cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancers and clients in Crimea

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
11 of 22

Hi all,

Preston is correct. Please, do not create another account, it is against oDesk Policies and will result in suspension.

Also, please make sure that the location you have listed on your oDesk account reflects your actual location. If you are not residing in Crimea anymore, please follow the instructions in the ticket about how to submit proof.

I cannot express how sorry I feel about this situation. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Aleksandr K Member Since: Dec 24, 2014
12 of 22

Well, it is sad that there is no way for normal people to use oDesk as is without violating TOS or losing feedback history and profile scoreSmiley Sad

I would suggest oDesk legal department to change TOS to become more user-friendly. There are several options to help people and to protect human rights:

- don't take into account city and country information; (a lot of US-based companies don't ask it)

- allow to create new account for users who are suffered from political games

As a long-term solution I would suggest to create a sub-company in one of good neutral countries, for example in Singapore. Then all of freelancers and clients would be able to sign TOS of subcompany "oDesk-Singapore" without any legal consequences.

Maxim B Member Since: Dec 25, 2014
13 of 22

I left Crimea, and now live in Krasnodar due to this new limitation :Smiley Sad
It is really bad. I start working with oDesk since 2008 and ....... :Smiley Sad

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
14 of 22

Aleksandr, as noted by others attempting to create a new profile or manipulate your profile and location is not allowed. This restriction is unfortunate, but it is mandated by law and we must comply. 

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
15 of 22

Interesting thread. While I sympathize with all who have been negatively affected by this US Law, there are valid reasons for these laws; basically to protect the interests of the US, its citizens, and partnering countries.

In addition, contrary to what has appeared in this thread, most US companies do require proof of residence for tax and other reasons before granting employment.

Edited 01/09/2015 RT/lwm

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
16 of 22

As an update to our announcement: We have been given more time to close accounts and we are happy to share that we can now release funds to users in Crimea.

Per our email notice to affected users, we plan to transfer all funds in your account on Tuesday, January 13th to the most recent payment method you have on file. Should this method be incorrect, please respond to the email notice or contact our Customer Support team immediately so that we can update our records and transfer your funds.

Thank you for your patience as we continue to work through this unfortunate situation. We are disappointed this update does not allow us to reopen accounts. We are still in the process of filing a license to operate in Crimea and hope that will provide a better outcome later this year.

Community Guru
Md Rahatur R Member Since: Apr 17, 2013
17 of 22

This is a very sad incident. I can't imagine how bad it might feel for those who live in Crimea. Smiley Sad
Hopefully oDesk will find a workaround.

Frank T Member Since: Sep 22, 2015
18 of 22

Hi there,

I would like to get an answer on EU regulations as well. Are the same restrictions of doing business with individuals/corporations in Crimea valid for EU-based companies as well? Or only for US-based companies?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
19 of 22

Hi Frank,

Unfortunately, due to the sanctions, freelancers in Crimea are not able to use Upwork and work for clients regardless of the clients' locations. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ngati M Member Since: Mar 13, 2018
20 of 22

Moderator, current status, please. Are Upwork and Payoneer still under the restriction to not collaborate with the developers based in Crimea? I'm asking that because I see now I can access the Upwork site, no pop-up message preventing me to enter.

Thank you.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS