Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork Calls involving multiple users

Highlighted
Paul C Member Since: May 26, 2020
71 of 785

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Anastasiia,

Yes, you can use sharing tools and code services that allow for sharing out links to the files without requiring an email address.

Thank you for this update, Valeria.

So, do I understand from this that I can give a prospective customer my Github ID so that they can invite me to share a repo by Github User Name (not email address), and can ask for their Github ID?

And, it looks like a prospective client can share data from their google apps, provided they send the link rather than adding me by email as an additional user. That, too, is helpful.

Also, according to these rules, it seems like we can use Calendly or other solutions, provided that we set them up in such a way that they do not disclose our email, and the meetings are scheduled to take place via Upwork conferencing.

Assuming this is all correct, then from my perspective it is livable-with.

Pointless, frankly - people who want to scam and circumvent will still scam and circumvent - and also demonstrating an offensive lack of trust, but at least I will still be able to engage prospective clients in a professional and consultative manner to develop projects.  And I suppose we can still jump over to Zoom whenever Upwork's conferencing is not working properly.

Thank again Valeria.

Chris A Member Since: May 26, 2020
72 of 785

Hi - according to the new TOS, we can only communicate with clients through Upwork before a contract is started. I have just received a question from a client asking if we can do a Zoom call because she has a team member that would like to join the call. Since this person is NOT on Upwork, and I cannot use Zoom or any outside calling methods, how can I complete this call with three people (myself, the client, and her co-worker who is not on Upwork)?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
73 of 785

Chris A wrote:

Hi - according to the new TOS, we can only communicate with clients through Upwork before a contract is started. I have just received a question from a client asking if we can do a Zoom call because she has a team member that would like to join the call. Since this person is NOT on Upwork, and I cannot use Zoom or any outside calling methods, how can I complete this call with three people (myself, the client, and her co-worker who is not on Upwork)?

The new TOS do not come into effect until the 26th

Highlighted
74 of 785

Sure, but this is obviously a question about how to handle this once they do come into effect...

Highlighted
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
75 of 785

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your question. As part of ongoing improvements, we have been looking into giving Upwork account holders the option to invite non-account holders to join a call. We will keep you posted.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Highlighted
76 of 785

This sounds like a long "no" we can't have that call happen. Doesn't that hurt me and the client? What is the timeline for the ability to do/change this? 

I understand Upwork has shareholders to please now, but it seems really shortsighted to have done all these sweeping changes so fast without figuring it out entirely beforehand. 

I would appreciate to know a more clear answer to this, when possible. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
77 of 785

Chris A wrote:

This sounds like a long "no" we can't have that call happen. Doesn't that hurt me and the client? What is the timeline for the ability to do/change this? 

The whole thing is a joke.

Those clients and freelancers who want to stick to the rules are inconvenienced and have to dance on eggshells while bending over backwards so far their head scrapes the ground and those who want to take the relationship out of the platform simply call each other on the Upwork messaging app and say "Call me on my phone, my number is (XXX) XXXX XXX" and my skype ID is jehfrj.333hfh and my email is joe@fhfgfgfgf.com...."

This entire harebrained "this is forbidden unless that is the case, in which case you may do X, but remind Y that W applies" and all the grey areas will lead to absolute pandemonium.

Highlighted
Carlos C Member Since: Jul 15, 2020
78 of 785

Hi, Community.
I am from Brazil.
I am new to upwork and I received one offer from client.
While discussing about job, the client require my mail address for giving me access to his backend and dropbox.
He said he can't send dropbox link via upwork because it is deleting by system.
What should i do now for that?

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
79 of 785

Carlos:
Upwork ToS allows freelancers to provide freelancers with an email address in order to access files that they need to review. Upwork allows freelancers to provide an email address for the purpose of sharing files via Dropbox.

Upwork asks that you use the email address only for that specific purpose.

So what should you do?
You are NOT prohibited by Upwork from doing this.
If you want to do it, you may do so.

ALSO: The client does not care if you provide your "prime" or "personal" email address.
You may create a temporary email address, or project-specific email address, or throwaway email address for this purpose.

Highlighted
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
80 of 785

Hi Carlos,

Please note that users are free to share files via Upwork Messages at any time. Documents can be added into Messages for sharing or you can use Upwork’s integration with Dropbox to share files. Your client can send a Dropbox link by clicking on the attachment icon in the Messages and selecting 'Share via Dropbox' as shown in this screenshot. If critical project information is stored in a system that requires an email address to access, you can share your email address for this purpose only. Remember all communications before a contract starts must take place on Upwork. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS