cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Frequently Asked Questions on TOS changes regarding information sharing and interviews

Highlighted
Tatyana N Member Since: Feb 13, 2019
541 of 811
The new rules apply to Plus clients as well - it’s the Enterprise clients that are excluded.
Highlighted
Tatyana N Member Since: Feb 13, 2019
543 of 811
What is also super irritating is that it had NOTHING to do with my skills.
Highlighted
Francisco S Member Since: Apr 24, 2020
543 of 811

I am pretty sure this was asked before, but i can not find it. Suppose, I already finished a project with a client, and contract was closed; if we start a new discussion for a new possible job, can we share contact details? Or we still need to wait until a contract is in place?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
544 of 811

Hi Francisco,

Yes, if you have had a contract with this client before on Upwork, you may use any communication methods you choose, even if you don't have an active contract with them at the moment.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Alexander S Member Since: May 10, 2019
545 of 811

I have a question regarding how this is actually being rolled out?

The other day (as a freelancer) I was talking to a client and had a chat with him on Skype. It was a screw-up by me (I got the dates of the new rule rolling out mixed up), and once I realized immediately contacted Upwork support, apologized and explained it was a genuine mix-up. They were super cool about it and realized it was an accident and that, as it's going into place there are going to be probably many cases liike mine.

However, when the client and I were in talks in the Upwork chat - both mentioning Skype multiple times - there no was popup, nothing to "remind" either of us that it's now against TOS to take conversations off Upwork etc.

I, myself, am now fully aware - but the client also indicated he received no popups or warnings either. I also have a client account as I do the odd bit of hiring as well, and when I listed two jobs a couple of days ago there was ZERO messages/warnings saying... "you must keep communication on Upwork, please remember this etc."

Am I missing something here? As I said, I am now FULLY aware that it's against TOS and won't be repeating my mistake. But what are you doing to warn the clients and make SURE they realize they can't just ask freelancers for their Skype ID. In the majority of cases, I can't see clients being too attracted to working with me if it's ME that has to say "sorry, can't chat to you on Skype because of Upwork's rules - read the TOS". I feel Upwork should be making this ABUNDANDLEY clear to clients both when creating the job and when talking in Upwork conversations.

Thanks

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
546 of 811

Alexander S wrote:

Am I missing something here? As I said, I am now FULLY aware that it's against TOS and won't be repeating my mistake. But what are you doing to warn the clients and make SURE they realize they can't just ask freelancers for their Skype ID. In the majority of cases, I can't see clients being too attracted to working with me if it's ME that has to say "sorry, can't chat to you on Skype because of Upwork's rules - read the TOS". I feel Upwork should be making this ABUNDANDLEY clear to clients both when creating the job and when talking in Upwork conversations.

Thanks

They have not done an updates anywhere on the site about this. I have tested this all over the place.

What we need is a large pop-up that shows up in a NEWLY created Room that has the contact rules on it. EVERY TIME, unless its with the same 2 people from another contract.

Highlighted
547 of 811

Pandora H wrote:

Alexander S wrote:

Thanks

They have not done an updates anywhere on the site about this. I have tested this all over the place.

What we need is a large pop-up that shows up in a NEWLY created Room that has the contact rules on it. EVERY TIME, unless its with the same 2 people from another contract.

Yes, i could not agree more. Like, I think it's important to remember there are always going to be freelancers willing to take the risk and go off platform to chat - and, unforutnately, there are many clients who will want this. I really do think the onus on making it clear we CANNOT take chats off of Upwork should be directed at the clients. Otherwise It's just going to be so difficult, and explaining to clients I can't add them on Skype etc - they're simply going to chat with someone else.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Filip K Member Since: May 22, 2017
548 of 811

Seems nobody from Upwork officialy confirmed that clients are informed, as well as freelancers, about changes of ToS. So, I just started pasting the clients this thread when they ask for an interview outside Upwork.

I politely tell them it's against new ToS provided by Upwork and send the forum links. 

What else can I do? Smiley Happy

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Tony S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
549 of 811
I'm now telling prospects to use internal voice feature instead of zoom,
but none of them know about TOS changes... One knew, but he understood that
as a RECOMMENDATION, not a requirement.
Highlighted
550 of 811

Come on Upwork,

I respect your platform, I appreciate it gives me a place to do business and - essentially - provide for my family and I...

But if you're going to make SUCH a big change (and believe it or not, telling clients we're unable to talk to them off the platform for most freelancers is a MAJOR change) you've got to making sure you're informing clients - and if you have been, clearly you've not been doing a good enough job.

Look at the last 5 or 6 messages, EVERY single message is discussing the fact that clients aren't being notified. You're asking us to (some SIGNIFICANTLY) change our entire onboarding/closing method, I think the very least you guys could do is make sure that you're safeguarding US as freelancers so we're not penalized unfairly by clients who don't know about the TOS change/aren't taking it seriously.

Is it really that hard to put something like a yellow highlighted bar at the top of every new message screen making it incredibly clear it is AGAINST TOS for freelancers (and clients) to take comms off platform before a project is started. I feel that this is somethihg which would take a minimal amount of time to implement and would get the message across to clients - many of whom are LITERALLY unaware of the change.

Please work with us on this; we're trying our best to adapt and abide by your new changes, it would be great to see you listening to the community, especially when - for many of us - this is (virtually) our sole income source.

Thank you, and I'm not having a dig - just frustrated that it's clear clients aren't getting the picture.

Alex

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS