cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancers and clients in Crimea

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
1 of 22

We are disappointed to notify our Community that due to a United States Executive Order, issued December 19th, we are required to close the accounts of all clients and freelancers in Crimea. We have sent an email directly to any affected users with this information.

This restriction only applies to individuals residing in Crimea, not all of Ukraine.

It is greatly unfortunate that American companies and individuals are now prohibited from operating with Crimean based parties, but we regretfully must comply with this new law and have temporarily closed these accounts.

We sincerely hope we can work with our colleagues in Crimea again in the future. oDesk is in the process of applying for a special license to operate in Crimea but these are rarely granted and may take several months to obtain.

Aleksandr K Member Since: Dec 24, 2014
2 of 22

Workaround for oDesk users in Crimea: you may change your city in personal profile data. This should work.I believe.

oDesk mission and intention is to break the walls between people from all over the world, and not to build new walls Smiley Happy

Sergei Z Member Since: Dec 24, 2014
3 of 22

Russia builds this walls, not oDesk. So usual for Russia to try break laws and agreements. Did you read terms and conditions of oDesk? You need to provide truthful about yourself.

oDesk require notarized documents that you are not in Crimea to get back your account. This is right way to do things. So this "workaround" will not work

Sasha P Member Since: Jun 3, 2007
4 of 22

Russia may have built some walls all right. But this does not mean oDesk does not build walls too. My account has nothing to do with Crimea. I live in Kiev since I have opened my account on oDesk in 2007. I have verified my ID to oDesk , using my passport and utility bill. Still, oDesk have blocked my account stating that I am in Crimea. Freelancers, be warned. Odesk is not your friend anymore.

Kostiantyn S Member Since: Dec 24, 2014
5 of 22

Having passed US Export Control exams for 6 years, I would not advise to play with US legislation. IBM once was fined and closed operations in whole former SU for 5 years due to a similar play.

Sasha P Member Since: Jun 3, 2007
6 of 22

No, it won't work. In my profile the city was Kiev ever since I opened my account on oDesk. This did not prevent oDesk from blocking my account. Freelancers, don't be too gullible. You are being lied do.

Eric W Member Since: Jan 26, 2015
7 of 22

Sasha, don't be naive.

It is in odesks best interest to have as many qualified freelancers as possible.

For you to say that some type of conspiracy is going on and that oDesk doesn't care about the freelancer is contrary to reason or common sense; utterly absurd and simply ridiculous.

If for some reason there was a mistake, follow the instructions, they have provided and get your account reinstated... if however you are living in crimea and you are mad that you can't do anything about it, talk to your "Government" ask it to behave.. and bingo, you are back in business. In 2015 the freelance programmer is the soldier.. so be a smart soldier and do what is ultimately best for your people.. complaining here is not gonna accomplish anything for your people, nor yourself..

Happy Freelancing..

Aleksandr K Member Since: Dec 24, 2014
8 of 22

If oDesk require some documents - then it is better to simply register the new account.

Ace Contributor
Igor L Member Since: Dec 23, 2014
9 of 22

That works well if you don't have feedbacks there. Also, that's against the rules so please don't urge others doing that.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 22

You can't register a new account.

That is grounds for being permanently removed from oDesk.

One contractor = one account.