Re: New rule about communication prior to a contract

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: May 14, 2017
131 of 794

Thanks, Amanda.

Highlighted
Rahul Kumar S Member Since: Jan 9, 2019
132 of 794

Hey, I have some video testimonials from my previous clients and I've already uploaded it to youtube. So can I include the video testimonials links in my profile and proposals?

Thanks

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
133 of 794

Hi Rahul,

Yes, you can include video testimonials you mentioned in your profile Portfolio and proposals as long as those videos do not contain contact information and/or requests to contact you outside of Upwork.

Highlighted
Community Guru
David S M Member Since: Apr 24, 2018
134 of 794

Amanda L wrote:

Virginia F wrote:

It's no problem. I was just not aware.

Now - I have a client with whom I communicate strictly via SKYPE. She's out of business until September, so we canceled until then. When she contacts me in the fall, is she considered a new client or can we go right back onto SKYPE.

Thanks.

I think if you have an ongoing or previous contract then it's fine. 

Amanda is correct, if you have an ongoing or previous contract with a client,  you can continue to go right back to SKYPE without worry. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Steven E. L Member Since: May 5, 2015
135 of 794

David S M wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

I think if you have an ongoing or previous contract then it's fine. 

... if you have [a] ... previous contract with a client, you can continue to go right back to SKYPE without worry. 

What official source is being used as a reference to validate this statement?

Unless there is an active, paying contract in place, all communication must go through Upwork's funky messenger.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
136 of 794

Hi Virginia,

If you have had a contract with this client before on Upwork, you may use any communication methods you choose, even if you don't have an active contract with them at the moment. However, something to keep in mind is that when communications stay on our platform we can better track, verify, and help address any issues that emerge.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
137 of 794

Valeria K wrote:

If you have had a contract with this client before on Upwork, you may use any communication methods you choose, even if you don't have an active contract with them at the moment. However, something to keep in mind is that when communications stay on our platform we can better track, verify, and help address any issues that emerge.

There are no issues to track, verify, and address if there's no contract in place.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
138 of 794

Preston H wrote:

A different culture of using the tool would mean (for example):

As a client, I hire freelancers using hourly contracts so that I can meet with them via Zoom. I set up hourly contracts with all of the freelancers I'm interested in. They meet briefly with me and the lead developer... typically for 10 to 20 minutes. After we meet with them via Zoom, we decide which ones to hire (using new contracts) to work on the actual project.

No, that's not a solution. I'm not going to agree to be hired by a client - even briefly - unless I talk to them FIRST. Otherwise I'd have to accept a contract even though I don't have what I need to start the project, so if the client doesn't show up for the meeting, I'd end up with a nothing-paid hit to my JSS. And even if the call does go ahead but I'm one of the rejected candidates - the client doesn't like my process or agree with my rate or whatever - they're not going to give me a glowing review, are they? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
139 of 794

Christine:
You are right.

This isn't a "solution."

I'm posing a question about a way to "thread the needle":
Upwork doesn't want clients and freelancers to talk using outside communication tools before a freelancer has been hired. But Upwork does not provide any tools that reliably allow freelancers and clients to do that in ways that many are accustomed to.

Christine, you and others pointed out some definite problems with the scenario or "possible future culture" I described.

If Upwork really does NOT want freelancers and clients to talk off-platform, I can imagine something else... which is also far-fetched:

What if Upwork charged clients to speak live via audio or videoconferencing with freelancers?
But there is no "contract" and no way for clients to rate the freelancers?

This represents a totally different service that Upwork could theoretically provide:
Click a button and start a video- or audio-call, and your credit card is automatically billed for that time. The freelancer you talk to earns 80% of her hourly rate during the duration of the call.

Personally, I would go along with that. I would rather get paid for these pre-contract conversations than NOT get paid for them.

And if a client just chatted with me, asking about his project for an hour and never hired me... That's cool. I got paid for my time.

Of course, for that to work, Upwork would need a rock-solid reliable video/audio-call system, which it does not have. So we're back to where we started.

But, yeah... as a concept, I would go along with that.

Highlighted
Community Guru
140 of 794

Preston H wrote:

This represents a totally different service that Upwork could theoretically provide:
Click a button and start a video- or audio-call, and your credit card is automatically billed for that time.

OMG. The help we are looking for, this is not it.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS