payment fails, we can’t release your payment until the issue is resolved). As long as there’s no issues, your payment will be posted to your Upwork account on the Friday before the Wednesday date that is listed. For example, if your payment date is listed as Wednesday, May 27, you will receive it on Friday, May 22.

neova
Community Member

thank you, very helpful for this time

browersr
Community Member

The email communication that is being sent about these advanced payments is rather odd. I got an email showing just one of my contracts, stating I have been paid early. I thought it was odd to only show one contract but when I went to UW to withdraw the funds, it showed the entire amount for all contracts as being available. 20 minutes later I got another email with one of my other contracts indicating it was ready and 5 minutes after that a 3rd email. I'd understand if these contracts were being looking at separately but as mentioned the entire amount was available from the time of the first email. Obviously that all funds were ready to go is really what matters here, but it's worth bringing up that the current process for sending these emails is odd and can lead to initial confusion. Best to just send one email and frankly it is not necessary to show the amount in the email. 

barroga_ryan
Community Member

This is awesome, kudos for you guys!

harrissuzanne
Community Member

I want to opt out because this messes up my ability to organize weekly hours logged. For example: I logged one hour yesterday, Thurs 5/21 -- and this morning it has already disappeared from my Thursday 5/21 time log and moved into the Available column with no indication of what time or day that hour occurred. That's not ok. I need to see how many hours I've logged for each client each week, and what time those hours were logged -- at least one week at a time. I appreciate that you're trying to help people but I need to see my weekly hours as they happened. I didn't ask for this system and I don't want it. I want to see my weekly hours as they are logged. How do I opt out?

VladimirG
Community Manager

Hi Suzanne,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I understand the rationale behind your request and I'll share it with our team for further consideration. Unfortunately, at the moment, we don't have an opt-out option available for this feature but we'll make sure to follow up with an update in case that option becomes available.

You can continue monitoring this thread for further updates and feel free to contact me directly by selecting my photo/name > Message. Thank you.

oeremenko
Community Member

Thank you! It really helps a lot.

Can I ask you? How long will payments be in this mode?

BojanS
Community Manager

Hi Oleg,

Thank you for this question and your feedback. While we plan to continue the practice after the COVID-19 pandemic ends, we will be monitoring how this change impacts our marketplace and business. 

hmaritz
Community Member

Thank You team @ Upwork

jeevswork
Community Member

Thanks a mill... very helpful