Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faster payouts for hourly contracts

Highlighted
Community Leader
Lucio Ricardo M Member Since: May 16, 2018
41 of 741

You gotta know the clients that times. at least, I have not seen any case that they have the no shame to cancel the payment request. That they are that kind of clients, thre are, but there are other kind of clients that are your friends and if you say them you are in a need they approve a milestone at the moment you sayy them that you are needed the money, even before the work is finished.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Lucio Ricardo M Member Since: May 16, 2018
42 of 741

Much thanks to Upwork which heard us about the times, more because the time for the funds are delaying several days to go to the bank accounts, or i don't know if I am misreading that from an isolate sucess where my hard-earned funds have delayed to come to my account (but if the transfer time is now usually less than 24 hours, as had happened to me last year, now what happened to my money).

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Daniel G Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
43 of 741

To Irfan Ullah K:

He probably "needs" (like many others) to withdraw money faster, without Upwork holding the amount unnecesarilly for 5 more days.. The client approves the final milestone, ends the contract, releases the money - job is done, client has checked whatever he needed done to be in order, he liked it and released the funds. What more security does Upwork need?

Oh and you were kind of aggresive in your message...  Perhaps you didn't know: hourly contracts are different than fixed price contracts, so it is quite alright if payouts are not the same. It is okay for a freelancer working on a fixed price job to get her/his money instantly (IF the client approves the milestone instantly), while a freelancer who works hourly needs to wait for 5 more days after job completion - you don't have to be jealous Smiley Happy

In other words: you, the freelancer working hourly, have to wait 5 days max for the client to review your work and approve it. You then had to wait 5 more days for Upwork to release the money. This last 5 days waiting period is now removed by Upwork. In the case of freelancers working on fixed price jobs, we also have to wait until the client reviews and approves our work - only that Upwork gives the client 14 days to do this (so yes, if a client becomes unresponsive, we have to wait 14 days for the milestone to get approved). And on top of that, we also have to wait 5 more days for Upwork to release the funds. This 5 day waiting period for fixed price contracts is NOT removed, but it is removed for hourly contracts.. So where's the justice in that?

Highlighted
Adonijah A Member Since: Dec 14, 2018
44 of 741

To Daniel

This was also my point. Really glad that someone shares my views. It does not make sense for a client to approve a project, but then Upwork still holds it for 5 more days. The client has already had enough time to ascertain that the work meets the requirements. Holding on it beats logic. It is rather the 14-day period for clients to review remains the same (though it can still be shortened/reduced), but the 5-day waiting period for fixed hour contracts is eliminated. That column should be removed as it does not add any value to Upwork, the client, or the freelancer. I wish there was a voting system so that we vote on such issues, but the only thing we can do is air out our grievances.

Highlighted
Jeanne B Member Since: May 4, 2020
45 of 741

Awesome news! 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
46 of 741

Irfan Ullah K wrote:
Hourly contracts payouts are now done in 5 days rather than 10 days.

Fixed contracts payments were already being released in 5 days. This means now both hourly and fixed contracts will be paid out in 5 days. So what else do you need?

By my count, this is actually a reduction from 14 days to 9 days, and not 10 days to 5 days.

Highlighted
Lisa H Member Since: Oct 28, 2018
47 of 741

This was my question also.

Highlighted
Mohammad Q Member Since: Sep 13, 2016
48 of 741

Superb . Thannk you Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Mary Joyce T Member Since: May 4, 2020
49 of 741

That would be helpful. Thank you.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
David M Member Since: Jul 12, 2015
50 of 741

Thank you for listening to the community!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS