cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Security Concerns of UpWork New Tracking App with Messaging!

Employee
Ivo V Employee Member Since: Jun 1, 2015
71 of 153

Chris,

Thanks for bringing this up! The feature is definitely on our schedule, and we’ll be working on making it happen starting in 2016.

Ramandeep K Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
72 of 153

@Varun K wrote:

Hi Ivo,

I just downloaded the newer version of the app and I'm unable to install it on my computer. I use Windows Vista and I ran the .exe as an 'administrator' and disabled my anti-virus but the app just doesn't even appear when you double click the executable.

Can you please help me with this? I have installed the older version for now.

Cheers,

Varun

@Vladislav M wrote:

Guys, admit it... it's just not ready for production. That notice I've got today from Upwork that Jan 1st old app will stop working - simply throws us under the bus

So, I am not alone with Win Vista issue. Varun is also facing exactly the same problem. I hope Upwork will consider to postpone their deadline of 1st Jan. The new app is simply not yet ready to launch.

Jhocyn B Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
73 of 153

I agree I am also using window vista and the app is not working after installing the upwork set up nothing happens when im clicking set up it doesn't appear i can't install the app? so what will happen to us using window vista we can't stop working and wait for it to be fixed. Smiley Sad  

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
74 of 153

Hi Jhocyn,

Please, check out this help article, specifically the information at the bottom about installing the Team App on Windows Vista.

I hope this helps.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Alekszej I Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
75 of 153

About your new upwork application. I am very unsatisfied with your new application, because it eats a lot physical memory of my computer. Your new application is a two files (upwork.exe), 125 + 113 megabytes each. Why they are so big? The old oDesk application has been consuming a lot less memory. Fire your developers! What about they are thinking? I don’t need plenty of cool functions; I need a time counter who eats in my computer as less recourses as possible. Please do something, some lightweight version. Thank you in advance Alekszej.

Andy D Member Since: Dec 12, 2015
76 of 153

Please also add the ability to choose how long the snapshot is displayed.  Often I"m in the middle of a thought when I hear the ding, so it's nice to be able to glance at it 10 or 20 seconds later and make sure no private information is being displayed.  Sometimes i have to check my email to see if a client messaged, and if the inbox is still open, I feel awkward for that snapshot to get sent.  I don't do any non-client related emailing, but sometimes even work for just the client requires careful curating of snapshots.

Ramandeep K Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
77 of 153

Finaly, I got reply from support team. The solution they provided worked smoothly and now I am able to use new team app on Windows Vista.

Thanks everyone.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
78 of 153

Hi Ramandeep,

I'm glad to hear your problem was resolved successfully. As an update for all Vista users working on Hourly jobs that might be having problems with installing the Team App, Vista blocks unknown downloaded programs by default.

The solution is to allow execution in the installer file properties, by following the steps outlined in this screenshot.

Highlighted
Azan A Member Since: May 6, 2015
79 of 153

I wanted to discuss couple of things related to new upWork Team tracking app

We all have been getting the notification that if we are using the old version of App then we need to shift to latest version of UpWork app by end of December.

I got this notification so I followed the mentioned link and downloaded the App. When I logged in and explored it a little I got to know that our messages are available through that app as well.

So now the point here I want to discuss is that through that app our messages and everything is accessible. Now sometimes one is doing pair programming with designer as per the project requirements. In that case a message can pop up or anyone can access that messages from the app. There can be so many messages that no one would like to share with anyone due to security reasons. But through this app everything is accessible and is not even password protected. If you are logged in to app then anyone can access messages and read very secret conversations with clients like payments, projects, emails, some important credentials or it it could be any thing important.

Now don't you think that tracking app should only be for time tracking and not for messaging functionality. Now a simple example is:

I logged into my colleage machine for providing some work to client with tracker on and later signed out. My password was saved in that machine for time tracking app. Now with saved credentials one can log back in to the app and you do not want to delete credentials either so if there comes any need of work you can ask him to login and track it. Now with older version no one can access any information even after logging into the app. But with this latest version anyone who logged into app can access messages which is something no one would like.

There can be a case that we have a very special client and our client wants to design a special logo. We have designer available and client wants to track his time as well. In that case he has to login to track. Now in that case our messages and our communication, rates and everything would be visible through messages which no one would want. Because the reason is that everyone wants to facilitate his client but no one would ever want to share the important and secret information with other people.

I feel this is high security concern. This is one reason one may not want to switch to latest app and neither would want to lose clients. I think tracking app should only be for tracking purpose and even if you think you are facilitating a user with adding messaging functionality then it should be password protected everytime. So if one tries to access it then it should ask for password.

What do you guys think? Either their should be some settings to turn off messages for all the apps or there should be some password protection so even if someone wants to access he must log in first!

Please share your thoughts as I have been asked by UpWork support to highlight this issue in community to check out what they think?

Your feedback on this will be highly appreciated!

Thanks

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
80 of 153

Hi Azan,

As per Upwork policies, the only person who is allowed to use the Team App is the account owner. Logging time on other users' Team App and contracts is a serious violation of Upwork policies and can lead to account suspension for all parties involved. I see you have one team member, but it sound like you have a few more users working on behalf of your Agency. If this is the case, please add all your team members to your Agency profile in order to be in line with Upwork's ToS.

Please let me know if you need additional assistance.