Highlighted
Anita N Member Since: Sep 27, 2017
121 of 792

Thank you Dana! Well put!

Highlighted
Community Guru
David S M Member Since: Apr 24, 2018
122 of 792

Not really liking this new rule about communicating with clients only on Upwork prior to a contract.  Many clients want to have a verbal conversation prior to hiring, and Upwork's call feature is in need of some serious work for it to be adequate in 2020! I understand why Upwork is making these changes, and I really hope it helps keep work on the site with other freelancers who take work off site prior to a contract, or agree to take work off the site, but if you want us to all use your communication tools, then please fix them. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
123 of 792

David S M wrote:

Not really liking this new rule about communicating with clients only on Upwork prior to a contract.  Many clients want to have a verbal conversation prior to hiring, and Upwork's call feature is in need of some serious work for it to be adequate in 2020! I understand why Upwork is making these changes, and I really hope it helps keep work on the site with other freelancers who take work off site prior to a contract, or agree to take work off the site, but if you want us to all use your communication tools, then please fix them. 

I'm giving out my info like a mad lad right now before the rule goes into effect. Just sold another contract after chatting in Slack. This new rule is dumb and they've managed to kill their revenue makers while the people who take things off platform will just get clients in voice and trade info and keep going. I have to keep my rage on reddit though and on Friday I'm gonna laugh so hard at the drama.

Highlighted
Community Guru
124 of 792

I'm giving out my info like a mad lad right now before the rule goes into effect. Just sold another contract after chatting in Slack. This new rule is dumb and they've managed to kill their revenue makers while the people who take things off platform will just get clients in voice and trade info and keep going. I have to keep my rage on reddit though and on Friday I'm gonna laugh so hard at the drama.

Well, at least we can still communicate off platform with our existing clients. But I'm sure there will come a day when that will be the next rule Upwork announces. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
125 of 792

One possibility is that the culture of using Upwork could shift.

What if it really doesn't matter whether or not the Upwork Messages tool works well... because clients are using WHATEVER COMMUNICATION TOOLS THEY WANT to use?

Remember: The new June 26 policy allows clients to communicate with freelancers ANY WAY they want to, as long as the freelancer has been hired.

My post here provides more details and an example.

A different culture of using the tool would mean (for example):

As a client, I hire freelancers using hourly contracts so that I can meet with them via Zoom. I set up hourly contracts with all of the freelancers I'm interested in. They meet briefly with me and the lead developer... typically for 10 to 20 minutes. After we meet with them via Zoom, we decide which ones to hire (using new contracts) to work on the actual project.

Highlighted
Community Guru
126 of 792

As a client, I hire freelancers using hourly contracts so that I can meet with them via Zoom. I set up hourly contracts with all of the freelancers I'm interested in. They meet briefly with me and the lead developer... typically for 10 to 20 minutes. After we meet with them via Zoom, we decide which ones to hire (using new contracts) to work on the actual project.

This sounds like an extreme rarity, only applicable to niche specializations or markets, perhaps? Anyhow, I've never encountered a client that I thought would consider starting hourly contracts, and paying freelancers just to interview them via an outside communication tool. I wish I could find such clients but I won't hold my breath.  I always found interviews and other non-billable practices to be an annoyance. That's one of the reasons that I focus on building and retaining long-term clients for repeat work...which can have downfalls on this platform, but that's a subject for a different thread. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: May 14, 2017
127 of 792

Wait. I was totally unaware of this. No more SKYPE before getting hired? About half the clients I talk to want to SKYPE first, then hire.

Am I misunderstanding something here?

Thanks.

Virginia

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
128 of 792

Virginia F wrote:

Wait. I was totally unaware of this. No more SKYPE before getting hired? About half the clients I talk to want to SKYPE first, then hire.

Am I misunderstanding something here?

Thanks.

Virginia

Virginia, that is correct. Until you have a contract, all communication must remain in the Upwork message center. You can use their call system/video system or their email messaging, but until there is a contract, sharing outside contact information is prohibited and will be a TOS violation starting Friday. 

Fun, huh?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: May 14, 2017
129 of 792

It's no problem. I was just not aware.

Now - I have a client with whom I communicate strictly via SKYPE. She's out of business until September, so we canceled until then. When she contacts me in the fall, is she considered a new client or can we go right back onto SKYPE.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
130 of 792

Virginia F wrote:

It's no problem. I was just not aware.

Now - I have a client with whom I communicate strictly via SKYPE. She's out of business until September, so we canceled until then. When she contacts me in the fall, is she considered a new client or can we go right back onto SKYPE.

Thanks.

I think if you have an ongoing or previous contract then it's fine. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS