Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Re: New rule about communication prior to a contract

Highlighted
Community Guru
David S M Member Since: Apr 24, 2018
121 of 785

As a client, I hire freelancers using hourly contracts so that I can meet with them via Zoom. I set up hourly contracts with all of the freelancers I'm interested in. They meet briefly with me and the lead developer... typically for 10 to 20 minutes. After we meet with them via Zoom, we decide which ones to hire (using new contracts) to work on the actual project.


This sounds like an extreme rarity, only applicable to niche specializations or markets, perhaps? Anyhow, I've never encountered a client that I thought would consider starting hourly contracts, and paying freelancers just to interview them via an outside communication tool. I wish I could find such clients but I won't hold my breath.  I always found interviews and other non-billable practices to be an annoyance. That's one of the reasons that I focus on building and retaining long-term clients for repeat work...which can have downfalls on this platform, but that's a subject for a different thread. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: May 14, 2017
122 of 785

Wait. I was totally unaware of this. No more SKYPE before getting hired? About half the clients I talk to want to SKYPE first, then hire.

 

Am I misunderstanding something here?

 

Thanks.

 

Virginia

Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
123 of 785

Virginia F wrote:

Wait. I was totally unaware of this. No more SKYPE before getting hired? About half the clients I talk to want to SKYPE first, then hire.

 

Am I misunderstanding something here?

 

Thanks.

 

Virginia


Virginia, that is correct. Until you have a contract, all communication must remain in the Upwork message center. You can use their call system/video system or their email messaging, but until there is a contract, sharing outside contact information is prohibited and will be a TOS violation starting Friday. 


Fun, huh?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: May 14, 2017
124 of 785

It's no problem. I was just not aware.

Now - I have a client with whom I communicate strictly via SKYPE. She's out of business until September, so we canceled until then. When she contacts me in the fall, is she considered a new client or can we go right back onto SKYPE.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
125 of 785

Virginia F wrote:

It's no problem. I was just not aware.

Now - I have a client with whom I communicate strictly via SKYPE. She's out of business until September, so we canceled until then. When she contacts me in the fall, is she considered a new client or can we go right back onto SKYPE.

Thanks.


I think if you have an ongoing or previous contract then it's fine. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: May 14, 2017
126 of 785

Thanks, Amanda.

Highlighted
Active Member
Rahul Kumar S Member Since: Jan 9, 2019
127 of 785

Hey, I have some video testimonials from my previous clients and I've already uploaded it to youtube. So can I include the video testimonials links in my profile and proposals?

 

Thanks

Highlighted
Moderator
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
128 of 785

Hi Rahul,

 

Yes, you can include video testimonials you mentioned in your profile Portfolio and proposals as long as those videos do not contain contact information and/or requests to contact you outside of Upwork.

Highlighted
Community Guru
David S M Member Since: Apr 24, 2018
129 of 785

Amanda L wrote:

Virginia F wrote:

It's no problem. I was just not aware.

Now - I have a client with whom I communicate strictly via SKYPE. She's out of business until September, so we canceled until then. When she contacts me in the fall, is she considered a new client or can we go right back onto SKYPE.

Thanks.


I think if you have an ongoing or previous contract then it's fine. 


Amanda is correct, if you have an ongoing or previous contract with a client,  you can continue to go right back to SKYPE without worry. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Steven E. L Member Since: May 5, 2015
130 of 785

David S M wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

I think if you have an ongoing or previous contract then it's fine. 


... if you have [a] ... previous contract with a client, you can continue to go right back to SKYPE without worry. 


What official source is being used as a reference to validate this statement?

Unless there is an active, paying contract in place, all communication must go through Upwork's funky messenger.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS