cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback on the new Upwork Team App

Employee
Ivo V Employee Member Since: Jun 1, 2015
11 of 153

Vladislav – unfortunately, we don’t have any plans to support OS X 10.6 because of the very small number of users. That OS is quite old.

However, we are planning to improve the contracts search & selection even more, yes!

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 153

Hi Ivo,

I would love for it to work on an iPad. Especially with the Pro out now it would be great!

i would like the on button to be more responsive. Many times it seems to take several seconds to respond and I am not sure if it is on or not and keep clicking it.

i would like something really obvious when the tracker fails. A few times I did not notice for a very long time that it was no longer working because the "your tracker failed" thing was hidden beneath my browser. I would like an obvious colour change of the task bar icon to show if it is tracking or not, such as grey for not tracking and green when tracking. I sometimes forget to turn it on.... 

the old tracker could be used without internet for a while. The new one can't be started when there is no internet. 

Employee
13 of 153

Supporting tracking time on tablets is part of our vision and we are definitely planning to make it possible.

In case the Team App becomes unresponsive for some reason, an easily-noticeable alert will be shown on top of other windows.

I’m not sure which OS you are using, but in general, on all OS versions, in cases when you are not tracking time, the Up icon is black, otherwise it is green.

Also, if you would like to be able to start tracking even when there is no Internet connection, please use ‘Remember me’ so the app remembers your credentials. Then, you will be able to start the app and start tracking time. Hope this helps!

Ace Contributor
Ani M Member Since: Nov 1, 2015
14 of 153

I'd like to see it a little more accurate. Depending on when I start my timing, it will sometimes overtrack by 10 minutes a session, so I have to go into the Work Diary and adjust the time.  Why not use a minute tracker and take snapshots every 10 minutes? 

Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
15 of 153

@Ani M wrote:

I'd like to see it a little more accurate. Depending on when I start my timing, it will sometimes overtrack by 10 minutes a session, so I have to go into the Work Diary and adjust the time.  Why not use a minute tracker and take snapshots every 10 minutes? 

I have reasons to believe Ivo knows that other freelancers are complaining about over tracking issues. Unfortunately, no official statement has been presented so far, which leaves me with only one "solution": to keep monitoring the time tracker app, which is obviously ridiculous, to say the least.

Employee
16 of 153

Hi Ani, Olga, Setu and others,

To confirm, the Team App does track billable time in 10-minute increments. This is the fairest way possible for both clients and freelancers to account for the time spent each hour.

Some of you have proposed tracking billable time by the minute while still allowing for randomized 10-minute screenshots. We’ve explored this possibility, but as of now have no plans to make this change. Here’s why: in order for your time to be “billable”, there needs to be a random screenshot and user activity.

If you were tracking time by the minute, and later decided to remove a screenshot because you were idle, forgot to turn off the Team App, etc. you would be removing that time as a 10-minute increment. So, even if you were only idle for 30 seconds, you’d be missing out on the 9:30 that you were working. This can quickly add up to you “charging less” time for your work. We don’t want that.

We understand the confusion this can cause. However, we have seen that the Team App accurately measures activity and time spent working. We’ll continue to evaluate this and other suggestions, so keep them coming.

Thanks!

Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
17 of 153

@Ivo V wrote:

Hi Ani, Olga, Setu and others,

To confirm, the Team App does track billable time in 10-minute increments. This is the fairest way possible for both clients and freelancers to account for the time spent each hour. […]

Ivo, please allow me to disagree: this is far from being the fairest way. I always thought that I could rely on the time tracker for accuracy. But now, each time I finish work I have to check my work diary and make sure to delete time that's been over-tracked. So, basically, what your sentence suggests is that Upwork is comfortable with leaving it up to the freelancer to assure that the time he/she tracks is accurate. I don’t think Upwork should be relying on the freelancer’s honesty to “amend” something that’s broken. It’s clear that if the freelancer doesn’t collaborate then the cost of having an app that doesn’t track time accurately is ultimately going to be paid by the client.

Community Leader
Sebastian N Member Since: Sep 22, 2015
18 of 153

Hi Ivo,

maybe the reason is that I don't have a highend laptop to work with but for me the Team App is often unresponsive for a few seconds when I try to turn the tracker on (same thing as Petra mentioned).

The same behaviour happens when I want to change my memo.

Once it didn't notify me when I reached my weekly limit on one of my contracts.

I think it notified me on my other contract though.

I also rarely restart the Team App. This is especially annoying after the workweek ended.

After I turned it on on monday, it didn't show me my weekly limit for the week and I thought oh well guess it will update after I worked for a while.

Then after working 10-20 mins I finally noticed that it didn't take a screenshot yet so I opened the tracker again and saw that it turned itself off without notifying me. Then it was totally unresponsive and I had to restart it.

After restarting, it showed me my weekly limit and worked fine.

Not sure if that was a coincidence or if it always crashes if it wasnt restarted after a workweek ended.

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
19 of 153

Ivo,

It is good that Upwork has created a public thread after hearing of the many issues in the community like here. It is true that the tracker is a lot nicer and has many other features. However when Upwork giveth, Upwork also taketh.

Why were the screensnap and editing features removed? As we speak I currently run both versions just to be able to use this irreplaceable feature. I cannot see why the feature had to be removed. Do you know why?

Now to the main problem that has plagued all version of the application - Time Tracking.

It is true that based on probability and statistics, that both freelancer and client should lose/gain time/money at the same rate which will eventually even out (not on any one contract). But doesn't that sound silly? Why should this be the case? Why is it set in stone? With all the many revisions, noone thought of fixing this problem? Or noone saw it as a problem? Do you know why?

Why is the logging of time (in 10 minute intervals) linked to screenshots? Random screenshots are necessary of course, but why is it linked to time logged? This is the main and only reason why there is a problem of losing time/money in the first place. Why cant both things operate separately, like a normal tracker? This is not rocket science. The tracker can log time in minutes (like a normal clock) and then have a random screenshot anywhere in the 10 minute span as normal. I really don't see why this is so hard to understand? Do you know why Ivo?

These are some serious questions that I, along with many other freelancers need answered. You are the man who requested the questions. This is not something difficult, or negative - it is progressive. Time worked = Time paid, simple.

I eagerly await your response.

-Setu.

Edit: Thanks to Olga for making me aware of this thread. I need to now start visiting this section more often.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the feature that I am requesting is actually already present, just overridden. If the tracker snaps at 10:56 and you stop working, there will be 6 bars in the activity section. However if you continued until 10:59 even after the snap, there would be 9 bars.

So why does Upwork bill in segments of 10 mins, when they already track per minute? Why not bill accurately? Now it makes even less sense why this practice is continued. It needs to be stopped.

And I am not being overtly negative against the brand, I am stating a genuine concern on behalf of freelancers and clients alike.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Employee
20 of 153

Setu,

I’ve answered your time tracker questions in my response to Olga above, but for your specific question about the screensnap and editing features – they were never removed, since we rebuilt the new Team App from scratch. We’re in the process of perfecting those features before we roll them out, but they’ll be coming in the near future. Thanks for bearing with us while we do so!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS