cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Frequently Asked Questions on TOS changes regarding information sharing and interviews

Highlighted
Dennis B Member Since: Jan 26, 2016
241 of 595

Dear UpWork team,

What should happen with calendly link and links to external services what has been shared with our clients before 26 June? 

I mean we sent a lot of proposals in May, in June with calendly links and links to our external portfolios and some of our leads would be able to see those links. What should we do with those messages and links?

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
242 of 595

Hi Dennis,

Currently, it's fine to share direct contact information in proposals and communicate with clients by other means outside the platform after they respond to your proposal. Your pending proposals won't be affected after June 26th, when the new TOS restrictions go into effect, as long as the subsequent communication is conducted via Upwork Messages.  Our general recommendation applies to this scenario as well and we do advise that you copy all the files and communication into the message room after each conversation, and ask your client for acknowledgment, in order to keep a record in case a problem arises.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Lucio Ricardo M Member Since: May 16, 2018
243 of 595

Zoom is good for videoconferencing. Upwork is good for coordinating clients and freelancers for work. Neither Upwork will be the better quality solution for videoconferencing, nor Zoom for coordinating clients and freelancers for work. Every people have its niche in society. Pandemics have stressed that each one have specific role in society. Some indispensable for life, some for communication (like zoom), some for working (like Upwork). Even Zoom had problems with its massive demand, but is dedicating all its energy for overcoming it. i think you should partner with zoom if you want to establish such TOS changes, or give freelancers an upwork address. with addresses like the ID in the Upwork profile. If you think that giving freelancers a @upwork.com address will make they appear as Upwork employees, you can give them @fl.upwork.com, and clients @clients.upwork.com. If you want with storage quota restrictions. Even the quota augmenting can be a Freelancer plus perk, and likewise for clients. If you need extra times for implementing it, you can postpone the new TOS appliying. (pandemics has also showed me the value of patience).

Other theme: you may say that you are doing it for freelancer safety, but we (or at least me) have gut feeling and don't engage with suspicious clients.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Lucio Ricardo M Member Since: May 16, 2018
244 of 595

I have tested the Upwork Android app to do a call: it still redirects to the Upwork web page. I think what we are a long way before it is convenient to implement the new Upwork Terms of service.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Solange B Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
245 of 595

That's so true and one of the main problems. I tried Upwork video call last Friday for the first time. 20 seconds into the call we needed to turn off the camera to see if that helped... it didn't. It was impossible to talk, the quality was terrible, so 2 minutes into the call we needed to take it to Zoom, and there, we didn't have any problems.

Highlighted
Shilpa N Member Since: Jul 2, 2017
246 of 595

Most of my projects require a thorough understanding of the project and if the requirement is even possible. The systems I work with like Mindbody/Zapier require a paid account to test the feasibility so the client creates an account with my email address. And sometimes they need to add me to their account for me to check it out. It takes a few hours for me to check the feasibility.

For a system like Trello, they add me to the board for me to check the requirements.

I have said no to a lot of projects because it is not possible by the system.

How do I do this now without sharing my email? Do I need to ask the client to be online while I ask him/her to do all the tests I need to do, which obviously they don't know how to do.I mean they are going to hire me to do all that, why would they need to do it. Do I need to handhold the client through this process now? There is no way to even think creatively about solutions when you are so wrapped up in doing all this.Doesn't make sense for a client too.

Highlighted
Jacob M Member Since: Feb 6, 2018
247 of 595

I also want to echo what others have said, that not having a replacement for Calendly (or any other scheduling tool) makes this process so much more difficult, especially when you're dealing with clients in different timezones.

What I'm worried about is that this will turn clients away from closing projects - they may just find the whole process too much effort. Or they might go to another freelancer who is willing to sidestep the TOS because it's so much easier to work with them that way.

We are professionals who run our own businesses, and it's in our best interests to make the lives of our clients as easy as possible - I would ask that Upwork considers fast-tracking a scheduling tool and making the requested improvements to video calls before they put the revised TOS in place.

Highlighted
James C Member Since: Jun 1, 2020
248 of 595

RE: Calendly/scheduling

Upwork putting in their own scheduling tool doesn't fix the issue, and not everyone uses Calendly. We're not going to setup multiple scheduling services then try to keep them in sync. People will just go around the TOS or use another platform. Scheduling services are implemented when managing time has become problematic. Upwork wants to make it even more so, but many business already have firm scouting/qualifying/hiring processes in place and they're not going to change them just because Upwork wants to be treated like a special flower.

Highlighted
Monica J Member Since: May 4, 2016
249 of 595

You are making things so complicated it's really going to be best to just go to another Freelancing platform I think. I use Calendly every day and now you want me to manage 2 calendars? I already work 12 hours a day so now I can just add another hour or 2 on to manage all this nonsense. You think we Freelancers are not happy about this? Just wait until the clients (yes the ones who are already too busy) find out about the hoops they are going to have to jump through. Another nail in the Upwork coffin.

Highlighted
James C Member Since: Jun 1, 2020
250 of 595

Like the last couple changes, this seems more about protecting Upwork than its users, but I digress. This change is just beyond acceptable. We have a number of contractors on here, some of whom we plan on hiring now a year later, but it's hard to imagine sticking with the Upwork platform in the future. When we interview candidates, we use OUR preferred tools, interact with multiple people not on Upwork, share access to private systems, require an NDA, et al. 

If people want to break your terms and hire people outside your platform, or solicit payment outside your platform, this doesn't really prevent that. There's nothing stopping people from closing the contract immediately and taking the work outside your system. People who want to break the rules and take the risks (making Upwork lose out on that sweet marginal revenue) will still do it. This primarily hurts your best users.

You're supposed to be making it easier for businesses to find talent. This is not that. 

For us, it's back to [literally every other platform] that doesn't try to get in the way of their users' qualifying processes. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS