cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Frequently Asked Questions on TOS changes regarding information sharing and interviews

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
531 of 785

Tatyana N wrote:

This new "no communication" outside of Upwork prior to contract just cost me an interview - I got an invite - submitted a proposal - then I was asked about my availability for an interview - I politely explained that we can talk, just thru Upwork platform - and the response was "I am withdrawing my offer to interview. Going with someone smoother. Have hired on the platform many times in the past".  

Horrible, just horrible.

Highlighted
McKay S Member Since: Oct 19, 2018
532 of 785

Is anyone at Upwork going to be held accountable if this goes terribly wrong?

Highlighted
Tatyana N Member Since: Feb 13, 2019
533 of 785
Highly doubt it. It was Upwork Plus Client and an ongoing project as well. Obviously, the client might not have been aware of the change - and he is right - there were no problems before with using whatever means of communication we chose. It just rubs me the wrong way that it could have been a new freelancer losing a chance to even interview over this. Would be interesting to see if anyone gets hired
Highlighted
Community Guru
Steven E. L Member Since: May 5, 2015
534 of 785

Tatyana N wrote:
Highly doubt it. It was Upwork Plus Client and an ongoing project as well ...

uh oh. I don't think the new contact rules apply to Plus Clients.

(not that the burden to sort this nonsense out should fall upon the freelancer)

Highlighted
535 of 785
The new rules apply to Plus clients as well - it’s the Enterprise clients that are excluded.
Highlighted
537 of 785
What is also super irritating is that it had NOTHING to do with my skills.
Highlighted
Francisco S Member Since: Apr 24, 2020
537 of 785

I am pretty sure this was asked before, but i can not find it. Suppose, I already finished a project with a client, and contract was closed; if we start a new discussion for a new possible job, can we share contact details? Or we still need to wait until a contract is in place?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
538 of 785

Hi Francisco,

Yes, if you have had a contract with this client before on Upwork, you may use any communication methods you choose, even if you don't have an active contract with them at the moment.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Alexander S Member Since: May 10, 2019
539 of 785

I have a question regarding how this is actually being rolled out?

The other day (as a freelancer) I was talking to a client and had a chat with him on Skype. It was a screw-up by me (I got the dates of the new rule rolling out mixed up), and once I realized immediately contacted Upwork support, apologized and explained it was a genuine mix-up. They were super cool about it and realized it was an accident and that, as it's going into place there are going to be probably many cases liike mine.

However, when the client and I were in talks in the Upwork chat - both mentioning Skype multiple times - there no was popup, nothing to "remind" either of us that it's now against TOS to take conversations off Upwork etc.

I, myself, am now fully aware - but the client also indicated he received no popups or warnings either. I also have a client account as I do the odd bit of hiring as well, and when I listed two jobs a couple of days ago there was ZERO messages/warnings saying... "you must keep communication on Upwork, please remember this etc."

Am I missing something here? As I said, I am now FULLY aware that it's against TOS and won't be repeating my mistake. But what are you doing to warn the clients and make SURE they realize they can't just ask freelancers for their Skype ID. In the majority of cases, I can't see clients being too attracted to working with me if it's ME that has to say "sorry, can't chat to you on Skype because of Upwork's rules - read the TOS". I feel Upwork should be making this ABUNDANDLEY clear to clients both when creating the job and when talking in Upwork conversations.

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
540 of 785

Alexander S wrote:

Am I missing something here? As I said, I am now FULLY aware that it's against TOS and won't be repeating my mistake. But what are you doing to warn the clients and make SURE they realize they can't just ask freelancers for their Skype ID. In the majority of cases, I can't see clients being too attracted to working with me if it's ME that has to say "sorry, can't chat to you on Skype because of Upwork's rules - read the TOS". I feel Upwork should be making this ABUNDANDLEY clear to clients both when creating the job and when talking in Upwork conversations.

Thanks

They have not done an updates anywhere on the site about this. I have tested this all over the place.

What we need is a large pop-up that shows up in a NEWLY created Room that has the contact rules on it. EVERY TIME, unless its with the same 2 people from another contract.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS