🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Faster payouts for hourly contracts
Page options

Faster payouts for hourly contracts

lenaellis
Community Member

We have heard from many in our community that you need your earnings faster, especially now. Today, we are happy to announce that all Top Rated freelancers and agencies working on hourly contracts are eligible to receive their funds five days earlier. This is because we are eliminating the security hold on their payouts. 

For Top Rated agencies and freelancers, the earnings for hours that you worked last week will be available to manually withdraw this Friday. You will see a notification under your bell icon and receive an email about the updated payment schedule for your hourly contracts for this week. 

Because this is for Top Rated agencies and freelancers, the early release of funds will depend on when you currently have the Top Rated badge. If you lose or earn the Top Rated status during this time, your payment schedule will be adjusted to include or exclude the security hold.

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 9.22.03 AM.png

How does it work?

As long as your client’s billing method can be charged successfully and they don’t dispute your hours, we will apply their payment to your Upwork account five days earlier than before if you are Top Rated. You can then withdraw the money anytime you prefer by clicking here and choosing “Get Paid Now.” Note: If you have an automatic payment schedule set up,  this will not adjust the schedule, so if you want your earnings sooner, you also can use “Get Paid Now.”

Why are we only rolling this out to Top Rated freelancers and agencies?

We know that many of the talent on Upwork would benefit from receiving their earnings faster. However, during these unprecedented times, changing our policies also creates a higher risk of fraud. Due to the potential risk, we are initially rolling this out to the marketplace’s most successful freelancers and agencies—those who are Top Rated. In the future, we will consider expanding this to other freelancers. 

Why do we have a 10-day wait in the first place? 

There is an inherent risk in payment processing, driven by the potential of fraudulent people, disputes, and chargebacks. We also need to give clients time to review their freelancer’s billed hours and project progress before payment is released. But in these unusual times, we understand how important it is for you to get payouts as quickly as possible. As a result, we are willing to take on additional risk and remove the security-hold period for Top Rated freelancers and agencies so you can get your money five days sooner.

Will this be available only during COVID-19?

While we plan to continue the practice after the COVID-19 pandemic ends, we will be monitoring the impacts of this change. 

Why is this only available for earnings on hourly contracts and not fixed-price contracts? 

With faster payments we decided to focus on the removal of security holds from hourly contracts first because the majority of contracts on Upwork are hourly. We understand faster payments will be a benefit for all contract types and we plan to explore making fixed-price payments faster in the future.

Upwork is dedicated to our community, and all of our teams are focused on keeping independent professionals working. Please visit our Help Center article for more details and let us know if you have any additional questions.

847 Comments
eldread
Community Member

I qualified for the faster payout feature and it kicked in once, but I noticed for my latest week it went back to the same 10 day format that pays out on Wednesday (or at least that's what it seems like according to my transaction statement). Is the faster payout supposed to happen only once a month or ever other payment? Hoping to get some clarity this. Thanks.

BojanS
Community Manager

Hi Ainsworth,

Your official payment date will continue to show as Wednesday. This is because we won’t know which payments will be released early until we review accounts every Friday morning (if your client disputes your hours or their payment fails, we can’t release your payment until the issue is resolved). As long as there are no issues, your payment will be posted to your Upwork account on the Friday before the Wednesday date that is listed. 

Thank you.

eldread
Community Member

Thanks for the explanation, Bojan.

qadoos
Community Member

This is great news from upwork. Today I got my payments 5 days early.
Thank you upwork team!

andreicurta
Community Member

Awesome thing!!

nzakatony
Community Member

I also work on fixed price contracts only as they allow me more flexibility. From the email they sent about removing the security hold, they said that most contracts on the platform are hourly. I didn't know that. All the same, Upwork should really consider Top Rated freelancers working on fixed price contracts too. I can't wait for this convenience.

nzakatony
Community Member

So there used to be a 10-day waiting period for hourly contracts? I thought that all contracts had a 5-day waiting period for payments (must have read and forgotten since I don't work on hourly contracts). Anyway, first of all, I applaud the effort since it shows that Upwork is really thoughtful of freelancers and that's a good thing, thank you. Now, since there are those of us who work exclusively on fixed price contracts and are yet to get any such conveniences, why not reduce the times a little bit, even from 5 to maybe 2 days? That would really help. And since it was possible for the majority of contracts, I guess the fewer fixed price contracts shouldn't be much of a problem. That would give everyone something to celebrate about. Please add that to your considerations. Thanks.

denisrichard
Community Member
Wonderfull job. You won my heart.
zorrotmm
Community Member

At least fixed price contracts were already faster to pay out, but there is definitely the question of why there would be a delay in the first place.

graceconcepcionr
Community Member
I dont know what’s wrong but I did not receive my pay today. I was getting early payouts for a month now.

I need help.