cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Frequently Asked Questions on TOS changes regarding information sharing and interviews

Highlighted
Sami A Member Since: Jun 27, 2020
531 of 894

I am bidding on a project where the client asked to show a website that I created. Can I share website links to show him my portfolio/work?

Highlighted
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
532 of 894

Hi Sami,

Yes! We know sharing your past work is important. That is why we are not prohibiting the sharing of external links to personal portfolios or other websites that provide examples of past work. We recognize that some of these links might include contact information and ways to identify and contact you outside of the Upwork platform. When you share these outside links, please remind potential clients to only communicate with you through Upwork until a contract is in place.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Highlighted
533 of 894

I want to know, can I share my email with my client? I am creating his website and I need to get a dropbox link + his email to attach with the forms on his website. Please let me know.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
534 of 894

Sami A wrote:

I want to know, can I share my email with my client? I am creating his website and I need to get a dropbox link + his email to attach with the forms on his website. Please let me know.

If you have already been hired then yes, absolutely!

If you have not been hired yet you should not be creating his website yet.

Highlighted
535 of 894

Petra R wrote:

Sami A wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Sami A wrote:

He hired me. His website is complete, just a few details are remaining and I need to share email to complete my work.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
536 of 894

re: "He hired me. His website is complete, just a few details are remaining and I need to share email to complete my work."

If he already hired you, then share your email, phone number, Zoom, Skype, anything.

These new rules about keeping communication on Upwork ONLY APPLY to BEFORE a client has hired after a freelancer.

Highlighted
Ryan M Member Since: Jan 2, 2018
537 of 894

This is ridiculous.

Was the goal of the TOS change to make it more difficult for freelancers? Because it does.

Are you familiar with the law of unintended consequences?  Well, I know I won’t be responding to as many clients because it will just take too long and too much effort to schedule a call. 

But, I guess Upwork doesn’t care because it’s only freelancers time and energy that is being spent.

The fact that Upwork didn't have a Calendly replacement ready to go tells me that they obviously didn't think the TOS change through.  

Here is a tip, next time ask some of your stakeholders how a change like this will impact them before forcing it through.

That said, there are other ways to look at this, including they prioritizing enterprise work.

Highlighted
Corey J Member Since: Jun 28, 2020
538 of 894

Has the update taken effect? I can't see any notices anywhere, and all I got was one email a month ago. I thought clients were supposed to be notified?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
539 of 894

re: "Has the update taken effect?"

The official policy is now in effect, as of yesterday, 26 June 2020.

The complete implementation of the policy and accompanying changes in how the site actually functions will occur over the following weeks and years.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Valerie S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
540 of 894

I'm guessing there's a lot more people following this thread that are not aware of this lovely new change that we were not informed of, so I figured I'd drop it here, it is pretty important, for most of us!

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Feedback-Removal/m-p/773457#M471935

Apparently the feedback removal perk for Top Rated is no longer a perk.

Nobody knows what it is, since we haven't received an actual "decipherable" answer on same, but my guess is it seems to go hand in hand with the changes we just had slammed in our face in regards to the haphazardly updated ToS.

Good luck if you tried your best but weren't able to vet a client properly ... due to the new **edited for Community Guidelines** ToS.  

UPDATE: Apparently Lena came back with a reply and it's no longer an issue, has been fixed, so sorry, we just wanted to see you all panic. The reasons still make no sense but it has supposedly been fixed.

Watch your backs, every single day it's some new spectacular surprise!!!!!  It's like a thousand bad birthdays, or something...

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS