cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Frequently Asked Questions on TOS changes regarding information sharing and interviews

Highlighted
Anita N Member Since: Sep 27, 2017
111 of 785

Wes,

I think you are being too kind - We don't need exceptions for when calling isn't working. This would require us to waste time with a non-working call first, frustate the client, and only then be able to use some other means?

Upwork does not seem to understand that the freelancers on this site are, at their core, service providers. Service providers need to make sure that everything is as easy as possible for their clients. We should not have to jump through hoops just to make sure we have a trouble-free phone call!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wes C Member Since: May 3, 2019
112 of 785

Anita N wrote:

Wes,

I think you are being too kind - We don't need exceptions for when calling isn't working. This would require us to waste time with a non-working call first, frustate the client, and only then be able to use some other means?

Anita, I understand what you're saying and agree. What I'm asking for with the exceptions is the same thing we have with the products we use today. Skype is having troubles? I'll spin up a Zoom or a Google Meet, or just share my cell. Today we have options.

I'm ok with using their calling functionality during an interview if it works (granted, I've seen no evidence so far that it does since we have no ability to test it without involving a client), but we need the option to fall back on something else. 

Without that option, the freelancer looks like an amateur who can't be bothered with setting up a professional set of tools to work with. It doesn't matter that it's not our choice - we're the face.

It's the same thing with scheduling tools like Calendly. Tools like that are part of the professional work environment now. If UW provides a functional tool for asynchronous calendar scheduling, I'm happy to use it. But it doesn't exist yet. Until then, we need to be able to use the tools that are available, or, again, we look like amateurs.

Highlighted
113 of 785
All I'm saying Wes is that we shouldn't have to rely on a fallback if or when something fails. We should be free to use any form of communication that is most comfortable for us and our clients.
As you correctly note, this just makes us look like amateurs, not professionals who are being treated like children since the forum we are relying on to do business doesn't trust us.
Also, if I were a client being told I can't speak on a regular phone until I actually hire, I frankly would look elsewhere.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Dana K D Member Since: Aug 16, 2018
114 of 785

Anita, you have 100% summed this up in a neat little nutshell.  What other business entity in the free world dictates that people cannot use the most common and universally available communication tool (a telephone) to determine whether or not they wish to exchange $$$ for goods and services?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
115 of 785

Because that would be just a mite unpopular, eh? Seriously though, this is not going to block scammers at all. Or at least, not in the numbers the site actually NEEDS.

They will get rid of a few bad actors intially, and while we are all bending over backwards to comply, the bad actors will be doing business as normal.

Which is why I say, and am not the only one, there is more to it than that, and not knowing why makes it really hard to argue against.

Highlighted
116 of 785

Thank you Dana! Well put!

Highlighted
Community Guru
David S M Member Since: Apr 24, 2018
117 of 785

Not really liking this new rule about communicating with clients only on Upwork prior to a contract.  Many clients want to have a verbal conversation prior to hiring, and Upwork's call feature is in need of some serious work for it to be adequate in 2020! I understand why Upwork is making these changes, and I really hope it helps keep work on the site with other freelancers who take work off site prior to a contract, or agree to take work off the site, but if you want us to all use your communication tools, then please fix them. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
118 of 785

David S M wrote:

Not really liking this new rule about communicating with clients only on Upwork prior to a contract.  Many clients want to have a verbal conversation prior to hiring, and Upwork's call feature is in need of some serious work for it to be adequate in 2020! I understand why Upwork is making these changes, and I really hope it helps keep work on the site with other freelancers who take work off site prior to a contract, or agree to take work off the site, but if you want us to all use your communication tools, then please fix them. 

I'm giving out my info like a mad lad right now before the rule goes into effect. Just sold another contract after chatting in Slack. This new rule is dumb and they've managed to kill their revenue makers while the people who take things off platform will just get clients in voice and trade info and keep going. I have to keep my rage on reddit though and on Friday I'm gonna laugh so hard at the drama.

Highlighted
Community Guru
David S M Member Since: Apr 24, 2018
119 of 785

I'm giving out my info like a mad lad right now before the rule goes into effect. Just sold another contract after chatting in Slack. This new rule is dumb and they've managed to kill their revenue makers while the people who take things off platform will just get clients in voice and trade info and keep going. I have to keep my rage on reddit though and on Friday I'm gonna laugh so hard at the drama.

Well, at least we can still communicate off platform with our existing clients. But I'm sure there will come a day when that will be the next rule Upwork announces. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
120 of 785

One possibility is that the culture of using Upwork could shift.

What if it really doesn't matter whether or not the Upwork Messages tool works well... because clients are using WHATEVER COMMUNICATION TOOLS THEY WANT to use?

Remember: The new June 26 policy allows clients to communicate with freelancers ANY WAY they want to, as long as the freelancer has been hired.

My post here provides more details and an example.

A different culture of using the tool would mean (for example):

As a client, I hire freelancers using hourly contracts so that I can meet with them via Zoom. I set up hourly contracts with all of the freelancers I'm interested in. They meet briefly with me and the lead developer... typically for 10 to 20 minutes. After we meet with them via Zoom, we decide which ones to hire (using new contracts) to work on the actual project.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS