Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Re: Frequently Asked Questions on TOS changes regarding information sharing and interviews

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
21 of 795

You state: 'But when communications and work stay on the Upwork platform, not only can we track, verify, and address any issues that emerge'. It is implicit that voice and video calls are included in 'communications'.

 

You state that calls are not currently recorded.  Does this mean that calls will be recorded in the future and/or that Upwork employees will listen in on calls (perhaps chosen randomly)?  If this is the case how will compliance with NDAs and similar agreements be addressed? Will freelancers be informed that calls are being recorded or monitored?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
22 of 795

Kim F wrote:

You state: 'But when communications and work stay on the Upwork platform, not only can we track, verify, and address any issues that emerge'. It is implicit that voice and video calls are included in 'communications'.

 

You state that calls are not currently recorded.  Does this mean that calls will be recorded in the future and/or that Upwork employees will listen in on calls (perhaps chosen randomly)?  If this is the case how will compliance with NDAs and similar agreements be addressed? Will freelancers be informed that calls are being recorded or monitored?


Hi Kim, a direct question and a direct answer:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Audio-Video-Calls-and-Privacy/m-p/756146#M461202

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
23 of 795

Maria T wrote:

Kim F wrote:

You state: 'But when communications and work stay on the Upwork platform, not only can we track, verify, and address any issues that emerge'. It is implicit that voice and video calls are included in 'communications'.

 

You state that calls are not currently recorded.  Does this mean that calls will be recorded in the future and/or that Upwork employees will listen in on calls (perhaps chosen randomly)?  If this is the case how will compliance with NDAs and similar agreements be addressed? Will freelancers be informed that calls are being recorded or monitored?


Hi Kim, a direct question and a direct answer:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Audio-Video-Calls-and-Privacy/m-p/756146#M461202


Thanks, Maria. However, the response to that thread only addresses the current situation.  It doesn't say whether recording or monitoring is planned for the future so my question stands.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Lindsey M Member Since: Jan 27, 2019
24 of 795
I don’t see why we can’t still use our scheduling software to schedule calls. My link does not show any contact information. It simply lets the client know when I’m available, and gives them an option of picking a date/time for the call. I still will be using mine and I guess we’ll just use the Upwork site for calls.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
25 of 795

Lindsey M wrote:
I don’t see why we can’t still use our scheduling software to schedule calls. My link does not show any contact information. It simply lets the client know when I’m available, and gives them an option of picking a date/time for the call. I still will be using mine and I guess we’ll just use the Upwork site for calls.

Edit: did a test, confirmed the below:

 

I'd be real curious to know what scheduling software you use, because Calendly requires does require (and shows both parties) email addresses.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Adam P Member Since: Jul 3, 2015
26 of 795
Do you think you could just send the potential client some dates and times that work?

I’ve had hundreds of clients on Upwork and I don’t think one time I’ve ever sent them a calendar link to “grab a number”.

Not dismissing your flow for what works, but is this something that you could do manually for a little while and through conversation?
Highlighted
Active Member
John M Member Since: Feb 7, 2017
27 of 795

Absolutely!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
28 of 795

17. How do I access file-sharing tools (eg, inVision, Google Drive files, Google or Facebook ad accounts) and / or private code services (eg, Github) that require an email address?
We realize that some tools and services require the sharing of an email address to gain access and have been looking into ways to make it possible for you to use those services in the future. In the meantime, please use Upwork Messages, sharing tools and code services that allow for sharing out links to the files without requiring an email address. As an alternative, you can walk through files via screenshare during an interview to help scope the project.

 

Same as 6. You are forcing customers to use "your" tools when until now, a combination of both "yours" and "theirs" was used with good results.
That there are people who break the rules shouldn't make us all pay it. Freelancers and clients.

Highlighted
Active Member
Alex T Member Since: Nov 19, 2017
29 of 795

Please dont make upwork look liek "getafreelancer" site from 2003

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 1, 2018
30 of 795

Having to make audio/video calls through the Upwork platform doesn't itself bother me -- except for the inconvenience of not being able to schedule calls during clients' or my commute times (only happens about 3-5% of the time).  Sometimes, clients will have multiple people on their end for a conference call -- having to get everyone signed in and using Upwork would be an inconvenience, but not insurmountable.

 

What would be really appreciated is if Upwork auto-populates the start of every message channel with standard verbiage that says Freelancers are required to communicate through Upwork until a contracted project is started.  That way, we have an easy out to tell the clients by tapping the sign furiously whenever they ask.  

 

 

 

Just realize that these changes make using Upwork less easy.  Busy professionals do not like being inconvenienced and prevented from using best-of-breed tools for (perceived) dumb reasons.  I suspect we (collectively) will lose some work because of this.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS