🐈
» Support » Resources » Product Release Notes » Freelancers can propose new contracts with ex...
Page options

Freelancers can propose new contracts with existing clients

lenaellis
Community Member

A few months ago, we invited some of you to try a new function that lets freelancers suggest follow-up projects with clients you’ve worked with before.

We heard some great feedback from users here in the forums and through other communication channels.  You told us that although this was a good idea, you would rather propose a new contract on the Upwork site instead of through an email link as we were providing. You also wanted freelancers to have the ability to create a contract for hourly or fixed-price projects, which clients could simply review and approve.

We thought this would be a good idea too, and would perhaps reduce the friction that we sometimes hear from clients and freelancers when trying to rehire for another job. So, in the coming weeks we’ll be releasing a new feature that gives freelancers the ability to propose a new contract with an existing client, straight from the My Jobs page.

Freelancers, once you’ve discussed further opportunities and projects with your client and have agreed on starting a new contract, you can send them a proposed contract by clicking the “Propose New Contract” button from a contract in your My Jobs or All Contracts pages.

freelancerrehire.png

The contract form allows freelancers to set up the contract as hourly or fixed price with proposed milestones. Clients can then simply accept, decline or edit the proposal which will then send an offer back to the freelancer.

contractfreelance rehire.png

Thanks for your feedback, we hope you enjoy this new feature. Let us know if you have any questions.

48 Comments
afifield
Community Member

excellent feature!

md_rasel56
Community Member

Very helpful feature but still now features are not available. 

VladimirG
Community Manager

Hi MD Rasel, 

If you're referring to the feature from this announcement, it scheduled to be released in the next few weeks.

md_rasel56
Community Member

Thank you, Vladimir G.

pixore
Community Member

Great! I was waiting for this and now I'm looking forward to it!

kim_wong
Community Member

Lena, there should be away to propose contracts to anyone that we Upwork message with and not just those that we have have worked with previously.  I have found that after messaging with people in order to learn more about their project needs that the next step is to propose the terms of a contract.  Being able to immediately propose contract terms to them in a way that they can easily accept would be a great additional feature.

Thanks.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Thanks for your feedback, Kim. We'll take it into consideration.

letizia-farisato
Community Member

Fantastic! I'll look forward to it. I know for sure that this feature will be VERY appealing to many clients, who will find things easier this way in Upwork.

jcullinan
Community Member

I could not agree with Kim more on this - especially for clients who are brand new to the platform.

For example, I have a prospect who is asking for a few pages of "rough" layout mock-up, but she doesn't know how to handle hiring me for a finite trial instead of the whole project. If I could set up a contract for her and all she had to do was approve it, I could have the work done already instead of waiting for her to figure out how to do it on her end.

The same goes with closing contracts - we should be able to take care of this kind of administrative stuff for clients with actions that they can just approve, and not get hit on our JSS for offering a higher level of convenience as part of our services.

More tools to help freelancers help clients are always good.

lenaellis
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

This week we are rolling out this feature more broadly. Most of you should now or soon see the "Propose a New Contract" button on your My Jobs page, All Contracts page and in your Messages. 

Thanks!