cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Frequently Asked Questions on TOS changes regarding information sharing and interviews

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wes C Member Since: May 3, 2019
111 of 816

Re the calling functionality:

Giving the continued reports of issues with video / audio call function that I see in the forum and the inability to test the call functionality without involving a client, waiting on customer support when there's an issue is not a reasonable solution. We need the ability to fall back to a proven, working system when Upwork's fails.

Also, can you confirm that this system is supported in every country that Upwork supports? I've seen reports in the forum that it does not. If it isn't, then exceptions need to be made for communicating with potential clients in those regions.

Re Dropbox integration

Is it really integrated? I don't see it in the list of services in the website's Messenger configuration page, and I don't see any option to link it in the apps. How do we access this integration?

Re Calendly

I said it before, and others have as well. It is generally not possible to quickly coordinate calls over Messenger or any other system that requires back and forth. Most of my client communication is asynchronous, especially for clients on the side of the world. Even for US-based clients, conversations can take place over hours or days due to the parties' availability. We need an exception to be able to use Calendly and similar services until your solution is in place (and functional).

In short, Upwork is forcing policy and workflow changes without the technology in place to support those changes. This is going to result in frustrated clients, lost contracts, and lost revenue.

If Upwork is going to insist on going down this path, please allow the exceptions needed for us to continue to effectively do our work and communicate with potential clients.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
112 of 816

Wes C wrote:

Re Dropbox integration

Is it really integrated? I don't see it in the list of services in the website's Messenger configuration page, and I don't see any option to link it in the apps. How do we access this integration?

Hi Wes,

Dropbox option is available in Messages under the attachment button. Here is a screenshot. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
113 of 816

Valeria K wrote:

Dropbox option is available in Messages under the attachment button. Here is a screenshot. 

Thank you, I didn't think to look there on the website version, since it's not on the attachment button on the desktop or mobile apps. Will those apps be updated to support the Dropbox integration?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
114 of 816

Hi Wes,

It is available on mobile apps as long as you have the Dropbox App and are logged into it on your phone as well. Then you can click the paper clip button, then click Browse and click on the Dropbox icon. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
115 of 816

Thank you, Valeria.

The concerns about the reliability and availability of the audio/video calls and the scheduling functionality remain. We need exceptions to use scheduling tools and for when calling isn't working, please.

Highlighted
Anita N Member Since: Sep 27, 2017
116 of 816

Wes,

I think you are being too kind - We don't need exceptions for when calling isn't working. This would require us to waste time with a non-working call first, frustate the client, and only then be able to use some other means?

Upwork does not seem to understand that the freelancers on this site are, at their core, service providers. Service providers need to make sure that everything is as easy as possible for their clients. We should not have to jump through hoops just to make sure we have a trouble-free phone call!

Highlighted
Community Guru
117 of 816

Anita N wrote:

Wes,

I think you are being too kind - We don't need exceptions for when calling isn't working. This would require us to waste time with a non-working call first, frustate the client, and only then be able to use some other means?

Anita, I understand what you're saying and agree. What I'm asking for with the exceptions is the same thing we have with the products we use today. Skype is having troubles? I'll spin up a Zoom or a Google Meet, or just share my cell. Today we have options.

I'm ok with using their calling functionality during an interview if it works (granted, I've seen no evidence so far that it does since we have no ability to test it without involving a client), but we need the option to fall back on something else. 

Without that option, the freelancer looks like an amateur who can't be bothered with setting up a professional set of tools to work with. It doesn't matter that it's not our choice - we're the face.

It's the same thing with scheduling tools like Calendly. Tools like that are part of the professional work environment now. If UW provides a functional tool for asynchronous calendar scheduling, I'm happy to use it. But it doesn't exist yet. Until then, we need to be able to use the tools that are available, or, again, we look like amateurs.

Highlighted
Anita N Member Since: Sep 27, 2017
118 of 816
All I'm saying Wes is that we shouldn't have to rely on a fallback if or when something fails. We should be free to use any form of communication that is most comfortable for us and our clients.
As you correctly note, this just makes us look like amateurs, not professionals who are being treated like children since the forum we are relying on to do business doesn't trust us.
Also, if I were a client being told I can't speak on a regular phone until I actually hire, I frankly would look elsewhere.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Dana K D Member Since: Aug 16, 2018
119 of 816

Anita, you have 100% summed this up in a neat little nutshell.  What other business entity in the free world dictates that people cannot use the most common and universally available communication tool (a telephone) to determine whether or not they wish to exchange $$$ for goods and services?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
120 of 816

Because that would be just a mite unpopular, eh? Seriously though, this is not going to block scammers at all. Or at least, not in the numbers the site actually NEEDS.

They will get rid of a few bad actors intially, and while we are all bending over backwards to comply, the bad actors will be doing business as normal.

Which is why I say, and am not the only one, there is more to it than that, and not knowing why makes it really hard to argue against.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS