Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can the interview made outside upwork

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Valerie S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
561 of 950

Sean S wrote:

This (screenshot below) was the offical reply given earlier today regarding similar questions. I'm not educated in the law. I don't know how valid or legally binding any of this is. Just passing along the official response that was given regarding the subject from various people asking.

ToS-updates-Valeria.JPG

Keyword here is...WAS...where did this go, I can't find it????? (Not to mention this official response sounds very much fitting of your earlier mentioned Shrek/Pinnochio comparison)...

NEVERMIND!  Sorry, I found it.  However, it still sounds like Shrek/Pinnochio.  

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
George S Member Since: Jun 2, 2011
562 of 950

Sean S wrote:

George S wrote:

Where are the exceptions mentioned in the new TOS ?

The agreement between Upwork and myself is on the bases of the TOS document not a forum post! If the exceptions listed here are not specifically included in the TOS, then they are non-binding and pretty much meaningless.

This (screenshot below) was the offical reply given earlier today regarding similar questions. I'm not educated in the law. I don't know how valid or legally binding any of this is. Just passing along the official response that was given regarding the subject from various people asking.

ToS-updates-Valeria.JPG

Have you ever signed a contract specifically saying that you cannot do something and then after signing it the guy tells you ..."oh, don't worry too much, you can still do it under this and that condition" ?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
563 of 950

George S wrote:

Sean S wrote:

George S wrote:

Where are the exceptions mentioned in the new TOS ?

The agreement between Upwork and myself is on the bases of the TOS document not a forum post! If the exceptions listed here are not specifically included in the TOS, then they are non-binding and pretty much meaningless.

ToS-updates-Valeria.JPG

Have you ever signed a contract specifically saying that you cannot do something and then after signing it the guy tells you ..."oh, don't worry too much, you can still do it under this and that condition" ?

Really, I think that since when a decision is made against a freelancer, we are told that what he/she did goes against TOS (sadly not specified), I hope that the exceptions are reflected in the TOS.
What will they tell us now?
"Broke the TOS and the exception reflected in the thread on the topic found on page 600"

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Sean S Member Since: Mar 2, 2020
564 of 950

George,

I agree that it's definitely NOT the best way to handle something like TOS. Especially when violations against these TOS can result in site ban/loss of income. So the TOS should be in full detail in one specific location, for quick reference, and not spread out all over a community thread.

That said, I was just passing what Valeria and Vladimir stated as their official answers on the subject. Also, it does seem to be their normal way of operating: "Hi freelancer, please see this Help Article/Community Post regarding this matter." So I'm sure with it all being Upwork, the changes would hold up if found and referenced. But again, this should NOT be the case with TOS.

How can a new user agree to the TOS if they were unaware that they needed to join and peruse the community threads for any changes? Then one day they get a slap on the wrist educational message from the Upwork team that they violated TOS per a related community post...absurd. 

Highlighted
Aileen T Member Since: Feb 2, 2020
565 of 950
Hi!

My client sent me a zoom link account for a pre-contract interview. Is it okay to accept it given the updated terms of service? I can't see if he has an enterprise badge.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
566 of 950

If he does not have an Enterprise account then no. 

Highlighted
Sami A Member Since: Jun 27, 2020
567 of 950

I am bidding on a project where the client asked to show a website that I created. Can I share website links to show him my portfolio/work?

Highlighted
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
568 of 950

Hi Sami,

Yes! We know sharing your past work is important. That is why we are not prohibiting the sharing of external links to personal portfolios or other websites that provide examples of past work. We recognize that some of these links might include contact information and ways to identify and contact you outside of the Upwork platform. When you share these outside links, please remind potential clients to only communicate with you through Upwork until a contract is in place.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Highlighted
Sami A Member Since: Jun 27, 2020
569 of 950

I want to know, can I share my email with my client? I am creating his website and I need to get a dropbox link + his email to attach with the forms on his website. Please let me know.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
570 of 950

Sami A wrote:

I want to know, can I share my email with my client? I am creating his website and I need to get a dropbox link + his email to attach with the forms on his website. Please let me know.

If you have already been hired then yes, absolutely!

If you have not been hired yet you should not be creating his website yet.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS