cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Releases: Freelancer Initiated Milestones, Notepad in Messages and Client Rehire Button

Kevin K Member Since: Apr 30, 2017
11 of 35

I used the new Notepad feature to record some notes for discussion with my Freelancer, and now the Notes feature seems to have disappeared.  Not sure I will be trying any new features from Upwork again until there is a little more certainty that they won't just disappear the next day... Smiley Sad

KK

Community Guru
Lanie M Member Since: Jun 24, 2015
12 of 35

Hi Kevin, we'll reach out to your directly for further assistance.

Lanie M
Untitled
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
13 of 35

@Lena E wrote:

Hi everyone,

We have several new features that will be release in the next two weeks that we hope you will find useful. Let us know your feedback. 

Freelancer Initiated Milestones:

This week, freelancers and agencies will be able to propose milestones when submitting proposals for fixed-price projects over $100. This functionality can be found in the “Describe your terms” section of the proposal.
Freelancers will see an option to divide the work into milestones, providing each with a description, amount, and optional due date. Clients will have the option to edit milestones as part of the offer process, giving freelancers the ability to accept or decline.

This has been a request from our Community for a long time and we are glad to finally share this update with you all. We hope that by having freelancers initiate the milestones, they can better explain their bid amount and demonstrate their approach to the work.

We will be expanding this functionality into contracts, allowing freelancers to add milestones on active contracts in the coming months. To learn more check out our blog post here.

...(snip)

Let us know if you have any questions on these features!

I received a proposal with a freelancer-initiated milestone for the first time today. While my posted budget was over $100 (it was $140), the freelancer's *proposal* was under $100 - they proposed one milestone of $19. Not sure if this is intended?

Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
14 of 35

Lena, what is the purpose of the milestone feature?  I am setting it at just one milestone yet the client overrides it and sets milestones, only funds part of the job,  and I STILL have to tell the client I don't work in milestones.  This is no different than it was before? 

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
15 of 35

Having submitted a proposal today and encountering the milestone 'feature' it is really, really important that providers put a caveat in the written proposal stating that your 1st  milestone quote is not indicative of the full price.

Explain that the system requires it but that you can not estimate total cost of project nor confirmed delivery date (SOP 99% of the time anyway).

Having encountered the feature, it fails to do what it is intended to do. What should have been done - had anyone at U asked providers - was to ask for an estimate of the project AND the cost of the 1st milestone. 

There is no sense in adding the 2nd or 3rd milestone because we still don't know the full scope of the project without communication with the potential client.  

As it stands now, the 'feature' is both confusing and, for the client, grossly misleading.

Yep, the litany of "please ask providers before implementing a feature" is getting old. Sadly, it remains true.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
16 of 35

Hi Jessica, 

This feature release allows freelancers to propose milestones as part of the proposal process to help freelancers better explain your total bid amount, and demonstrate your approach to the projcet. Clients are able to edit, or change the milestones when they make an offer.

In the near future we will be expanding this release to allow for freelancers to also edit milestones on active contracts. However, we recommend to both freelancers and clients to discuss the work before sending or accepting an offer.

If you prefer to work as one lump sum, and the client in separate milestones, we would recommend that you communicate with them about the best way to approach the project.

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
17 of 35

I personally like the fact that I can now do milestones. I have a big project that I was able to break down for a new client I have, and she was pleased that it could be done that way. For this project, I gave 1 milestone and about what I expected for all work described{to be fair it was also very detailed}, and then after being interviewed by the client and having asked for her exact needs, I then broke it down into 3 milestones and fixed the quote so it would more accurate in 3 milestones, which the client approved.

I do see Wendy's point though that you can't do it like that with all bids if you don't have all the info. 

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
18 of 35

Tis a **bleep**tle pot...

Community Guru
19 of 35

I'm a loud advocate of the ability to set milestones; always have been. Especially when it comes to adding on to current or reactivating existing jobs with/for the next piece of work needed.

The problem in the bid situation I described (and that exists as it now stands) is that there is no way to give the potential client an estimate for the full job.  That is, other than using the caveat I mentioned above.

Community Guru
20 of 35

Adding to above post 'cos system wouldn't let me edit it ...

If anyone can come up with an effective work-around to this -  please share!!!!